Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 06-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #1
Boli
Cooling Savant

Default What do you recon?

I have NO IDEA is this will work, and add to the fact that I have no funds, or access to machinery; this is just Theory (I'm a tad bored, washing dishes can only take up so much time up in the day).

OK.. the principle is thus: Peltiers provide a tempearature difference across both of its surfaces and if you cool the hot side well you can get sub zero temperatures on the other side.

But what if you didn't cool it so well, your temperatures wouldn't be as low.

See the diagram below:

It could be made to fit in a 5 1/4" bay(s). and is an extention (or replacement I don't know how good it could be) to the huge raditors you would need to get ambiant temperatures (NOTE: Ambient, not sub-zero) in water cooling systems.

The Pelter is the white line between the two copper heat sinks and the principle is the water comes in passes over the heatsink tranfering heat to the copper which in turn transfers the heat to the other heatsink on the outside by use of the Peltier. (It could work without the Peltier there *shrugs*) The Outer HS is then cooled by 3 small 40mm fans.

Because the Peltier is not seriously cooled it shoud only make a small differnce in the temp and condensation would not be a problem (one of the main reason people shy away from Peltier I think it certainly is for me and the fact that water cooling a Peltier can cause the liquid to turn into steam and ruin your entire case as pipes explode under preasure One fact that casued me to think maybe you can just air cool the thing it would be a lot safer.). but it is cooled sufficiently well to lower the liquid.

So if you have a couple of small 80mm radiators (as I have, the larger Raditors/heatercores won't be able to fit in my case) reachin ambiant requiers required 4 80mm fans turnedup to full (noisy), maybe the Peltier cooled water will be able to take the temps to ambiant wilth only a nice draft flowing through the raditors and not a tornado.

Asumming you fit an internal Peltier PSU and use the front above the fans to act as a switch board allowing you to turn your Peltier on and reduce the speed of your 40mm fans to reduce noise. it should only take up 2x 5 1/4" bays.

The goal here is ambiant tempreatures not sub zero temp. and hopefully with an extra 10oC

In simple terms it is just a small water chiller, and you would get the same effect running your pipes thorugh your fridge.

~ Boli

(Just a thought)
Attached Images
File Type: gif hmmm.gif (10.0 KB, 83 views)
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2003, 03:09 AM   #2
]JR[
Cooling Neophyte

Itll work if you go for a couple of good size tecs, and no tecs inside the system, i.e. use the 'cooler' water to cool the wc loop, if you put tecs inside the wc loop it wont cope. Its an alright method to get round using a large/bulky rad, albeit at the price of a dedicated psu and some tecs, and a couple of quality heatsinks. Id recommend alpha8045's.

The other problem is condensation prevention and insulation if you go 'too' subambient and drop below the dew point. If you temperature control the water to always be 1degree above the dew point (temerature and humidity sensor needed) then all would be good

]JR[
]JR[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That's been done.

The first limit is the size of the Peltier, because you'd have a hard time using anything that's more than 80 Watts, because the HSF simply can't transfer that much heat. Of course you can use more than one...

Otherwise, you're using the pelt as a water chiller.

If your goal is to avoid condensation, there are better ways: insulate! You should insulate anyways.

You'll have to figure out the min and max temps you'll reach, then lookup a condensation chart, to see what would fit.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2003, 09:06 AM   #4
Boli
Cooling Savant

*shrugs*
I'm just playing around with theory. I have no intention of doing anything about it, but maybe someone else will like the idea and try something. 80W Peltiers you should be able to run them off a 400W PSU though.

I thought it was too good an idea to waste. it could be a very compact way to shave 5oC off the temp (at virtually no noise increase).
Unread 06-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
msv
Cooling Savant

Cooling the water, will there be a risk for condensation on the res and tubing, or is just me being paranoid?
regards
Mikael S.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #6
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Quote:
will there be a risk for condensation on the res and tubing
and on the MB, chipset, video card, etc etc

You have to be real careful insulating. I've even had water form on my insulated tubing!
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2003, 12:23 AM   #7
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Boli
*shrugs*
I'm just playing around with theory. I have no intention of doing anything about it, but maybe someone else will like the idea and try something. 80W Peltiers you should be able to run them off a 400W PSU though.

I thought it was too good an idea to waste. it could be a very compact way to shave 5oC off the temp (at virtually no noise increase).
Shaving 5C would probably require somewhere between 200-400w of pelt depending on various factors. You'll need two 400w supplies.

Or you could put the pelts directly on the CPU and lower the CPU temps but several times as much
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2003, 04:13 AM   #8
Boli
Cooling Savant

Quote:
will there be a risk for condensation on the res and tubing
I don't think so the heatsink will be highly inefficient, but as ]JR[ suggested a temperature prop and sensor you can keep the water temp always abve the dew point.

Quote:
Shaving 5C would probably require somewhere between 200-400w of pelt depending on various factors. You'll need two 400w supplies.

Or you could put the pelts directly on the CPU and lower the CPU temps but several times as much
Personally I don;t want to put a Peltier anywhere near my mobo/CPU.

I wounldn't have thought that you would need a separte 400W for an 80W Peltier, especailly as the Pelter is just helping the transfer of the heat from the water to the heatsink/fans. It would work without the Peltier just not very well at all. the Peltier will just be thee to ensure a continuous flow of heat out of the water to the outsiide.

I think it would cool the water but not by much at all, but if it mean you can switch you fans down to 7V rather than 12V then alls the better.

~ Boli
(Allways just that little bit more)