Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 03-07-2002, 12:39 PM   #1
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Default Which Sony PDA would you guys get?

Hey dudes...

So I'm getting a PDA for my birthday in late May. I'm pretty sure i want a Sony one as those are just sooooo sexy and the compaqs are too expensive. Plus I think I prefer the Palm OS. But I'm open to suggestions if you guys have 'em! Okay so here are the two models i'm considering on the sony front...
The PEG-N760C and the PEG-T615C.
Both have excellent color screens and slim form factors. The main differences are...

The PEG-N760C can play MP3s out of the box w/out an attachment. The PEG-T615C can play MP3s only w/ an add-on. The both have the same screens I think, but the N760C has front lights while the T615C has backlights. They both accept memory stick media, but the 760C has 8mb internal memory while the T615C has 16mb internal memory. The form factor is smaller on the T615C also. Eh just go to this page for the full comparison...
http://www.sonystyle.com/micros/clie...son/index.html

They both cost $399.99. I just can't decide. While an MP3 player would be great, am I going to want the extra 8mb of internal memory, smaller form factor, and backlit screen that the other one offers? Anyhow dudes... lemme know what y'all think. And like I said, if you have a suggestion for a different palm/pocketPC system, let me know. But i'm more interested in thes two sonys.

-Kev
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:41 PM   #2
Kevin

Another thing... also was checking out the palm M515. Doesn't look as cool cuz from what I can tell, the screen isn't high res, it is wider, and there is no speaker. But i'm willing to check that one out too. It is the same price. Lemme know.
-Kev
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:41 PM   #3
mkosem
Cooling Savant

don't get the 760. it is a waste. I had one. besides, the t-615 is color with the same CPU and is extremely thin! I am looking at the t415 because color is not a priority but of you want it, my unkle just got the 615 and it rocks! And if you find out later you do still want the mp3 playing capabilities it is still cheaper to get the attachment than you would spend on the 760.

--Matt

http://www.mattkosem.com
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
Kevin

Mkosem, check that web site. They're the EXACT same price, dude. For the same price, would you still reccommend the thinner one w/out the MP3 player? I'm really interested in learning about their screens and the whole backlight vs. frontlight issue as well. Also, what about the internal memory? Does that matter much?
-Kev
Unread 03-07-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

I have a iPaq 3765. I <3 it!!! This guy is definatly a winner

If you want any info on it, gimmie a holar.
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:04 AM   #6
Brad
Thermophile

Kev, how big is the mp3 addon for the others? And I'm sure the memory on all of them will support 128mb smart media or whatever their size is up to now

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:34 AM   #7
mkosem
Cooling Savant

don't buy from sony's site, they are significantly cheaper elsewhere. go to yahoo shopping and check prices.

--Matt

Unread 03-10-2002, 01:11 AM   #8
Kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by WebMasta33
I have a iPaq 3765. I <3 it!!! This guy is definatly a winner
If you want any info on it, gimmie a holar.
Yah those are pretty sweet, but the PocketPC based color machines are out of my price range. I kinda want a slim one too... and hey... Palm OS 4.1 is pretty nice as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Kev, how big is the mp3 addon for the others? And I'm sure the memory on all of them will support 128mb smart media or whatever their size is up to now
The memory addin is kinda big. It plugs into the bottom port where a keyboard would plug in. They will support up to 128mb memory stick memory that Sony's PDA's use. If I got the T615C, I wouldn't get the MP3 add-on cuz it is expensive, bulky, and yeah...
Quote:
Originally posted by mkosem
don't buy from sony's site, they are significantly cheaper elsewhere. go to yahoo shopping and check prices.
Definitely.

Does anyone know where they sell both of these models? I wanna go see the difference in screens, whether or not I can notice the difference in size, etc...

-Kev
Unread 03-13-2002, 01:25 PM   #9
mkosem
Cooling Savant

actually, sony just announced some new clie's, you may wanna wait and check them out. They have higher res displays than the existing hires pda's

--MAtt

Unread 03-13-2002, 02:29 PM   #10
Kevin

Yup yup yup! This I know. I'm going to get one as soon as they're released in the U.S. The scresns are so nice and big! And an integrated keyboard and MP3 player! Oh my! The beauty!
-Kev
Unread 03-23-2002, 09:42 PM   #11
superart
Cooling Savant

Kevin, have you considdered the new Sharp Zaurus SL-5500? It has a cool 3.5" 240x320 16bit screen. has a 206MHz intel chip, 64MB internal RAM, and accepts CF,SD, and MMC cards. A cool feature, it has a switchblade-style hide-away keyboard. so you can pull it out when you need to type something, then when your done, just slide it back in. its pretty small too, with the keyboard hidden, its only 5.4"x2.9"x0.7". and yes, it has an mp3/video player built in. Also something verry cool, it runs linux .

I would get this PDA for myself, but since i have no life, i have no use for a PDA.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2002, 04:29 AM   #12
Kevin

superart, I have heard many times of the mysterious linux based PDA... I searched for Zaurus like you indicated and I found my first PDA! The SL-5500... It apparently ships pretty soon. It is absolutely perfect for me. I love how it has 802.11b, ethernet, wireless, and 56k periferals. Since I don't own a laptop, this will be perfect for checking my e-mail on the road. Its processor is quite speedy as well! Video and Audio! Woohoo! Granted, this is not as sleek as the Sony NR series, but I am more intrigued by this unit's expandability, robust OS, and onboard features... not to mention originality!
-Kev
Unread 03-28-2002, 06:24 AM   #13
superart
Cooling Savant

im glad your glad. When you getit, post how you like it. I am particularely interested in how it hot syncs with the computer.

Unread 03-28-2002, 11:29 AM   #14
Kevin

I'm interested in that too. It seems weird that a Linux system will hotsync w/ Windows XP.
-Kev
Unread 03-28-2002, 11:56 AM   #15
superart
Cooling Savant

the sharp site says that java is deeply intigrated into the PDA. I assume they use java for most of the applications since its so prtable and can work on any platform. Java can interface with win and linux easily.

Unread 04-01-2002, 08:06 AM   #16
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

get a ipaq.. or you could get a free jornada for entering comp sci majors at UCSD. Oh wait you missed that muahahaha!!!
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:50 AM   #17
Kevin

itsso - I actually didn't miss it like I thought... all the comp sci bitches around here have one. pisses me off.. No love for the electrical engineers... All the PDAs they got have 802.11b and work all over campus at certain spots.
-Kev
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #18
superart
Cooling Savant

well that sharp has 802.11B and it runs linux. that should make those compsci folks mighty jelouse.

Unread 04-01-2002, 05:49 PM   #19
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

Oh i thought you were a comp sci major..
Unread 04-01-2002, 08:33 PM   #20
superart
Cooling Savant

nope, high school senior. Im still thinking about what i wanna do after high school. Maybe compsci, but im leaning more twords computer animation.

Unread 04-06-2002, 08:06 PM   #21
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

not everything revolves around you superart.. notice that I was talking to kevin as he corrected me on his major
Unread 04-06-2002, 08:51 PM   #22
superart
Cooling Savant

oopse. sorry, my bad