Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-28-2001, 03:28 AM   #1
the creature
Cooling Savant

Default Q about air-trap

I was planing too add a "T" and take a cable to the higest point in the case, but should I add that "T" at the higest point off the watter-cooling too? Or can I add the "T" anywhere (rad,watterblock osv.)?

At the end of the cable from the "T" can I close it, so it don't leak? or doen't it work if I close it?
the creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2001, 07:13 AM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

1 - put that T at the highest point
2 - put a cap on, or the small - but high enough - pressure induced by the pump will make it leak

Moreover look at other threads in this forum. With 2 T's you can bleed more efficiently (and easily) your system. Instead of the T you can use a small reservoir - like Turbokeu's.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2001, 02:15 PM   #3
the creature
Cooling Savant

OK, that was good you told me or I surrly would become broke when I turned the colling system on.

I don't understand how the system white 2 T's would make it easyer to fill/emty the watter.

Does the enhime pumpe get destroyd if you turn it without watter in it?
Unread 09-28-2001, 04:33 PM   #4
redleader
Thermophile

It was just brought up yesterday in another thread. Basically you put 2 Ts near each other and then a valve in between them. To fill you close the valve and open both Ts. Then you use a funnel or something and fill from one T. Air is forced out the other because the closed valve prevents it from "shorting" between the 2 Ts.

Like I said, I just hear of it yesterday, but it seems like a MUCG better way. Filling through a single T is a pain in but because lots of air is never forced out. This prevents that. Next time I drain my system I'll be trying it.

Starting an Egeim without water (unprimed) makes a horrible noise, but it doesn't damage the pump. At least not right away. I wouldn't try it.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2001, 07:50 PM   #5
gmat
Thermophile

As i said, look at other threads in this forum, there's lot of information (about 2 T's).
About starting an empty water pump (Eheim or Danner or any mag-drive) it's a bad idea. The rattle sound will give you an idea of the suffering endured by the poor pump... Really it will overcharge mechanical parts of your pump (impeller, engine) - no good.
Unread 09-29-2001, 03:33 AM   #6
the creature
Cooling Savant

Yes, I read that tread, but I can't find it again.

I see now how it it easyer to fill it, but how do you do to empty the watter from the cables (Is it hose it's named)?

Where should you place the T's? At the higest or lowest part of the system - or dosen't that matter?

Sorry about my BAD anglish, I don't know why, but it feels like i'm writing worser for every day
Unread 09-29-2001, 03:36 AM   #7
the creature
Cooling Savant

And by the way, "valve" - aren't that a on/off svitche?
Unread 09-29-2001, 01:59 PM   #8
gmat
Thermophile

Yep a valve=tap. Cuts water off.
You say "hose" not wire, wire is electrical. Hose carry water...
Yes you should put those 2 T's at the highest point.
Unread 09-29-2001, 08:45 PM   #9
Lord Twilight
Cooling Neophyte

But if you put the valves at the bottom, wouldn't it be a lot easier to drain the system, then use the pump to suck water back into the system to refill it? Hmm.. Wouldn't that work with an airtrap/res?

Maybe not, (I'm kinda new to Watercooling, and only planning out my new system) but I was planning on putting the two valves and tap at the bottom of the system, with an airtrap at the top. The to drain, couldn't you just open the airtrap, and open the valves (into a bucket or something) to drain out the water, then to refill, couldn't you partly fill the system through the airtrap, then once the pump is primed, close the tap, and turn on the pump to suck the new water into the system?

I would make a picture, but don't have anywhere to post one...
Unread 09-30-2001, 03:14 AM   #10
Turbokeu
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Twilight:
But if you put the valves at the bottom, wouldn't it be a lot easier to drain the system, then use the pump to suck water back into the system to refill it? Hmm.. Wouldn't that work with an airtrap/res?

Maybe not, (I'm kinda new to Watercooling, and only planning out my new system) but I was planning on putting the two valves and tap at the bottom of the system, with an airtrap at the top. The to drain, couldn't you just open the airtrap, and open the valves (into a bucket or something) to drain out the water, then to refill, couldn't you partly fill the system through the airtrap, then once the pump is primed, close the tap, and turn on the pump to suck the new water into the system?

I would make a picture, but don't have anywhere to post one...
This is basically how my system works.
See my threads http://forums.procooling.com/ubbcgi/...c&f=2&t=000555
and http://forums.procooling.com/ubbcgi/...c&f=2&t=000610

CD
Turbokeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2001, 03:34 AM   #11
the creature
Cooling Savant

How does you drain the system (when you have the T's at the top)

Blow air in the in T, untill you get all the watter out?
Unread 10-01-2001, 10:52 AM   #12
gmat
Thermophile

Either your setupis like Turbokeu's and there's no confusion.
Or you have 2 T's at the top, connected to two hoses (after 2 taps).
Hose 1 - Intake: this hose must finish *over* your system (over everything, including rads, T's and other tubing)
Hose 2 - Output: this hose must finish *under* your system.
This creates a 'syphon' (i dont know the exact english word). Water will always get drained towards the output hose as long as it *ends up* under your system... Try it - it's magic.
Unread 10-02-2001, 01:57 AM   #13
the creature
Cooling Savant

I place the two T at the top, so they function like an air-trap. Then I take the IN T and add a hose and fasten that higher then the rest of the system.
The other T (OUT), (wiche is place right after/before the other T (IN)), I add a hose to that too, but that hose I place belowe the rest of the system. and when I open that one (OUT), then the water would drain trough that T (OUT), and I dosen't turn the pump on or anything? (I assume that the IN and the valve in the middle (betwen the two other T)are closed).

That did get long, but I want to be, 110% sure that I don't do anything wrong.
Unread 10-02-2001, 04:02 AM   #14
gmat
Thermophile

Open the OUT and open the IN, the middle valve is closed. This way you purge the system.

Anyways feel free to experiment with no electronics installed, just with water system. All you risk is to get wet

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: SureFoot ]