Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 04-18-2001, 08:09 PM   #1
DivideByZero
Cooling Neophyte

Default KK266 VMOD

Anyone know if this has been tried yet? I have a KK266 and an AXIA 1.2/266, and I want to mod the board for some more juice, but I can't find any information on this. My Tbird currently will do windows rock solid(prime95, seti, 3DMark2k1 no problems) running 1500/142 with a FOP38 (way too darn loud), and I have gotten it to post @1610/134. I can also do windows at 1360/160. System will not post beyond 164FSB. (all specs listed are 1.85Vcore, CAS3/4-way, slowest ram timings 'cause my 512MB Micron is only rated CAS3, and doesn't like faster timings at all). I am assembling a watercooling system for it with a Swiftech block and 156W pelt, Mag 250, and a heater core radiator that I yanked from my 86 Grand Prix (can't beat free!!). I also have plans to add the northbridge and video card in later.
I actually almost fried this 'bird yesterday. I went to add another HD to the system to transfer some data and accidentally unplugged the Delta. I got all the way into windows, opened explorer, and MBM popped up with a overtemp warning. At first I thought maybe I had broken the thermister in the socket, but a quick touch of the heatsink almost made me shit my pants! Would you believe that that little sucker got all the way to 217 degrees F as I yanked the power cord? And amazingly, it still works today!!
Anyhow, I would really like to up the juice when I get the watercooling system up and running, so if you got any info, send it my way! Thanks.
Unread 07-02-2001, 07:26 AM   #2
lancelh
Cooling Neophyte

I have a friend that has done it. www.overclockers.com has the how too. Go to their site, then go to the Reviews link, then on the far right list the MOTHERBOARD REWIEWS, then finally Iwill KK266 voltage mod. The mod itself is fairly easy to go but you'll need to go to raido shack to get a few parts.
Unread 07-02-2001, 07:32 AM   #3
lancelh
Cooling Neophyte

By the way you might want to hold off on the Pelt, I had a TEC 156 watts pelt on my AMD 1.33 @ 1.6 and it actually runs cooler with only the water block (Danger Den Maze II) Just post on the forums if you should use a pelt I know my experience wasn't an isolated incident.

Water Block & Pelt 125 deg. under load
Water Block only 113 deg. under load
Water Block & Frig 93 deg. under load

Load was Quake III
Unread 07-03-2001, 08:29 PM   #4
DivideByZero
Cooling Neophyte

Wow... It's been so long that I even thought about this post that I forgot all about it! Having since experimented with the system I have come to the conclusion that a 156W TEC just doesn't cut it above 1.4 GHz. It's great for posting runs (absolute max post with the 1.2 is 1732@165) but other than that, I can't get it stable above 1.6GHz. The chip runs at ~90F full load at 1.6GHz, with ambient at 72F. I got a replacement base for the block to use without the TEC a couple weeks ago. I will be changing it to water only after I put my LAN box together. That will be running on a Thermalright SK6 / Delta 38 pending the outcome of Joe's roundup, if I can wait long enough for Joe to get it finished! (Sorry, Joe, couldn't resist...) I will be changing the processors around also, as I ordered a 1.4GHz for the main box, and the 1.2GHz will be moving to the LAN box. I am also working on a RAID array, ordered the controller (3ware Escalade 7810; 8 drives in hardware RAID 0, 1, 5, or 10 baby! )yesterday, am still deciding on what drives / number to use . It will be faster than greased lightning!