Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-11-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
caxis0
Cooling Neophyte

Default 2x80mm Shroud

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the best way to construct a shroud to for a dual 80mm radiator (or, if anyone knows where they sell them, that would be okay as well). Any help would be appreciated.

I'd really like something like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...ex-rad-27.html -- I just want it to work with the dual 80mm radiator.

(Please don't respond with how dual120 radiators or heatercores would work better, this is the 2nd radiator in a cooling loop and I am limited to this size specifically).

Thanks!
Bruce
caxis0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 03:58 AM   #2
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...ite_air_du.php

Good luck!
Unread 06-11-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
caxis0
Cooling Neophyte

Wow... good luck is right... *deep breath* Okay... I can do this. Panty Hose and resin, that was definitely unexpected!

Any other idea before I set off trying to do this?
Unread 06-11-2004, 05:01 AM   #4
Groth
Cooling Savant

I've done papier-mache shrouds.
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I favor fiberglass also:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg shroudB.jpeg (19.5 KB, 17 views)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

Here the way I did it. The parts are available at Home Depot or Lowes.

List of Stuff:
1. Roll Of Aluminum tape
2. Somekind of gromets or footstool rubber bottom leg thingies. Anything that can be glued to the bottom of your fans that will hold the fans aout 1 inch off the radiator.
3. twist or zip ties.

Instructions:
(1)Glue the gromets to the bottom of th fan that does not turn. This will be your structural integrety. (2)Use swist ties to hold the 2 fans together. The 2 fans will now function as one. Add 2 more 80mm fans, a total of four, and you will have the equivalent of a 160mm fan (3) Place the fan unit onto the radiator. (4) Place the tape around the radiator and fan to form the shroud.

Aluminum tape is really think aluminum foil with an adhesive suface on one side. It is true duck tape.

WATER COOLING:
DangerDen Maze 4 CPU waterblock | Hydor L20 waterpump |Homemade reservior | Heater core|

biketour.blogspot.com
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
killernoodle
Thermophile

Aluminum C-Channels and plexiglass anyone?

Basically, cut out the plexi to install both fans, drill all the holes, ect. Then measure how big the radiator is. Then, measure out the C-Channels and cut them to form the outside ring. Then cut the plexi to fit the inside of the C-channels and glue it in there and glue all the C-channels together. You can thread bolts through the radiator fins to secure it.
Unread 06-11-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
msull
Cooling Neophyte

I got some aluminum sheet and made my own, its not that hard if you have a few tools, a hole saw and jig saw most importantly. I'd load you some pics if I could find em .
msull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 12:52 AM   #9
superart
Cooling Savant

If your gunna do the #rotor shroud, cover it with a couple coats of epoxy. If you do only 1 coat it will e flexable.

I used that tek. to make a body for an small airplane, and it works pretty well.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 09:01 PM   #10
caxis0
Cooling Neophyte

This just occurred to me: I was sitting here thinking 'What is as wide as a fan, and has the same dimensions as a fan, and what would also be easy to mount'

Another Fan! (duh!)

Of all of the ideas I've received, I was leaning toward balsa wood--but then it occured to me. Use another fan! If I just dremel out the mechanical parts of a couple of loud old 80mm fans, then presto, perfect shrouds with predrilled mounting holes.

Simple

Bruce
Unread 06-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Another fan doesn't work too well. I don't have specifics, but they just don't work. Bolts and duct tape is an idea I've seen, and it sounds good.

You should use a heater core. It will perform better and cost less.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #12
caxis0
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
Another fan doesn't work too well. I don't have specifics, but they just don't work. Bolts and duct tape is an idea I've seen, and it sounds good.
I fail to see how it wouldn't work. I do intend to add some rubber foamy stuff around the edges to make it air tight against the radiator. Could you explain to me how any airtight shroud the width of the fan it supports could not "work too well?"

Bolts and ducttape... That's a little ghetto with regard to what I'm going for. Thanks though.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caxis0
(Please don't respond with how dual120 radiators or heatercores would work better, this is the 2nd radiator in a cooling loop and I am limited to this size specifically).
You should use a heater core. It will perform better and cost less.
. . . . . .

. . . thank you . . . I'll consider it.

Perhaps you could recommend a heatercore whose dimensions are VERY close to 3.25" x 7.5"
Unread 06-14-2004, 12:13 PM   #13
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Bolts and ducttape... That's a little ghetto with regard to what I'm going for. Thanks though.

It's not ghetto. Just be mindful of how you use the Duck tape. You can be nice and neat with it. You can then get some white primer and UV spray paint from Wal-Mart. Yes, UV paint from Wal-Mart. It's called Flourescent Paint by Krylon. It glow unbder UV light. It says so on the can. I in common colors.

That's what I done with mine and it looks good. I'm try and get some pics. Do the pics have to be on the web or can you copy paste?

WATER COOLING:
DangerDen Maze 4 CPU waterblock | Hydor L20 waterpump |Homemade reservior | Heater core|

biketour.blogspot.com
Unread 06-15-2004, 12:06 AM   #14
caxis0
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbun
It's not ghetto. Just be mindful of how you use the Duck tape. You can be nice and neat with it. You can then get some white primer and UV spray paint from Wal-Mart. Yes, UV paint from Wal-Mart. It's called Flourescent Paint by Krylon. It glow unbder UV light. It says so on the can. I in common colors.
That's interesting . . . However, I am looking for something solid. I think making one out of balsa wood would be really cool. I'm not really into the UV thing--I'm going for a really mature look. I went to a lot of raves when I was younger and I think I could die without seeing another UV reactive anything and be just fine. I was thinking of going with white light with blue dye lite in the water. I'm trying for brushed aluminum and cool colors.

Quote:
That's what I done with mine and it looks good. I'm try and get some pics. Do the pics have to be on the web or can you copy paste?
I think they have to be on the web.
Unread 06-15-2004, 07:37 AM   #15
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

[quote=caxis0]I was thinking of going with white light with blue dye lite in the water. I'm trying for brushed aluminum and cool colors.[quote]

Once again go to Wal-Mart or Lowes or Home Depot. They've got everything from textured straypaints which looks like stone or rock to rust looking spraypaints, anything you can imagine. They've even got magnetic paint, stone textured meltalics, Matte (brushed finished paints).

Just check out Krylon's website.

WATER COOLING:

biketour.blogspot.com

Last edited by funbun; 06-15-2004 at 07:42 AM.