Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 07-31-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
killernoodle
Thermophile

My uncle is now the Senior VP of Dell :D

Whole Article
Quote:
Dell Names Lawrence Tu Senior Vice President, General Counsel
Round Rock, Texas, July 30, 2004

Dell has named Lawrence Tu senior vice president and general counsel, succeeding Thomas Green. Mr. Green, Dell's general counsel since 1994, will be available to the company in an advisory role through and after the transition.

Mr. Tu joins Dell from NBC Universal, where as executive vice president and general counsel he oversaw the legal department for all business units as well as its office in Washington D.C. He begins with Dell today.

"Larry brings exceptional international, corporate and intellectual-property knowledge, and has considerable experience in managing in a fast-paced environment," Dell Chairman Michael Dell said. "Those are critical skills at a company like Dell."

Prior to NBC Universal, one of the world's fastest and most-profitable media and entertainment companies, Mr. Tu was executive vice president and general counsel at NBC for three years. Earlier, he was a partner at O'Melveny & Myers LLP, where he focused on high technology, Internet and media related transactions, including five years as managing partner of the firm's Hong Kong office, and from 1994 to 1995 served as general counsel of the Asia-Pacific region for Goldman-Sachs. Mr. Tu also served as an attorney for the U.S. State Department, and was a clerk for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall.

Mr. Tu holds J.D. and A.B. degrees from Harvard University, as well as a bachelor of arts degree from Oxford University, where he was a Rhodes Scholar.

According to Mr. Dell, Mr. Green has built a skilled, accomplished and recognized legal team during his 10 years with the company.

"Dell today is more than 10 times larger than when Tom first joined us," Mr. Dell said. "Under Tom's leadership, his team not only kept pace with our exceptional growth but established itself as a truly world class corporate legal organization."

Mr. Green disclosed in October 2003 his intention to step down as Dell's general counsel after leading the search for his successor.

About Dell

Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) is a premier provider of products and services required for customers worldwide to build their information-technology and Internet infrastructures. Company revenue for the past year totaled $43.5 billion. Dell, through its direct business model, designs, manufactures and customizes products and services to customer requirements, and offers an extensive selection of software and peripherals. Information on Dell and its products can be obtained www.dell.com.
Larry Tu is my mom's sister's husband and I just learned today that he was hired to be the head lawyer for Dell. He used to be a VP for NBC and GE, but this is the coolest job he has had yet.

Even better yet, I can probably get a job @ dell next year for my summer job, so that should be interesting. If anything, I can probably get a laptop for cheap or another 2001fp monitor for my setup. This should be pretty cool.

Me happy
Unread 07-31-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Anemone
Cooling Neophyte

Congrats
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

yeah congrats...

Now hook it up wittt sum Flat-panellsss....

jk
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Vector86
Cooling Savant

This is a shameless plug in someone elses post, but, I have some cheap flat panels for sale.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10157
Vector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Dell eh? Maybe talk him into water cooling some of those POS's and make them overclockable!
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Dude, I am trying to get a contact at Dell for LAN sponsorships, HELP ME!

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #7
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Any chance of getting him to add an option on the Dell "system configurator" : NO free AOL - NO "free offers" pre-installed.
I spend time getting these off newly-purchased systems all the time - would be cheaper for the companies I work for to just pay something extra to not get this stuff on there in the first place...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
killernoodle
Thermophile

Heheh, maybe I can get on the R&D team and introduce them to liquid cooling technology for microprocessors

Hell, if Sony, Alienware, and Apple can do it, the next logical step is dell.
Unread 08-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
drummingpariah
Cooling Neophyte

hey guys, computer techies make a lot of money off of getting rid of computer companies' extra crap. dell does it, compaq/hp does it, just about every major computer company does. except emachines, i think. they just toss a computer together, make sure it works, and ship it out. of all the modern computer companies (alienware included) i like emachines best. so keep the stupid extra "free offers" and "tour windows!" type things, and keep us in business. otherwise, all we have to keep us going is viruses and spyware. job security is what it's all about.
drummingpariah is offline   Reply With Quote