Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
snoopafella
Cooling Neophyte

Default fixing my R9800pro.. help??

I was removing the shims on my r9800pro when i sliced off the resistor (or capacitor) at bottom right corner of the VPU pcb.
(bottom right of the green plate surrounding the VPU)

Does anyone have the value of this resistor/cap so i can find a substitute??
The res/cap i cut off was too small to solder back on, but i`ll probably be able to connect a physically bigger replacement using some wires... I just need the res/cap value.

The card still works but I get some glitches and weird lines i some games, and the VPU is hotter than before (I think).

would be cool if i could fix it...

--RObin--
snoopafella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Pic please? It might help those who don't know exactly which component you are talking about.

edit: Besides, we all like to look at disaster scenes.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
snoopafella
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
Pic please? It might help those who don't know exactly which component you are talking about.

edit: Besides, we all like to look at disaster scenes.
Doesnt really look like anything has happened to it.. (no scratches etc.. just some adhesive left from the shims) The contact points are fine, looks like the component just "fell" off.

Don`t have av camera or a server to put a picture on.. would if i could

Try to explain: remove the heatsink an you`ll se a green square with the VPU-core in the middle.. Around the core there are some SMD resistors/capacitors (really tiny) these smds are placed in rows diagonally across the green surface.
The SMD at the bottom of the right hand side row of SMDs has been cut off.

Sorry, couldnt find links to any pics but the explaination shold be sufficient if you have the pic/card in front of you..
Unread 08-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
killernoodle
Thermophile

Did you find it? If you could measure the resistance, you could buy a small micro trimmer and dial it into the resistance.
Unread 08-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
snoopafella
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Did you find it? If you could measure the resistance, you could buy a small micro trimmer and dial it into the resistance.
I`m a soon to be eletronics engineer so i know what to do. The problem is: i dont ha ve the "thingy" anymore and i dont know if its a cap or ar reisistor.
I fugure i could try various res/caps but i thoght i could aks here i case someone knew.. I tried mixing "grafitt" (its called grafitt in norwegian.. the stuff thats in pencils) and thermal compound but it only made the glitches and stripes worse...(the "mix" functions as a low value resistor..)

Thats why i think its more likely that the SMD was a cap rather than a resistor

Think I`ll try with a cap after the summerholday if i dont get any serous sugestions for any values for the res/cap...
Who knows.. mybe I`ll find a new OC-mod for the r9800pro 450/900 (core/mem) would be a nice clockrate huh??
Unread 08-15-2004, 04:00 PM   #6
p4ocer
Cooling Neophyte

Try talking to the manufacturer...I know someone who just had to pay a small fee to get his fixed after a volt mod went bad

P4 2.6B at 3.3 on Air(Thermalright SP-94 with 92MM Vantec Tornado)
Abit IC7
OCZ Platinum Limited Edtion (2-2-2 Stock) PC3200 1 Gig
80GB Seagate SATA HDD
Powercolor 9800Pro Grakka (RMAing)
Enermax 460W
Aspire X-Alien
p4ocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
snoopafella
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ocer
Try talking to the manufacturer...I know someone who just had to pay a small fee to get his fixed after a volt mod went bad
I`ll try that... Dont think I`ll bother sending it in for repair, but i`ll find out the value..

Getting a 6800GT soon anyway, just figured i`d try fixing it and selling it cheap..
would save me a couple of buck$