Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-25-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Natedog
Cooling Neophyte

Default Nanocoolant...

Just posting this up to judge possible interest. A little background. I am a long time lerker and infrequent poster. Over the last 4 years I have built 3 watercooling systmes and a phase change system so watercooling is not new to me. I am a student at Georgia Tech and in one of my classes a professor I have mentioned a special coolant that he had developed for the automotive world which incorperated a specially doped nano-particle. It worked great but the only problem was the cost of a complete cooling system's worth was not cheap and in the OEM world where they measure the cost of a part out to the 7th decesimal place, water is alot cheaper. I talked to him about using it in a computer watercooling system and now I have some sitting next to me waiting to be tested. His guestimation is that it should reduce temps by at least 5C. With the jet impengement blocks it should be more because of the particles contact with the waterblock. I am currently waiting on some parts to come back to get my main computer back up but once that occurs I will post results. While he was developing the fluid he found that the heat transfer coefficient was increased 300% over water in turbulant flow and 30% in laminar flow. So this should be very benificial to any jet impengement block. Regardless of how good it works, how much are people willing to pay for a significant temp drop (2-10c)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1504 (Medium).jpg (15.9 KB, 52 views)
| DFI NF4 Ultra-D | 3800+ X2 | OCZ PC4000 (2x1gb) EB | Radeon X800GTO2 | PA160.1 Radiator| Aqua Via 1300 x2 pumps| Swiftech STORM waterblock| Antec P180 case| PC Power and Cooling 510watt psu| LynxTWO-B sound card|

Last edited by Natedog; 11-25-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Unoid
Cooling Neophyte

wow good luck, Looking forward to hearing some results. Sounds like this stuff would be great for a Large ass turbulant radiator with a Iwaki or mcp655
Unoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Marci
Cooling Savant

Would expect price to be around that of FluidXP at most for the same liq. quantity until proven... otherwise it'd have a hard time selling...

However, if it lives up to it's claim thru multiple-confirmed testing... could probs get away with another 50% on top of FluidXP. End of day if it lives up to it's claims it'll sell at any price... the lower it is, the more of it you're likely to be able to move.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
superart
Cooling Savant

Is that the same stuff as this?
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10871

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Natedog
Cooling Neophyte

it is the same in that way that a jeep is a ferarri because they both have four wheel. The patents on this coolant are based on keeping the particles suspended and dispersed. Oh and to catch a few questions. the pH is neutral. And abrasion of these nano particles are not an issue simply because of their small mass and therefore small momemtum.

This coolant is not a backyard derived nano-coolant either. There were over 20 engineers and chemists on this project for 3 years to make it what I have next to me. It will work. Its just a matter of how good it will work that is the question. I hope to have my computer back together in a week and after that we will probably be sending test samples out to a few key players out there.
| DFI NF4 Ultra-D | 3800+ X2 | OCZ PC4000 (2x1gb) EB | Radeon X800GTO2 | PA160.1 Radiator| Aqua Via 1300 x2 pumps| Swiftech STORM waterblock| Antec P180 case| PC Power and Cooling 510watt psu| LynxTWO-B sound card|
Unread 11-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Bloody_Sorcerer
Cooling Neophyte

some important questions:
is it toxic?
will it form any deposits of any kind if used for a long time?
will it react with anything in your standard loop (plastics, copper, aluminum, silver)?
freezing point/boiling point (more out of curiousity)?
is it highly volatile or same or less than water?
Bloody_Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

What is it's viscosity in relation to water?

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
Natedog
Cooling Neophyte

viscosity numbers I will have to acquire, but just from shaking the beaker I would say its really close to the same.
Unread 11-26-2005, 12:14 AM   #9
Natedog
Cooling Neophyte

toxic...well if you go out and chew on some metal is that toxic? I wouldnt want to drink it but I wouldnt eat Ti shavings either.

boiling temp? whats that for? freezing temps I can see useful for the chiller people. Ill try to find that out but I am guessing that its not going to be any better than water

Last edited by Natedog; 11-26-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Unread 11-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

"operating temperature range" would be more appropriately termed. Some are high (a pelted setup) some are low (phase change).

The claimed increase is puzzling; 10x more in turbulent flow than in laminar flow? Is an explanation available?

Is there a paper available on this development?

Interesting, if true. I agree with Marci; I'd pay the same as FluidXP.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
Natedog
Cooling Neophyte

the increase from the turbulent flow has to do with particle collisions. There will be more particles that will physically contact the heat source than in laminer flow. Obviously the laminer and turbulent is important not in the pipe flow but in the area's of heat trasfer(waterblock and heat exchanger). So with that in mind the storm/g4 blocks are near ideal for this coolant. We should be able to see far better results than in the previous automotive testing. What coolant temps do pelt systems see?

As far as papers, I am afraid not on this particular formulation as there are to many copy cats out there that just want to reverse engineer someone elses hard work. Sucks dont it.
Unread 11-28-2005, 04:44 AM   #12
Marci
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Nanocoolant...

Quote:
What coolant temps do pelt systems see?
Anywhere from 30-odd thru to 60-odd depending on the system and how it's set up.
My TEC Setup at it's hottest ran 65 deg coolant temps (when running almost passive)

Must also account for user-error tho... coolant may be exposed to 100+ deg temps should pump fail... therefore coolant needs assessing at such temps. ie: Does it turn into a rampaging blob that escapes your system and patrols the streets hunting for children and small animals to devour should it get above 90 deg C.... or summat like that.
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #13
Natedog
Cooling Neophyte

65! wow I never though you guys ran them that high. I havent checked yet but my guess is that its pretty close to water's boiling point if not higher considering it was partially developed for the automotive industry.
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
Marci
Cooling Savant

If automotive based then boiling point won't be an issue for PC Users. My bike dumps 1.2kW... we dump 100s.
Unread 01-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

Come on now, you can at least keep us updated.

I'm sure many here are interested.
RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci
My bike dumps 1.2kW...
Under 2HP?!?
Unread 01-19-2006, 04:57 AM   #17
Marci
Cooling Savant

S'just what it says on the frame label... but no, most definitely NOT 2HP... closer to 30BHP (s'only a 2stroke 125)
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #18
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Don't forget, just because it dumps 1.2kw doesn't mean that's all the engine makes. Some of that energy has to be mechanical, otherwise the bike wouldn't move....

I agree with those above; I'd pay about the same as fluidXP, though it has to be a proven product first.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
stev
Cooling Neophyte

I know of one company that manufactures nanocoolants.

http://www.dynalene.com
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

1/3 of energy of a Internal combustion engine is heat

rough figure but good enough for some numbers
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #21
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I thought it was more like 2/3?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #22
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

1/3 direct heat losses, the other 1/3 mechancial losses which end up as heat i believe. Got an IC engine test on tuesday so i would hope i know by then.
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #23
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
Come on now, you can at least keep us updated.

I'm sure many here are interested.
Small kick then?

I'm still anxious to hear about the progress that has been made, whether positive or negative.
RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:15 PM   #24
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo5195
1/3 direct heat losses, the other 1/3 mechancial losses which end up as heat i believe. Got an IC engine test on tuesday so i would hope i know by then.
Its about 2/3. The remaining 1/3 then has mechanical loses.

Of course, some heat is lost to the air and not the coolant, depending on the engine, so who knows how much heat is in some random bike's coolant.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 04:11 AM   #25
gmat
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
some important questions:
will it form any deposits of any kind if used for a long time?
will it react with anything in your standard loop (plastics, copper, aluminum, silver)?
is it highly volatile or same or less than water?
^^
i'm also curious to see the answers to these questions.
Are the Ti particle already oxydised ? What is the pH of the fluid ?
The deposit question is very important esp. with centrifugal pumps (bearing failures...)
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote