Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
L3viTy
Cooling Neophyte

Default routing/sequence sugestions needed.

Got all my stuff from Danger Den yesterday. Heres the list.
2 DD TDX blocks
1 Maze4 Chipset block
1 NV68 gpu=ram block
DD-D5 pump
10' 1/2 tubbing
2 pabst 120mm fans
fill port and a small res; will make my own later.

I will be using an ASUS mobo w/2 xeon 3.06 cpu
BFG Gforce 6800 UT/GT/OC hardmodded to a quadro 4000
rad is a jeep heatercore, 11.5x6.5x2 tripple pass
Thermaltake 550w APFC PSU
A bunch of paint and duct tape.

I have made a shroud out of copper plate to confine the fass discharge to the active area of the rad and cut two blow holes in the top of the case where the fans will be mounted sucking air down through the rad into the case/one 120 fan in the bottom as an exhaust.

Pump has to be mounted in the bottom unless problems demand placing it somewhere else. fill port is mounted on top in front about 1/2 in from the side. I plan on running a tube from the fill port to the res then to the pump.

My question is: Sense I have only one rad and two cpu's and a gpu to cool, what is the most efficient way to run the cooling circute? I can get a second rad If I need to but this monstar heater core should do the job if I can get everything else efficiently.
Any sugestions are welcome.
Thanks

Case is a supermicro CSE-762
Height: 26.4" (671mm)
Width: 8.3" (211mm)
Depth: 17.3" (443mm)

Last edited by L3viTy; 03-03-2006 at 04:05 PM.
L3viTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

Default Re: routing/sequence sugestions needed.

Stick with the single heatercore. See what temps you get and see if that satisfies your goals. I don't know about blow air down from outside of the case. Good airflow from 120mm fan placement might be enough

I'm not a fan of the large NV-6800 blocks. I think the smallet acetal maze4, mp-1, and mcw-60 are better choices. Probably less restrictive and better performing. $20 ramsinks from Swiftech can keep DDR3 ram on Vidcard cool.

Changing the order of the loop doesn't change temps drastically. The logical path would be Rad>RES>2 TDXs>GPU>NB>pump>RAD
or
RAD> split into 2 tdx> combine to GPU> NB>RES >PUMP>RAD.

Consensus is have RES before the Pump. Try not to have RES after a pump. The large the pressure difference between restrictive cpu waterblock and pump with the RES inbetween the two causes leaks. You might not have that problem if you have RES into two TDXs which are not really restrictve depending on the accel plate you use.
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
L3viTy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: routing/sequence sugestions needed.

I thought Rad>RES>2 TDXs>GPU>NB>pump>RAD sounded like the best choice. Good to hear it from someone else. Ive never been a fan (pun intended) of watercooling based on cost. Prices have finally come into line and these xeon fans are friggin louder than anything Ive ever had in the past. The NV68 block is overkill most likely but their just so dang sexy. I also had concerns about cooling the video ram in a closed case with little air flow directly across the sinks. Come to think of it, frying the video card would give me a good reason to upgrade to an sli board.......
L3viTy is offline   Reply With Quote