Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-08-2002, 03:32 PM   #1
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Default Flowmeter from McMasters

Hi
Does any one have any experience with , acrylic block flowmeter from McMasters, I'm interested in 1/2" model 0.5-5gph catalog number 8051K12, how much do you think it restrict flow if I would put it in my system?
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 04:07 PM   #2
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

I have no experience personally, I know pHaestus is getting one for waterblock review purposes. Here is a system that uses one: http://www.greenberg.com/watercool.htm
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 04:37 PM   #3
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Nice setup he got there. That flowmeter doesn't look like it restrict flow a lot, just float in the tube, and the g force do the rest, hmm that shouldn't be hard to build, a little testing and measuring the flow to make direct reading scale. Yes this is definetly project that I'm gonna do.
Unread 02-09-2002, 05:00 AM   #4
Brad
Thermophile

I presume this is for testing blocks with differant sized channels, and differant channel setups?

I'd quite like to see flow rate differances between the maze2 and your block myself, I reckon that'd be quite interesting, as well as the temperature differance.

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 05:07 AM   #5
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Yes, I need it for testing blocks,as for comparison with maze2, that will be on Joe because I don't hava maze2, and I'm going to send AL version to him for water block roundup 2.
Unread 02-09-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I have that exact flowmeter, and I haven't gotten a chance to plumb it into my test system yet. I was going to add a ball valve also so that I could test blocks wide open (~ 2GPM), at 1.2 GPM and at 0.6 GPM. That way people with 3/8" tubing and/or smaller pumps can have a good idea of how the block will work in their systems. It also eliminates flow rates as a reason one block performs better than another one I suppose.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Running the test at low flow rates (0.5gpm range or below) also gives a very nice view into how well the blocks transfer the thermal energy from the CPU to the water if you monitor the inlet and outlet temps of the water. At the lower flow rates you get a measurable difference in the inlet vs outlet water temps. The greater the difference , the better a block is transfering the thermal energy to the water (given that all the blocks in the test are operated at significantly less than maximum flow rate and at the same flow rate). At higher flow rates the delta temperature is so close between blocks that it you don't get usable data (a good example is Morphling's recent tests).
EMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Yep, 100% correct, that's way I'm gonna build flowmeter to see how the blocks are transfering heat at low flow, that will give me data to see if I should change or modify current desing.
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:35 PM   #9
EMC2
Cooling Savant

FYI Morphling, I forgot one of my favorite places for measurement gadgets... here's one that might fit what you are looking for and isn't too expensive:

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?r...000&Nav=gref02

Omega has locations in Europe as well, with online purchasing
EMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:42 PM   #10
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Eh. Screw the testing. Just do it cuz it looks so hot
-Kev
Unread 02-12-2002, 07:56 PM   #11
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

yes it does look nice. I was surprised at the inaccuracy of my "Fill a quart container while counting the seconds" method. The flowmeter works much better
Unread 02-12-2002, 08:17 PM   #12
Errorz
Cooling Neophyte

www.Dwyer.com has the best flowmeter i have EVER seen. At my job, we get a lot of differential meters (magnahelics) and inches of water meters from them. They are very sturdy pieces of equiptment. $30-80 depending on what you wish. Me being stingy, am trying to get one for free for my senior project of high school. Aparantly not goin too well.... I may try to get my work to get it for me... who knows. Hope that helps.
Unread 02-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #13
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Yea this one is nice:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/VFF.html

Control flow and measure rates.
Unread 02-13-2002, 12:33 AM   #14
futRtrubL
Cooling Savant

EMC2 I love the look of that flow meter. I now want one. I know this is a typo but still "1/2 % repeatability" ;']

Edward
futRtrubL is offline   Reply With Quote