Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snapserver 1000 question. I think

I have before me a Snapserver. No markings as to model, in fact it looks just like the one here:
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php/Snap_Server_1000

I assume that is a SnapServer 1000. Right?

It seems to have a 13 GB drive in it. It says it is
Software 2.2.393
Hardware 3.1.1
Bios 2.1.363

If this is actually a 1000 assume this is the one that automatically preps a new hdd, right?

I found this
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php...Drive_Upgrades
Which talks about various models. It seems one person posted they got a 320 GB running, but they didn't talk about what they had to do.

If so it is possible to get this past 137 gb by upgrading the software on it somehow. Can I go 500 GB without trouble? How about one TB?

Is there a writup about that? I read the wiki and I didn't find a procedure. Can someone point me to the procedure? Maybe I have to use the assist program?

I have a snap_sys.sup file in a folder SnapOS_34807
Is that the correct file?

Thanks in advance!
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snapserver 1000 question. I think

I found this
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php..._BIOS_Versions
which does discuss some upgrades.

But not really the OS upgrade.

So does anyone know if the snap_sys.sup file I have with length 30,093 is the correct OS upgrade for this likely Snap 1000 unit?
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

I used that file through Assist and it is upgrading.
I guess I will see soon.

I still would appreciate if anyone knows if this will accept a 500 gb drive now, assuming the os upgrade is successful and I don't end up with a brick.
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

The upgrade finished successfully

Model Software Hardware Server # BIOS
1000 series 3.4.807 (US) 3.1.1 106263 2.1.363

That answers my original question, this is a 1000 series.

Now with software 3.4.807 I can upgrade the drive.
Does that software reside in flash? Or on the old drive?

Oh, a look at the log shows it did save that all in flash. So I guess I am ready to upgrade.

Last edited by Steevo; 06-20-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
bitor
Cooling Savant

Hello, I've seen these units with a 750GB HD in them. However, this will have a greater pull on the PSU over time and could cause problems with this HD. Not to mention that this unit doesn't have a lot of RAM installed. To be safe, I would not go above 250GB, but it's your unit and if you want to install a 500GB...then go for it. It will work, but you might OR might not have problems with it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
I used that file through Assist and it is upgrading.
I guess I will see soon.

I still would appreciate if anyone knows if this will accept a 500 gb drive now, assuming the os upgrade is successful and I don't end up with a brick.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
bitor
Cooling Savant

If there are no marking on the unit and have the traditional shape..then it is a Snap1000. And the very small 13GB HHD size might indicate it is a Snap1000 version 1. Only way to test this is slap a HHD in the unit and see if it formats it and if it does then it is. Another way to find out if it is a version 1 is to take out the drive and see if you have access to the WebGUI. If you do then it is a version 1 model. In that case, the upgrade should be as ease as just replacing the hard drive. If it isn't, then you will have to follow the directions here and image the SnapOS on to the hard drive.

SnapOSv3.4.805 and above will handle anything over the 137GB.
The SnapOS construction is limited to a total of 1.2TB , but they don't make PATA/IDE/EIDE that size. The largest drive is 750GB. You can use an adapter for a SATA drive. Just make sure you get the correct adapter.

SnapOS_34807 is the correct file ... you will need to use Asisst to update/upgrade the SnapOS.

Quote:
I have before me a Snapserver. No markings as to model, in fact it looks just like the one here:
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php/Snap_Server_1000

I assume that is a SnapServer 1000. Right?

It seems to have a 13 GB drive in it. It says it is
Software 2.2.393
Hardware 3.1.1
Bios 2.1.363

If this is actually a 1000 assume this is the one that automatically preps a new hdd, right?

I found this
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php...Drive_Upgrades
Which talks about various models. It seems one person posted they got a 320 GB running, but they didn't talk about what they had to do.

If so it is possible to get this past 137 gb by upgrading the software on it somehow. Can I go 500 GB without trouble? How about one TB?

Is there a writup about that? I read the wiki and I didn't find a procedure. Can someone point me to the procedure? Maybe I have to use the assist program?

I have a snap_sys.sup file in a folder SnapOS_34807
Is that the correct file?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bitor; 06-21-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
bitor
Cooling Savant

If it's not a Snap1000 version 1 then you will need to follow the instructions here. Even if it is a version 1 you can still follow these instructions too.
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php...e_Instructions

The file is so large because it has all the other SnapOS models includes in this one file. Once you use the Assist it will read which model you have and extract the correct hex file and load/upgrade it to you unit. The file size for most models is only around 4MB.

Quote:
I found this
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php..._BIOS_Versions
which does discuss some upgrades.

But not really the OS upgrade.

So does anyone know if the snap_sys.sup file I have with length 30,093 is the correct OS upgrade for this likely Snap 1000 unit?
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

It is indeed a snap 1000 and I upgraded the OS to the version that supports >137 GB drives.

Next is to stick one in and see.

Thanks for your help.