Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 03-12-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

Default ouchies.... almost burnt up my tbird!!!!!!

just as i started walkin out of my room to get some lunch my pc starts beepin at me.... i'm like great its probably a suck key in the keyboard (its cheap and getting old) so i go to unplug the keyboard just to stop it beeping for now blah blah blah.....

but whats this? why is the top of the case very warm to the touch?? why? take a look at the screen and open up the via hardware monitor and instantly i'm almost literally ripping out the thumb screws to get the side of the case off.....

the cpu was at 65C and climbing and the case temp was at 31C (ambient of 25C) well checked the block... yeah thats still on secure, the pump! no no thats still pumpin good.... yeah and theres still water in the system... can see it flowing through the rc fuel tank resivour i have setup.

but then i touch the resivour and and feel how hot it is. not just warm to the touch... well ok warm but VERY VERY VERY warm indeed... on the virge of hot! damn it must be the radiator or something.... is it that dusty... i know i havnt cleaned it out in a few months...

then i discover the fans are running on the radiator. this is the point where i screamed in agony like this: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! but much louder.... i have the 2xM1A 120s at 7 volts as to make them silent but still get great cooling... i only switched the wires around in the molex connection of the fans... but the wire slipped (they powered in series, so both died)

well i powered em both up at 12v and sat back and felt the hot air blowing off the back and felt much better.... and in 5 minutets, if even 5 minutets at that! ...the water was cool to the touch like it usually is and the temps dropped down to 36C like usual.... hell i even forgot i had folding at home still running... so the system was still under full load. damn i love this heatercore! the case was now completly cool to the touch as well...

needless to say i still havnt gotten anything to eat...
Unread 03-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

Perhaps you should solder your connections... Or just make sure then don't come undone.
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 04:05 PM   #3
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

yeah like i can solder... seriously i almost ruined my abit mobo a while ago tryin to do a vCore mod...

i should just hook the fans up to 2 seperate molexes so if one happens to get disconnected then i'm still ok... hmm now thats an idea!
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:50 PM   #4
Brad
Thermophile

or just use strip connectors. 65C isn't bad, some of the high end athlons we sell at work sit at 60 - 65C. The AMD distro tells us to keep them under 70C though

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 06:54 PM   #5
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

hah yeah well i know its not bad, i've heard other people get it all the time but the highest i had seen in person before that was like 50C.... so

what got me the most was how hot the wtaer was... and then how fast the heatercore threw all of that heat off!
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:46 PM   #6
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

dunno if you would have burned it with just passive cooling like that but it sure woulda gotten HOT HOT. Still good thing you caught it when you did RT.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote