Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-18-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
Icemanzero
Cooling Neophyte

Power Supply Question

I need some recommendations-
What PS would be good enough to get to power the following :
AMD XP 2100+ @ 1.8V
Epox 8k3a+
1GIG Samsung DDR @ 350 (2X512 sticks)
Geforce 4 TI 4600
SB Audigy Gamer
Intel Pro 100 NIC
2x IBM ATA 100 7200RPM 30Gig Drives
A 40X CD Burner and 50X CD Rom
Floppy Drive
2x Neon Lights
4x 120mm YS Tech 131CFM Fans
4x Sunon 80mm Fans

I heard Antec put out a 550W PurePower Is that any good?

Thanks
Icemanzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Simple. You can either calculate the numbers (but it's near impossible for the mobo and peripherals), or go with a more powerful PSU, like a 550W.

There are advantages to using an overpowered PSU:
1-It won't heat up as much
2-because of #1, it is that less likely to fail.

Overall, you should look for the % of deviation for each line, mostly the 3.3V+, 5V+ and 12V+. 5% is normal. 10% is cheap. 3% or less is very expensive.

If you get a very powerful PSU, the % may not matter as much, but you'll have to go through the exercise of measuring the output (use MBM), and if necessary, tweak the PSU to line up the voltages properly.

Overall, it's all down to a cost issue, and what you're willing/able to do. Regardless, I wouldn't bother with anything less than 400W for your PSU.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Yes antec has a 550W, they are pretty good. The new True Power PSU's have a 3% tolerance of regulation on the 5V, 12V & 3.3V. If you want the absolute best, PC Power & Cooling is it but they are $$$$. An Antec 430W, 480W or 550W would do you fine.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
Icemanzero
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for your input guys. Sound like Ill just go for the antec 550, unless I can find that PC Power and Cooling you speak of here local.
Icemanzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #5
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

You can check out PC Power & Cooling at: http://pcpowerandcooling.com The PSU I would get from them if I was getting one now would be: http://pcpowerandcooling.com/product...hp-atx-pfc.htm
I have the turbo 450 and the voltages NEVER move, even under load. The 475W is $215 though and you could pick up the 550W Antec for around $130. If you get the PCP&C unit you will need to do a fan swap too, the one in there is 48dBa! I put a 36CFM 30dBa Sunon sleeve bearing fan in mine, now it is quiet!

E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 12:57 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The PCP&C is an example of a high-end PSU.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 02:31 PM   #7
myv65
Cooling Savant

As a general rule, stuff that spins (drives and fans) requires 12 VDC. Everything else requires 3.3 or 5. Since drives also have electronics on board, they draw from both 12 and 5 VDC lines.

Most power supplies have plenty of juice on the 12 VDC line for fans since fans tend to require less than 12 watts each. Where you tend to get bit is the combined 3.3+5 volt area.

As a point of reference, I ran an ASUS A7M266-D using (2) MP1800+ processors and a front side bus of 140 MHz using an Antec PP352 PSU. The second processor and low end vid card combine to draw at least as much juice as your single CPU and high end GPU. I had no problems. I've since moved that setup into an Antec PP880 case (with TP 430 watt PSU) and popped an ATI AIW 8500 video card into it. It's also got (2) Barracudas, a DVD, and CDRW drive.

You would be fine with any quality PSU rated for at least 200 watts on the 3.3+5 and 400 watts overall.

With the Antec TP PSUs, you probably already know that they use thermally controlled fans (read: they run hot). They also include specific molex connectors to thermally control your case fans, if you wish. They are setup to maintain a system temperature on the order of 35°C, which tends to fall to the high side of what enthusiasts feel comfortable seeing. I don't mind as my system is rock solid stable. If you don't like that, you can always hook the fans up to the regular molex connectors. The other thing you should know is that motherboards generally report voltages below spec for the TP PSUs. This is because the PSU regulates the voltage at the connector while many boards measure it farther down the chain (after some loads drop the voltage).

In the end, it's up to you. You would do fine with most PSUs rated over 400 watts. I personally use nothing but Antec PSUs and their 430 watts TP one is well under $100.
myv65 is offline   Reply With Quote