Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-16-2002, 03:24 PM   #1
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

Default Just made a cardboard shroud

Just made a cardboard shroud. I am using a Heatercore with 1/2 in barbs from dangerden with tygon tubing. Anyway I just made a shroud for one side of the heatercore and I attached a L1A 120MM panaflo fan on it. It doesnt seem to be pulling much if any air at all. Are these fans suppose to be so weak that they pull no air? Is this fan just too weak?
ColdFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 03:46 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Well, it's an "L" series fan, which translates into LOW flow. You should look for an "H" type panaflo for High, or "U" for ultra high, at least according to this PDF:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/.../fancommon.pdf
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 04:21 PM   #3
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

Would the H class of panaflo fans drop the temps from my L class considerably?

The fan doesnt seem to push the air strong enough to get thru the heatercore.
Unread 10-16-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

According to the "Radiator roundup" at OC, by BillA, yes, it would, but you'll have to find the fan with the right specifications.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Be sure you weren't a doof like me and check to make sure it is wired into the 12V line instead of the lower voltage lines. I had that same problem until I realized that I was a dumb@ss and fixed it.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 04:33 PM   #6
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

get an H series...I tested mine...it pulled pretty good.

I'll be using an M1A though cause the H is loud in comparison.
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 05:02 PM   #7
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

Wow your cardboard shroud looks exactly like mine? whre did you get the cardboard? I tore mine up in the UPS box that came with my watercooling kit.
Unread 10-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #8
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by ColdFlare
Wow your cardboard shroud looks exactly like mine? whre did you get the cardboard? I tore mine up in the UPS box that came with my watercooling kit.
Maxtor 20Gig Hard Drive...

I'll be making a sheet metal one soon as I transfer the design to paper.
Unread 10-16-2002, 05:23 PM   #9
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by mfpmax
Maxtor 20Gig Hard Drive...

I'll be making a sheet metal one soon as I transfer the design to paper.
I used this design, using the cardboard it worked well too. I need to get some sheet metal also, but i cant find any.
Unread 10-16-2002, 06:30 PM   #10
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

Mfpmax

Also I would like to know how did u cut the fan blow hole in that cardboard? It looks very round, my cutout was just horrible using my safety sissors.

When you mean it pulled pretty good, you mean that when you put your hand there you actually felt the air hitting it hard?
Unread 10-16-2002, 06:47 PM   #11
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by ColdFlare
Mfpmax

Also I would like to know how did u cut the fan blow hole in that cardboard? It looks very round, my cutout was just horrible using my safety sissors.

When you mean it pulled pretty good, you mean that when you put your hand there you actually felt the air hitting it hard?
I first traced the area I wanted to cut with a CD...since its about the size of 120mm. Then I used a razor to cut the hole...if I cared, I could've made it perfect, but I didn't so I went outside the line actually.

It pulled air through the heater core pretty good...I hooked up the fan and sat it standing up and put my hand on the other side and felt the sucking of the fan.
Unread 10-16-2002, 07:39 PM   #12
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

lol, i made a temporary shroud using the thin cardboard from a cereal box (works good and easy to cut).

you might have better luck if the fan were sucking air thru the rad rather than pushing it thru. try it and see.

more airflow is typically better; you may want a more powerful fan (unless your temps are satisfactory.) have you even tried it out yet???
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #13
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude
lol, i made a temporary shroud using the thin cardboard from a cereal box (works good and easy to cut).

you might have better luck if the fan were sucking air thru the rad rather than pushing it thru. try it and see.

more airflow is typically better; you may want a more powerful fan (unless your temps are satisfactory.) have you even tried it out yet???
It is already pulling. Well for me the temps are never satisfactory hhe so i guess i will go for more until the fan noise gets annoying.
Unread 10-17-2002, 02:53 AM   #14
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Shrouds rule.
-Kevin
Unread 10-18-2002, 01:32 AM   #15
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

Sorry that I don't have pics, but you guys need to drop that POS cardboard and go to homedepot or whatever, and get a nice piece of sheet-metal/tin! You can make a cut-out using the cardboard and use some tin-snips to cut the metal, which makes a sturdy shrowd that won't fold or wear with time! I got a sheet of 18x24" tin for $3.50 there. Just use a sharpy to mark out the cutting lines etc... Stop playing around with cardboard and packaging tape, hell, I used to and it works great, but after time and wear, adding more tape-"patches" gets annoying and it looks ragged
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 02:19 AM   #16
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

metal shrouds what?
Unread 10-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #17
ColdFlare
Cooling Neophyte

How much are tin snips? There arent any home depots in manhattan, and I dont have a car, or know of any home depots in nyc. Tried all the small local hardware stores, they dont carry any sheet metal.

How much are tin snips? How would i make the fan blow hole cut? I have been contemplating that. I dont have any tools at all.
Unread 10-18-2002, 12:09 PM   #18
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by V12|V12
Sorry that I don't have pics, but you guys need to drop that POS cardboard and go to homedepot or whatever, and get a nice piece of sheet-metal/tin! You can make a cut-out using the cardboard and use some tin-snips to cut the metal, which makes a sturdy shrowd that won't fold or wear with time! I got a sheet of 18x24" tin for $3.50 there. Just use a sharpy to mark out the cutting lines etc... Stop playing around with cardboard and packaging tape, hell, I used to and it works great, but after time and wear, adding more tape-"patches" gets annoying and it looks ragged
Some of us like to do this thing called...prototyping
Unread 10-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #19
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

I wasn't trying to offend folks. I was just saying that for those that are using the cardboard as their PERM solution to a shroud.

Tin-Snips are usually no more than a good ~$10 and cut just about any medium to thin steel. I used a cardboard cut-out, made some drawings on the sheetmetal with perm marker, cut out the shape. Did the angle bending with a block of wood and clamps then brazed the sides with silver-flow soldering. Then cleaned up the flux with some paint thinner, and don't forget to DEBURR the cuts, them things are SHARP! Good luck!
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2002, 02:09 PM   #20
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I dunno about all that, since my cardboard shroud is working better than any metal one can. I'm running my BIX from one side of the case to the other (opening) side. The cardboard allowed me to make a good seal with duct tape ono the rad while a cheeseball duct tape gasket on the other side kept everything nice and sealed when my door was removed/replaced. A metal shroud would eventually damage my rig (something that only I allow myself to do).
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote