Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-17-2002, 08:18 AM   #1
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Default Drilling 1.5mm in Cu and Wire quality?...

What kind of grade is the Cu found in electrical wire?, I'm thinking of using some of the real thick (1.5~2mm) single strand stuff to make 'pins' in my Maze3 over the core area. I've seen stuff that's about 2mm in diametre and am pretty sure you can get bigger for industrial (single/double phase?) usage...

Also can you get Cu welding/brazing rods?, or are they all brass?...

Can you all give me any tips on drilling the holes into the BP?, would using less than 2mm diametre drill~bits be suicidal?...

What about fitting the wire into the holes?, I'm thinking about just pushing it in, heating up the baseplate and putting the wire into the freezer to shrink it. do you think the size change will be enough to enable fitting the wire without bending it but still be tight enough to not need soldering when cooled?, what about heatpaste in the holes?. I know it won't be perfect thermal-interface~wise, but I figure anything'll be better than the lack of core coverage now, as long as the fit is snug the added surface aera will aid cooling won't it?, there will be conduction but not optimal...

Would soldering the wires straight to the BP be much worse (if any) than fitting the wire into holes?, I'll do one or the other but not both...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:43 AM   #2
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I drill 1.5mm holes all the time to 3cm depth, no biggie
use tapping oil, clear the cuttings before they build up
use AS2 or such
you will need liquid N to get enough of a differential
ck your BSs for the wire spec, should be ok

but why do this ?
just get a skived (sp ?) finned hsf and crosscut the fins to your liking