Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 04-26-2001, 07:05 AM   #1
captain
Cooling Neophyte

Default How do I avoid condensation on GPU's

I have never cooled a GPU before and would like to know how you would insulate the graphicboard and products you use. Please refer to links with guides or products.

Would you dare to put 64 watt peltiers with water cooling system in your new Geforce 3 or would you set with air cooling.

Please give me you knowledge about preventing condensation on graphicboard.
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2001, 09:34 AM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

the key is keeping the air away from anything that will have big temp swings. This means insulating the core front and back. Its not that hard, just use some Neoprene, and Conformal Silicone.

Water cooling and Water+Pelt cooling a GF3 would be nice but I get it to OC to withing 10Mhz of its top OC ( 250Core) with its stock air cooling!

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2001, 03:39 PM   #3
ZULU
Cooling Neophyte

Well I am gonna be cooling a GeForce DDR with a 86 watt pelt and a water block to cool the pelt. Now as to condesation. My method was go to Home Depot ( CANADA ) And buy some silicon. MAKE SURE the silicon doesnt smell like acid or anything strong like that or it will kill your card. I put silicon on the back of the gpu and the front around the actual gpu. DONT put it on the gpu. just aroung it. Neverming neoprene sheets just stick with silicon . It has worked for me.
ZULU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2001, 04:10 PM   #4
captain
Cooling Neophyte

Can I use "frost fighter Gel" instead of silicone.

Frost Fighter Gel at
https://www.overclockershideout.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=o&Product_Code= FFG&Category_Code=TPE
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2001, 09:11 PM   #5
ZULU
Cooling Neophyte

Yes sure you can but it's more for the socket of a cpu and doesnt really stay in ones spot. You see silicon you can work with it for about 15 20 min before you just cant do much with it. But once it's dried you will have trouble getting it off. So you got 20 min to make it right. But you can always peel off the rest .
ZULU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2001, 04:05 AM   #6
Butcher
Thermophile

Problem with just silicone is if you get the gpu cold enough you'll condensate on the outside of the silicone (I've condensated outside of a layer of closed cell foam before, at -20C). If you have a nice thick layer of foam it means the outer edge stays warm, hence no condensation dripping off and frying whatever you have below the gfx card.