Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Cathar
Thermophile

Default Storm/G7 Prototype + Piccies

In final testing phase now of my "ultimate" waterblock. Seriously considering stopping making CPU waterblocks after this as its getting kinda "out there" in terms of cost vs performance gains.

Anyway here's the pictures:

http://www.employees.org/~slf/g7/

Got some work to do now, will explain the pictures as the thread develops.

What's changed you ask?

Just to recap what the G-numbers mean 'cos there's still some confusion over this:

G1 = 1 jet
G2 = 7 jets
G3 = 19 jets
G4 = 35-37 jets (implemented G4 has 35 jets)
G5 = 55-61 jets (implemented G5 has 59 jets)
G6 = 85-91 jets
G7 = 117-127 jets (implemented G7 has 117 jets)
G8 = 155-169 jets (could only machine on aerospace quality equipment)

As for the design improvements over the original base Storm design specification:
  • Increased jet inlet plenum area to lower pressure drop (thicker top-plate enables a more voluminous plenum so water can reach all jet inlets with minimal restriction - visible to eye))
  • Ported jet intakes to lower pressure drop (jet intakes are now all ellipse radiused using a custom manufactured tool - visible to eye)
  • Tweaked jet lengths to lower pressure drop (jet lengths are shorter - internal + external mod, middle plate is significantly thinner too)
  • Tweaked jet outlets to lower pressure drop (each jet outlet is chamfered around the outside of the jet tube to offer less restriction for flow exiting the cup structure - barely visible to eye)
  • Multiple flow path channels to outlet to both decrease pressure drop, and more evenly distribute jet flow and total base-plate cooling (self-explanatory and very visible to eye)
  • Base-plate bracing to boost structural strength for high-pressure CPU mounting (the 12 little posts that surround the jet area brace the base-plate and also serve as additional water turbulation for water outwash cooling effect over base-plate outside of main jetted area)
  • Improved top-plate strength for higher pressure mounting capability (just a thicker top-plate, which is offset by thinner middle plate)
  • Middle-plate bracing to improve jet/cup alignment when used with high-pressure pumps (additional consequence of the middle plate posts - reduces middle plate flexing meaning jets stay better focused with respect to their cup counterparts under very high pressure operation - meaning >>10psi)
  • Improved O-ring specifications to minimise assembly based warping (smaller O-rings and slightly wider O-ring groove dimensions, thereby meaning less clamping pressure required to seal minimising the amount of pressure that gets applied to the base-plate effectively eliminating base-plate flex on assembly)
  • Additional O-ring seal between inlet to middle plate plenum and outlet (this one's for the armchair waterblock critics - I never deemed it necessary but people often griped about the design needing one even though it doesn't, so I put it there to keep them happy anyway - may as well)
  • Improved cup/wall ratios for higher performance (minor ratio adjustments - added base-plate strength too)
  • Improved jet turbulators for higher performance (two prototypes being tested)
  • Improved base-plate characteristics for higher performance (adjusted base-plate thickness suitable for G7+silver)
  • Improved jet/cup ratios for higher performance (tweaked ratio adjustment)
  • Improved low-flow performance without sacrificing high-flow performance (micro-jetted efficiencies are much higher even with lower flow rates - also a consequence of turbulator modifications and jet/cup ratio adjustments)
  • Improved small bare-die performance (down to 7x7mm CPU dies) without sacrificing IHS performance. (simulated and tested adjustments to attempt to cover the widest possible variety of CPU types)

There's about 12 month's worth of lessons in this block and I've spared nothing to develop this block that physically embodies everything I've learned.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Sounds and looks pretty good!
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
DryFire
Cooling Savant

If this was made would a copper version be considered? (seeing as teh G5 was only silver)
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
If this was made would a copper version be considered? (seeing as teh G5 was only silver)
If people want a copper block version of the Storm, go buy the Swiftech version.

At this level of machining, the silver is merely a minor part of the overall expense of the block.
Unread 09-13-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Sin22
Cooling Neophyte

Very nice stuff mate.

Interested about the shortening of the jet tubes and the ellipse of the jet intakes. Does the elipse go through the whole tube or is it kept at only the intake area.
Sin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin22
Interested about the shortening of the jet tubes and the ellipse of the jet intakes. Does the elipse go through the whole tube or is it kept at only the intake area.
Extends part-way down into the tube proper.
Unread 09-13-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

Do you think about having larger porting at the centermost inlets to focus more flow into the center cups would improve performance or is it negligible?

CAN we also get more pics of the mid plate?
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

I MUST HAVE ONE!!!

No. Seriously. You've got PM.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
Nugit
Cooling Neophyte

Magnificent, the details on that block. Wow. What a ripper.. I'm speechless.

What's machining time for one of those beautities?
Nugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Breach
Cooling Neophyte

looks like a sweet block Cathar, you have obviously done all of your homework and thensome for this one.

Starbuck how did I know you would be first to raise your hand
Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach
looks like a sweet block Cathar, you have obviously done all of your homework and thensome for this one.

Starbuck how did I know you would be first to raise your hand
Cuz I'm typical
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice work.

I like the new outlet scheme (inner channel).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
In final testing phase now of my "ultimate" waterblock. Seriously considering stopping making CPU waterblocks after this.
"Ultimate" is a complete understatement. More of GODLIKE would appropriate.

Do you have any prelime test numbers for us?
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #14
iakovl
Cooling Neophyte

silver
so much

Cathar, i knew u r a WC ace
now i know, i was wrong

u r a WC god!!!
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
tong
Cooling Neophyte

cathar when are you making these available?

My Ebay
tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #16
murray13
Cooling Savant

Hi Stew, the 'Perfect' Storm. Do you know what the projected or actual pressure drop is like?
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #17
Holst
Cooling Neophyte

I dont suppose you have pics of the other blocks for comparison.

Especially G1, 2 and 3
Holst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #18
killernoodle
Thermophile

That machining is incredible. What is the ID of those jets?
Unread 09-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #19
mwolfman
Cooling Savant

Well done Cathar!

Some questions...
What’s the total production time (Silver and Delrin). I guess the Delrin manufacturing time is about three times the silver time?

What’s the pressure drop? (IE that pump is required to run a G7 CPU AND G7 GPU block inline)

Do you have to machine (mill) the silver block (silver = soft and the pattern is relatively easy to press), what’s the depth on the hols, and diameter (in mm please) any angel (like a upside cone)?

What type of filter is needed so there aren’t any hold-ups in the jets? (I clean my system ones a week with air bubbles...)
~0,15452756±0,004125251°C/W , HL120.3 with 3 Papst 4412@7volt , Hydor L30II
mwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #20
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

excellent job Stew

I especially loved the Wye connection integrated to the top plate... there are 2 holes in the mid plate too if i'm not mistaking... positioned above the center of the channels on the BP sucking coolant from the channels (some kind of Venturi effect perhaps? ) ... very nice

I think that integrated Wye idea can be adapted to the WW as well, don't you think?
Unread 09-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #21
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolfman
What type of filter is needed so there aren’t any hold-ups in the jets? (I clean my system ones a week with air bubbles...)
well looks like the block itself is the filter j/k
Unread 09-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #22
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
That machining is incredible. What is the ID of those jets?
0.45mm

Quote:
What’s the total production time (Silver and Delrin). I guess the Delrin manufacturing time is about three times the silver time?
Total production time is a shade under 3hrs all up (about 2.5hrs CNC work).

Silver CNC time is about bang on 1hr.

Quote:
What’s the pressure drop? (IE that pump is required to run a G7 CPU AND G7 GPU block inline)
Measured to have a slightly lower pressure drop than my original Storm/G4's.

Quote:
Do you have to machine (mill) the silver block (silver = soft and the pattern is relatively easy to press), what’s the depth on the hols, and diameter (in mm please) any angel (like a upside cone)?
I would say that the pattern in this block would be extremely difficult to press reliably. As for the other info, no comment.

Quote:
Either ensure that your water & system is clean when you fill it, or alternately use a cheap micro-irrigation filter if you're really worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacooltech
I especially loved the Wye connection integrated to the top plate... there are 2 holes in the mid plate too if i'm not mistaking... positioned above the center of the channels on the BP sucking coolant from the channels (some kind of Venturi effect perhaps? )
Correct on all accounts. I did my best to ensure that the block allowed as free flowing of an exit path for the water as possible, as well as eliminating any and all calls for a possible third barb.
Unread 09-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #23
mwolfman
Cooling Savant

Quote:
0.45mm.
cool, I’m very happy that I’m not drilling that...
Quote:
Total production time is a shade under 3hrs all up (about 2.5hrs CNC work).
With the exultation for the 0.45mm holes (I might figure that out as well), I can’t see any reason for using the mill when (IF) there series production of the block (just melt press the block and then make the holes with water jets).

Quote:
Silver CNC time is about bang on 1hr.
Ouch, is silver worse than copper to mill? (I made 77*5mm*2mm holes and the rest of the copper block in 20 min, in copper). Cant silver be casted easily?

Quote:
Measured to have a slightly lower pressure drop than my original Storm/G4's.
Nice!
Quote:
I would say that the pattern in this block would be extremely difficult to press reliably.
Depends on the temperature of the silver.

Quote:
As for the other info, no comment.
I guessed that…
~0,15452756±0,004125251°C/W , HL120.3 with 3 Papst 4412@7volt , Hydor L30II
mwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #24
Bundles
Cooling Neophyte

They say there is a very, very, VERY fine line between being a genius and being insane, you Mr Cathar good sir, are perched very shakily on that line in my opinion.

However, if it wasn't for the likes of yourself, watercooling would not be where it is today, have the reputation it has today, and just generaly be so enjoyable and interesting as it is.

I just can't see you hanging up your hose though, there would always be those "Hmm, i wonder if....?" and them "Now I think if I...." moments.

AS for the G7, if i could afford one, then i would take one for certain, can waterblocks get much better than this? I think not.
Unread 09-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #25
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundles
can waterblocks get much better than this? I think not.
Have gathered some results with the G7 vs the G5, and am busy constructing such a post. The G7 is NOT a quantum leap forwards at the higher pumping powered end, nor was I ever expecting it to be such. The G7 represents my version of a near completely "flow agnostic" block (within reasonable limits of course).

Can it get better, yes, very very slightly, but only by specifically tuning for very high-end pumping powers, but for a while now I've realised that water-cooling's back is against the wall with respect to seeing further improvements and with the G7 I think I'm about as close as one can get excluding optimising for specific pumping powers.

I'll explain more when I finish my write-up.

Oh, and I agree - this is pretty close to sheer madness.