Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 08-15-2003, 07:33 PM   #301
siavash_s_s
Cooling Savant

o srry dont take it as a bad criticism i dont mean to make fun of what you do, or change your mind or turn anyone else agianst it... just making conversation i spose...
srry :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Unread 08-16-2003, 12:40 AM   #302
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Do not mean to take away from this thread, and If a mod wants to delete I will not mind. siavash_s_s you have a bad habit of jumping in on a thread and adding nothing substantial to it's content. These threads are meant for people who are interested in advanced cooling and wish that others who are like minded will join to develop a community of resource. You have done nothing to contribute to that. Please, lurk if you must, and learn as much as you can. When you need help post a NEW topic. When you see a post asking for input, only post a reply if you believe it will help the poster.

If you merely want to make conversation, try IRC, or better yet Yahoo chat rooms....

Thanks,

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 10:39 PM   #303
arcsylver
Cooling Savant

Wow,

I have never before enjoyed reading an entire thread so long before in my life.

Cathar you have indeed done it again with this new design.

You definitely have my order request sent in for a silver one already and I can't wait to get it so I can see what She will do for my up coming 3 Ghz P4 rig I am working on.

Prescott 2.8Ghz @ 3.08Ghz
ECS 865PE-A Mobo
Corsair 768 MB PC3200 DDR
HP CD-Writer 9300
Maxtor 30 GB ATA
Danger Den RBX
1957 Chevy Brass Radiator
Danner Mag 7
Rackmounted Dual Blower w/Thermostat
All this in a 4' Server cabinet
arcsylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 10:26 PM   #304
arcsylver
Cooling Savant

Cathar,

I was wondering something when reading in another thread where people were asking about the springs you ship with your waterblocks and thepressure they induce to the mobo.

Would it be feasible to produce a Polycarb plate to mount behind the motherboard to more evenly distribute the pressure of the xcrews to a wider area and also perhaps provide a more even clamping pressure for the block to the CPU?

Prescott 2.8Ghz @ 3.08Ghz
ECS 865PE-A Mobo
Corsair 768 MB PC3200 DDR
HP CD-Writer 9300
Maxtor 30 GB ATA
Danger Den RBX
1957 Chevy Brass Radiator
Danner Mag 7
Rackmounted Dual Blower w/Thermostat
All this in a 4' Server cabinet
arcsylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2003, 03:07 PM   #305
Goksly
Cooling Neophyte

just wondering - if someone places an order for the "normal" cascade now - whats the waiting length like? almost every forum i visit someone has meantioned having or ordering one..... must be huge! :}
Goksly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2003, 08:27 PM   #306
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Goksly
just wondering - if someone places an order for the "normal" cascade now - whats the waiting length like? almost every forum i visit someone has meantioned having or ordering one..... must be huge! :}
I'm around 5 weeks behind the tail of the queue.

It only seems like everyone's buying one because it's relatively new and people get excited and post when they receive theirs. I've only made slightly more than 60, which just goes to show how perception of how popular an item is can really be affected by quite a small number of people.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #307
Goksly
Cooling Neophyte

aye suppose your right.

might order one for xmas - hopefully the que will be down and you will have come up with another "crazy cat" idea and everyone will want that :P
Unread 08-26-2003, 07:18 AM   #308
M_D_K
Cooling Neophyte

can't wait for my Silver beast to turn up ont he door

then i can see what this CPU can really do :P
M_D_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #309
Cathar
Thermophile

Default Curious email

Looky what arrived in my inbox.

Quote:
Guys....I bought (company name with-held) which holds the patent rights to direct-die waterblocks?

I'm unsure as to what to do here - love your work, but kinda makes my $$$$ investment meaningless?

Please contact me concerning this - I hate lawyers.
Doesn't apply to me of course since none of my blocks are direct-die and I seriously doubt I would ever made a direct die block even for personal use, but I thought it an interesting email anyway given that a number of people here are experimenting and venturing into direct-die cooling themselves with possible pursuit of selling one or more at a later date (Jaydee116 and Volenti come to mind).
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 09:01 AM   #310
electrip_flip
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Curious email

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
Looky what arrived in my inbox.

Doesn't apply to me of course since none of my blocks are direct-die and I seriously doubt I would ever made a direct die block even for personal use, but I thought it an interesting email anyway given that a number of people here are experimenting and venturing into direct-die cooling themselves with possible pursuit of selling one or more at a later date (Jaydee116 and Volenti come to mind).
LOL,

maybe the letter was signed by
SCO chief executive Darl McBride,
Master of FUD.

flip
electrip_flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 09:08 AM   #311
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Guys....I bought (company name with-held) which holds the patent rights to direct-die waterblocks?

I'm unsure as to what to do here - love your work, but kinda makes my $$$$ investment meaningless?

Wow, that's smarmy. You washed your hands after touching that letter, right?
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 09:20 AM   #312
electrip_flip
Cooling Neophyte

So pissing in the water-closet is also patented.
I mean,
technically it's the same jet-impingement in a cup.

flip
electrip_flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 10:19 AM   #313
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:

LOL. So this company has patent right to every direct-die water block ever made and ever will be made? That's like saying GoodYear has patent rights to every tire ever made and ever will be made.

Maybe the guy should have asked himself why this company was up for sale in the first place......

Considering making a commercial direct die block just to spite these guys.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM   #314
Quarter
Cooling Neophyte

LoL ... this must be the same fool, abcserve, that posted in a thread over at ARS claiming the same patent ownership.

ARS Thread

Last edited by Quarter; 08-26-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 12:51 PM   #315
t00lb0x
Cooling Savant

LMAO thats it, its in the middle. But you don't own all direct die, he probably just owns some designs. Thats like saying Dtek owns alls blocks that have "mazes" Jesus people in the world like that piss me off. ARG I hope that guy understands he owns NOTHING (except the company and THEIR designs for Direct Die).
Unread 08-26-2003, 12:53 PM   #316
Goksly
Cooling Neophyte

Why do people get so wound up? Let him go talk to his lawyers and let them explain the situation to him.

Letting him get under your skin so easily just makes people laugh at the both of you D:
Unread 08-26-2003, 03:15 PM   #317
t00lb0x
Cooling Savant

He doesn't get under my skin, well he does. It just pisses me off someone can be so arragant. And his "lawyers" will just waste his money anyways.
Unread 08-26-2003, 03:15 PM   #318
Pritorian
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by t00lb0x
LMAO thats it, its in the middle. But you don't own all direct die, he probably just owns some designs. Thats like saying Dtek owns alls blocks that have "mazes" Jesus people in the world like that piss me off. ARG I hope that guy understands he owns NOTHING (except the company and THEIR designs for Direct Die).
Yeah, the only thing he`ll get out of it would be a lawyer bill of a few 1000 dollars
Unread 08-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #319
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by t00lb0x
He doesn't get under my skin, well he does. It just pisses me off someone can be so arragant. And his "lawyers" will just waste his money anyways.
Unfortuantly it isn't arrogance it is ignorance/boarder line stupidity. This fool bought Leufkins Tech and for some reason doesn't undrstand anything about what he bought. Maybe a good sales pitch by the ex-owner. For him to think he has the sole rilghts to all direct die cooling has just had me LMAO all freaking day. Did he base his purchase off of this theory? This is like Swiftech trying to use one of their patents on one of their blocks and claiming no one has any right to make another water block period no matter the design (note: they havn't done this, just an example of how rediculous this is).

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Unread 08-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #320
t00lb0x
Cooling Savant

Yeah, sounds like old owner ripped him off. I guess I did confuse stupidity with arrogance, my mistake. But at least we have a good laugh
Unread 08-27-2003, 02:21 AM   #321
Axly
Cooling Neophyte

Personally I would be very interested in seeing what's written in the patent documents...
Axly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 03:42 AM   #322
ozzy7750
Cooling Neophyte

you cannot patent anything that is considered "public knowledge"

so unless direct die cooling was patented a very long time ago, it is all rubbish. if you want to patent anything, you haev to be very careful not to tell anyone anything, once the provisional is through, you are safe.

but really who cares about a patent like that, protecting it would be damn near impossible. i am sure volenti jaydee etc are making their direct die blocks different enough from the original patents specs that they would be fine
ozzy7750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:21 AM   #323
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Axly
Personally I would be very interested in seeing what's written in the patent documents...
All he can do is patent his design. Which I know what it is. It is inferior to what I have done. All it is a big cap over the CPU with water aimed at the core. Nothing special. The design was so failed it didn't sell well and I think one of the reasons Leufkin went out of business as that was the best he could come up with.

There is no way you can patent direct die cooling, you can only patent how you have done it. Otherwise there would be no competition in the business world if every company patented each thing there is. Ford would have all the rights to making cars, Intel would have all the rights to making CPU's, Danger Den would have all the rights to making water blocks, ect... You can patent your tech, and that is it. Luckily Leufkin was not nearly as advanced back then as we are today and his patents are useless and in the hands of someone that can't even tell the difference between a direct die and a non direct die block.
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #324
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

It's a good thing nobody put a patent <on>water

Last edited by gone_fishin; 08-27-2003 at 02:36 PM.
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 01:46 AM   #325
Starman97
Cooling Neophyte

Direct-Die cooling is a crock..
Water is very corrosive unless it's been de-ionized and all your fittings and pipes are teflon and stainless steel. Then, once it hits the CPU chip, the electric potentials and any trace contaminants in your system are going to start galvanic chemical reactions. The water will get under the CPU die and screw up the solder balls that attach the Si chip to the organic package.
The back of the die has the smallest surface area to start with, it's basically a mirror smooth surface, adding any sort of thermally conductive heat spreader is going to improve on that.
Theres a lot of good reasons as to why direct-die cooling is not done for PC's
There may be some application where is might work, using something other than water as the coolant, but that's getting pretty exotic and expensive for a tiny gain in thermal transfer efficiency.
Starman97 is offline   Reply With Quote