Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
thing 1
Cooling Neophyte

Default yar...any1 tried one o these

PUMP,MAGNETIC DRIVE
Magnetic Drive Pump, Power Rating 1/25 HP, Voltage @ 60 Hz 115, Current Rating 1.65 Amps, Outlet 5/8 Inch OD, Inlet 5/8 Inch OD, Maximum PSI 8.2, Maximum Head 19 Feet, Motor Enclosure OPFC, Maximum Temperature 150 F @ 10 PSI, 70 F @ 30 PSI, Water Flow @ 1 Foot of Head 7.6 GPM, @ 3 Feet of Head 7.0 GPM, @ 6 Feet of Head 6.8 GPM, @ 9 Feet of Head 6.0 GPM, Height 5 1/8 Inches, Length 8 1/4 Inches, Width 3 3/4 Inches
thing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Re: yar...any1 tried one o these

Specs are unusually powerful; suspect it's not a free impeller, but some kind of rubber impeller; those are noisier than you'll care for. Mag drive? Really? I don't think so...

Easiest way to check is to find out if the pump is self-priming; if it is, stay away.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

That be a Little Giant 3MDX. It is as described. Probably cause more harm than good in a PC water cooling loop.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Yep, two specs missing:

1) dBA
2) % of power draw added to loop as heat.

The MCP350 has the lowest % added figures of the common WC pumps at around 60%. This thing is drawing 1.65A @ 115v = 190W.
Even if it can match the class leader and do 60%, that's still adding 110W into your loop as heat. The other 80W don't disappear, they leave as noise, vibration or heat to the air or mounting surface.

Lastly, recall that head increases with the square of the flow rate, and so you won't get even 6 GPM (even?!?!?) out of it as the head will be huge. Then remember the shape of the graphs for flow rate improvements. They are 1/x, and so the benefits of going from 6LPM to 12LPM are not that great, and certainly not enough to offset 110W of extra heat...
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
thing 1
Cooling Neophyte

wow....my fluke temp gun isn t supporting your heat figures , ive added a 120mm fan to cover heat made by pump motor.........no rubber'''''........noise not that bad........this pump is circulating about 6gal. of water ,2 loops for computers ,one for the water cooler attached/with a bypass backto the res,

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13282

this pic is the test stage.....havemore on the way.....

yar ib dun it again..........takes foot out of mouth.........pump motor is makeing large amounts of heat........as it is connected to a mag drive then the pump head itself,very little heat is transfered to the water.

the pumps location allows me to "vent" heat to outdoors whilst cooling the pump w/room temp air .......again see above post for more

Last edited by thing 1; 07-10-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yeah, I have a 2MD, which is still large, but more appropriate. 3MD is just huge. Still draws lots of power though; not very efficient. I'm using it in my testbench now.

Great as an external pump though, especially in a setup like yours; are you cooling more than one 'puter?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
thing 1
Cooling Neophyte

oyes one puter w/vid card
one w/out.....still havent found a block for my 7800gt ......leaning towards the dd mod. as the dd cpu block imrunning is awsome
Unread 07-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

I'd be interested to see how much heat it adds.
Connect the inlet to the outlet and insulate the tubing and pump head as much as possible. Measure the water volume in this loop.
Turn pump on and measure the temp of the water over time: enough time to get a reasonable increase in temperature.
Do the maths for the volume of water and temp gain versus time and you'll get an approximate Watts added figure.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote