Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 03-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
jaylweb
Cooling Neophyte

Default Assist Parameters

Has anyone deciphered the command line parameters for the Assist.exe file?

I can interpret some of the basic ones, like IP address, Admin name, password, sup file name, etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AssistParam.jpg (19.7 KB, 12 views)
jaylweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Assist Parameters

David, you get to catch this one, I am wore out after today (I had a lot of PMs too).
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
jaylweb
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I've figured out that the bootp, sap, and rpc have to do with Assist finding Snap Servers on the network. Being a network guy, I kinda knew that but testing was mildly entertaining.

Still not sure what C_Forward_Connection, FileIO_Enable, and IP_Assignment_Temporary is yet.

Kind of dissappointing. I was hoping to find a way to automate the import server portion of Assist.exe. Looks like I may have to use AutoIT to script it.
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
blue68f100
Thermophile

Assist should only be used for doing the initial setup. And maybe doing an OS Update. Everything else should be done through the GUI.

Assist uses a special protocol written specificly for snaps. This is used to loacte them when the IP address has not be set 0.0.0.0 . No other utility will find them if it IP is 0.0.0.0 . The Guardian units have a fallback to 10.10.10.10 if a dhcp server is not found.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
jaylweb
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
Assist should only be used for doing the initial setup. And maybe doing an OS Update. Everything else should be done through the GUI.

Assist uses a special protocol written specificly for snaps. This is used to loacte them when the IP address has not be set 0.0.0.0 . No other utility will find them if it IP is 0.0.0.0 . The Guardian units have a fallback to 10.10.10.10 if a dhcp server is not found.
Oh, I dissagree. I run S2S on a nightly basis and the Assist Import Server option works great at mirroring the settings from my Primary Server to my Secondary Server. Not only does it mirror the security settings, it also mirrors the shares.

Here's the step by step that I do.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...d.php?p=164926

Unfortunately, they provided a command line way to do everything with Assist except the import server option.