Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 11-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
JFettig
Cooling Savant

Default Heat spreading through pcb Insulating question.

Hi, I just built a peltier cooler for my new 9600xt that cools both the gpu and the same side ram, I have insulated the cold plate very well and I will almost be able to just use it the way I have without any conformal coating or silicone because of the way I designed it.
My question is how far will the heat spread(lack of heat) through the card? how far and how much will I have to insulate on the back side?

I am planning on trying to run this at 5v and see if it will cool it just enough before I make a plunge to full 12v then maybe a 172@12v later if I keep the setup.
Heres a few quick shots.

I made it out of aluminum because thats all I have at hand at the moment, and I am not too worried about the semi-small performance decrease at the moment.

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I think it will largly depend on the load of the GPU. If it is idle then it maybe be a problem, if at load you may not be. Being it is doubtful you will be running the card full load 24/7 it maybe a good idea to insulate it. Assuming the pelt isn't temp controled anyway...
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
JFettig
Cooling Savant

Well, its up and running, it spreads through the pcb to the backside ram pretty good, but not too far other than that, I got it up to 610/355 so far.

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote