Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 03-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Impulse16
Cooling Neophyte

Default Have a few questions...

Hi, I’m fairly new to this dehumidifier cooling mod. So I have a few questions if you all would be so generous enough to help out a poor old n00b

1. What spec should I look for to be higher/lower or whatever for a dehumidifier that will enable it to cool the water better and colder.

2. What should the ratio water to anti freeze be in my cooling mix with this mod?

3. I'm thinking my setup will be about 7-10 feet away from my pc. Could anyone recommend a good pump for me? I hear iwaki is a good brand. What do you think would be a decent GPH for this distance?

4. If I do get an iwaki pump (I’m not familiar at all with it) will I have to mod it or anything to run 1/2" tubing on it?

Any help/input is very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot,

Chris
Impulse16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
moon161
Cooling Neophyte

As far as I'm aware, "50/50 -50F" is the recipe for diluting glycol antifreeze, so try half and half. It may be documented on the back of the bottle. BTW, glycol is sweet smelling and tasting- keep it away from kids and pets, or adults inclined to drink bright green fluids. Low toxicity antifreeze solutions are also available.
Unread 04-08-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
BrianH
Cooling Savant

If your evaporator is aluminum like mine, then I would suggest getting a metal friendly anti-freeze which contains either Dex-cool or Zerex. A 50/50 mix is too much. I would try for around 30% anti-freeze to 70% water. There is an interesting write up here on coolants. But, when mixed metal, anti-corrision is the MOST important factor. The efficient of the coolant is on no use if the unit corrodes and leaks

Try to get a least a 17 pints/day up to 30 pints/day rating. Do not confuse this with the res size.

As for the controls, I removed the Ice sensor, bucket full sensor and humidastat contoller. I found a freezer themostat (at used appliance store) and using it to control the finally temps. I am using a light switch dimmer to control the fan speed.

I got a 30 pt/day and it may be too big. My should be working this week-end!

There is a good article here . Look under the FAQ menu. I have e-mailed #rotor and he used a 17pt/day unit in the write up
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote