Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Why we won't discuss Hammer cooling

Since it will not be out until the end of next year. AMD is revising their processor roadmap yet again, having the Barton appear at the end of Q1, the Opteron appear at the end of Q2, and the Clawhammer appearing in Q4 sometime (possibly in time for Christmas 2003). Stories on this are being reported at www.amdzone.com , www.amdmb.com , and www.overclockers.com .

I don't know about you, but I've been waiting for a hammer since 2001, and I'm about mad enough to firebomb AMD collective @ss. Speculation leads me to believe it will be the 1-8 way MP version of the Opteron, rather than the 1-2 way MP that will be released at the end of the first half of 03. Unfortunately, the pinset (socket) is different between the 1-8 way Opteron and the 1-2 way Opteron (clawhammer) which means that any hardware released for it will be geared toward server use (in other words, good luck finding an OC board for those bastards, or a board geared toward the desktop for that matter).

I don't know about you, but I'd be hard pressed to buy a server Opteron with a DDR controller onboard when dual channel DDR/DDR-II would be coming out in the months following. Further, since the Clawhammer is initially being released with a DDR controller in Q4 (!!!) it will be obsolete before it hits the shelf. I don't know about you, but I think that the Hammer platform has just died, and that we'll be using Bartons until Intel steals us all when AMD closes its doors. I was so looking forward to picking up a Clawhammer in april or may ... now it looks like I'll probably be looking at Intel for my next upgrade.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
MeltMan
Cooling Savant

Sniff... Sniff.... Why'd ya have to go and say it!? WHY???

Unfortunately, what you said seems pretty realistic.
Unread 10-17-2002, 01:09 PM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Go Barton!

I'm sure that AMD wants to come out with something serious, something that could actually compete with Intel's server solution, so if they need more time, then all the best.

As for our Hammers, well, it'll be nice, but since there is no software whatsoever out there, it would really be jumping the gun to release one right now. On the plus side, it will be 32bit backward compatible, where Intel's solution isn't, so if you look at it, this AMD product will serve a lot of people that are in the transition from 32 to 64 bit. The thing is, it's just that: a transition tool. Since the transition hasn't even begun yet, WHAT THE HECK ARE YA'LL CRYING ABOUT???
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 01:34 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I want to get this ramped up now!!! I want to go FASTER FASTER FASTER!!! WAH!!! Anyway, SuSE Linux 64 supports x86-64, and Windows XP 64 x86-64 edition is ready whenever AMD is, from what I've gathered. I want more speed, plain and simple. I want AGP 3.0 (I know you can get it now, but I don't want to waste more money doing an incremental upgrade). I want PCI-X. I want Hypertransport. I want big-busted women feeding me grapes! What they promised was a revolution in speed by, um, entire quarters ago, and now we get pushed back another year.

On another note, www.amdzone.com has a story on DDR-II chipsets being released in Q2 of 2003. Further, Samsung is discontinuing SDRAM production and going strictly to DDR. Also, they are saying that DDR-II is backwards compatible. All of this points to the proposition that the Hammer is probably DOA if they indeed push this back until next Christmas.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 10-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #5
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Now don't be too negative... if they release them around next christmas, they might as well release them with a DDR-II controler... now that would be nice!
Maybe they figured out they shouldn't make it an itanic, and postprone the release date a bit more so they can tweak the chip a bit more... Wouldn't suprise me...
dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Clarification: AMD asks us to point out that Hammer schedules haven't slipped from its previous advice, as we originally suggested in this article. A spokesman from the company told us that desktop versions of Hammer are still planned to ship (for revenue) in Q1 2003 with systems on shelves at the turn of Q1 2003, not the second half of 2003 as we stated.

This has been posted on a number of sites. It looks like people have been popping off at the mouth again without thinking. It looks like it may be a 64 bit summer next year after all.
Unread 10-17-2002, 04:13 PM   #7
HMB
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
It looks like people have been popping off at the mouth again without thinking.
And who come I to think of when u say that?
Unread 10-17-2002, 04:19 PM   #8
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I admit, I was part of the chaos ... the people that I was referring to were the big hardware sites that should know better. Not that /I/ shouldn't know better than to trust half of what they say, but ....
Unread 10-17-2002, 04:42 PM   #9
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

My next system will be Intel barring some miracle
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:49 PM   #10
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

hisssssssssss

so when can we expect those temp controlled benchmarks ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 07:38 PM   #11
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

I wouldn't even bother buying anything comming up in the next few months... too many higher end stuff being released too soon after.

I just bought a 1.6A P4, a $93 Albatron board & some XMS 3500 RAM to build a system to play around with and test out some watercooling designs and I'll just wait a year until they release all the new technology and (the main part) get it stable, 100% certified, 100% accepted, etc... unlike the 8x AGP, etc... problems out now.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #12
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Beans is right. Next summer or even fall.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 08:49 PM   #13
sunblade

Maybe AMD is waiting for Doom3 But isn't Intel also not releasing anything big after hyper-threading until the seond half of next year (desktop-wise)? It sounds like AMD and Intel are trying to play nice...
sunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 09:14 PM   #14
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Intel isn't playing nice. They will keep the price AMD can get for chips low low low, and then they are keeping the 1.8 NW (c1 and SUPER o/cable) around for nearly another year. That will erode the "budget enthusiast" aka o/cer market for AMD further.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 09:37 PM   #15
tim-may
Cooling Savant

im tending to agree with the people that plan on waiting while this new technology storm blows over. personally, as long as i can get a OCed 2ghz xp system going with a good water/pelt system i can convert over to future chips, ill be happy for a good 1 to 1.5 years.

AMD Althon XP 1700+ JUIHB 0302 @ 2Ghz (air cooled)
10.5 Multiplier X 191 FSB = 2005
Epox 8RDA
OCZ PC3500 512mb EL (SYNC CAS2-2-2-4-2)
eVGA Ti4200 64mb @ 285/570 (stock air cooling)
Antec True550
Antec True430 for 220w pelt
tim-may is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 11:45 PM   #16
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

Here's one more joining in on the waiting game. I dont see the point of upgrading my platform when Hammer is still on the horizon (or I hope it is still there )

If I can squeeze 2.0Ghz out of this :unexpected: XP upgrade that I did, I would be MORE than happy till Hammer comes out.

Go AMD!!!!
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 12:16 AM   #17
ambient
Cooling Savant

its gonna be fun to watch or sad. If you look at these numbers and these ones too and also these ones . Not that this is what the end product will be, but it doesn't look like a 2ghz opteron will be all that great, unless they can get it to use ddr-|| or OC real good.
Unread 10-22-2002, 01:43 AM   #18
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

then again Cray might know something we don't...

Linkage...
Unread 10-24-2002, 10:06 AM   #19
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Right on.

I read in one of the many mags I get, that Intel can't release a 64 bit Pentium, without seriously compromising its server class Itanium, and the $1 billion invested in its development.

It looks like Intel might let AMD get its 32/64 bit solution out first!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 12:13 PM   #20
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

From what I've seen, Yamhill has been dead since late '01. The interesting thing is that I've also heard rumors of x86-64 registers in their new chips supposed to be coming out in 2H '03, but that they are disabled (is that the Prescott? I don't pay much attention to Intel). It seems that if that is correct, when AMD's 64 bit solution works, Intel can quickly make the change in their chips and compete head to head on an even playing field. The assumption here is that x86-64 is a hit: while my inner geek is cheering and dancing with goblin-like glee, I don't know that Joe Sixpack will give a flying-funt about 64 bit (especially when the Blue Man group starts painting "32 b1t rul3z" on things with spit-up marshmallows).
Unread 10-25-2002, 03:18 AM   #21
MadDogMe
Thermophile

For all the shadows of destruction and doom hanging over AMD, .., well they're still here, still had the best products since I cant remember *bang for buck* was invented because of AMD, before that it was "bang your head against a wall because of the bucks!", they made Intel turn around and redesign the game. LoL the NW's only been 'uncrippled' a few months, would Intel of even bothered before. No we'd have lumped it...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2002, 09:53 AM   #22
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

I am happy with AMD and Intel in my machines. My Intel boxes just keep running, never a glitch never an issue for years with almost 0 maint. My AMD boxes on the other hand are always a nice handful every few months... something breaks, something just gets weird for a few days, driver issues, etc...

my next setup in my main rig may very well be Dual Xeon's to replace the Dual athlon setup I have now. That wont happen for atleast another year though.. there is nothing that the Dual 1.4Ghz athlons I have cant do right now, and I dont think anything will outpace what they can dish out for atleast 2 years. ( remember most games like Doom3 will require one helluva video card and not rely terribly much on the CPU clock).

I see AMD as like the Camaro of CPU's while Intel is the BMW. One has a ton more fit and finish, and some nice power, while the other has the power, but beyond the engine isnt that nice of a car. ( now all you F Body zealots just back off!) hehehe

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2002, 10:18 AM   #23
ambient
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
For all the shadows of destruction and doom hanging over AMD, .., well they're still here, still had the best products since I cant remember *bang for buck* was invented because of AMD, before that it was "bang your head against a wall because of the bucks!", they made Intel turn around and redesign the game. LoL the NW's only been 'uncrippled' a few months, would Intel of even bothered before. No we'd have lumped it...
You're damn right m8. If amd wasn't around we'd all be like "ok I guess I'm gonna have to pay 700$ for that 1.8aGHz p4."
Unread 10-25-2002, 04:50 PM   #24
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

and most of us would have been smiling to the bank, to go get another overdraft, so we can buy it.... because we would be thinking we are getting a bargain at never before seen low prices... how gullible we would have been.....

I dono... My AMD's are all pretty damn reliable... the only pc not AMD is my wife's P2 233 and it used to be a nice OC'er, but lately it's just not so keen anymore.
Unread 10-25-2002, 06:03 PM   #25
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
and the $1 billion invested in its development.
Hehe they've put a LOT more in Itainium that.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote