Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 01-24-2002, 12:02 AM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default Welcome PCNut!

They are the sponsors of the forums now! This is the ONLY banner that will be in the forums area. I hate banners in most cases, but PCNut is a company that I have liked for a long time and I feel its a good fit to the readers.

Post your thoughts. I know that many of you may not like the idea of a banner in the forums, and I can appreciate that. Atleast its not one of those gay CPM deals or page view deals

In the end it will benifit you guy! A lot of the stuff on the "wish list" will come true with PCNut's backing of ProCooling.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 02:03 AM   #2
iceheart
Cooling Savant

I just hope this isn't on the path towards full-screen popups and dialer software
iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 02:29 AM   #3
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

PCNut = decent prices w/ great support. Joe, I likey.
-Kev
Unread 01-24-2002, 02:30 AM   #4
Joe

Yeh I have 16 popups in the works and I am moving the website to Geocities ehhehehe

Unread 01-24-2002, 03:42 AM   #5
Tux
Cooling Neophyte

speeking of banners there joe why am i baned from the pro chat? eh? i was starting to like it there i enjoyed chating to some of the peps in there?
[Kevin's Edit]Please resolve this issue w/ Joe directly via e-mail: joe@procooling.com . Do not post this sort of thing in the forum as it just makes huge flame threads. [/Kevin's Edit]

Last edited by Kevin; 01-24-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 12:32 PM   #6
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

I honest didn't even notice it until you said that.

I've been trained not to pay attention to adds. They make me want things
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 01:58 PM   #7
Brad
Thermophile

Yes Joe, PCNut is definately a great place. Personally though I'd like to see the odd post in the forums or appearance in the chat by some of the sponsors, so we can talk to them about what we'd like to see, as well as for advice.

I know most of them are very busy, but I think it would be greatly appreciated
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

BTW... Can you make the sponcer's link "Open in new window" instead of "Open in existing window"???

It sucks when you wanna click a link to another web page, so you can get to it later, while you're still reading the current page you're on.
--Audigy
===========
Unread 01-24-2002, 03:44 PM   #9
Joe

Its a flash, I would need to get the Nut to re-code it... I may change it to just a GIF.

Unread 01-24-2002, 03:59 PM   #10
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

Yeah... To me, it just encourages looking at both sites when it opens in a new window. But tha'ts just my *plink* *plink* 2 cents.
--Audigy
===========
Unread 01-24-2002, 04:36 PM   #11
Brad
Thermophile

yeah I agree, every single link to another website should be automatically open in new window
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:51 PM   #12
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I think their prices are outrageously high myself. But the banner is fine non-the-less because I didn't even notice it untill I saw this thread.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:52 PM   #13
Brad
Thermophile

their prices can be bit high, but you can guarentee Humphrey will support you every bit of the way
Unread 01-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
their prices can be bit high, but you can guarentee Humphrey will support you every bit of the way
it is not a "bit" high it is " a lot" high. Epox 8K7A for $119??? I payed under $90 for all three of mine 2 months or longer ago. Everything on that site is over 20+% higher than where I get my stuff. $77 for that board now at newegg.

All the CPU's there are waaaaaay to much except for the AGOGA 1600+'s!!! Thats worth it as they are supposed to OC very well. Same cores as the 2000+'s.

I go to www.newegg.com . I order everything from them and never have any trouble. Prices are rarely beaten and service is perfect from my experience. Also I live a few sates away so shipping is usually 3days for standard.
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:09 PM   #15
RealNut
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the warm welcome, Joe, Kev & Brad! We are glad to be onboard as well.

jaydee116:
I see that you are trying to launch an online water-cooling store yourself, best of luck with that. However, soon you will realize how tough it is to compete and make a living on the Internet, and understand how small vendors like us prices our products. Trust me, I know lots of water-cooling shops on the net, and the margin they make is far higher/fatter than what we do here. We price our products based on our current inventory cost on each, and they are marked up no more than NewEgg.com would on the same products.

It's all about purchase volume & leverage in this business. With NewEgg.com, which is affliate with another big computer company: NuTrend.com, as well as a subsidiary of some distributor called AVS (I believe), which sells to resellers. They can buy 100-1000 times amount of each components they carry, than a little shop like PCNUT. Guess who is going to receive the absolute rock-bottom cost from manufacturers?

Also, products with highly volitile pricing like CPU & memory; if you can turn as quick & much as NewEgg, you can be more up-to-date with your price offerings. Often, our cost even going direct with various manufacturers, are higher than what NewEgg is offering direct to end-users. I can complain all I want to manufacturers, it does us no good, if we can't hand them big enough PO to rec'd the same pricing.

Believe me, I would love more than anything, to be able to compete price-wise against companies like NewEggs, Buy.COM, OutPost.COM, etc.; but the reality is that we can't, if we want to stay in business. The only reason that we are still alive & kicking today, is that we offer top-notch products & services for 6+ years (not many computer resellers on the net survived that long), only offer products we tested & believe in, and have a good customer base who appreicate the personal touch/care we offer.
RealNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:34 PM   #16
Joe

Thats the RealNut folks, not to be confused with The FalseNut or That Mr. Peanut guy

Unread 01-25-2002, 04:59 PM   #17
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by RealNut
Quote:
jaydee116:
I see that you are trying to launch an online water-cooling store yourself.
Actually no, not really. Water Blocks are a spare time deal. I make them when I can. All my equipment is paid for and I have no overhead. I never planed on water cooling equipment to make money, I have other ways of doing that. I wanted to make about 200 blocks before I had to go back to work so I could just ship them but they already called me back. Work is far easier (although I am a forman and it is construction and very pysical work) and pays more than trying to make it at my own business.

Quote:
It's all about purchase volume & leverage in this business. With NewEgg.com, which is affliate with another big computer company: NuTrend.com, as well as a subsidiary of some distributor called AVS (I believe), which sells to resellers. They can buy 100-1000 times amount of each components they carry, than a little shop like PCNUT. Guess who is going to receive the absolute rock-bottom cost from manufacturers?
Yeap I knew that and that is why I buy at www.newegg.com. Anyone who can get that big and do what they do is all right with me. I don't feel quilty about not buying from the little guy if the little guy cannot figure out how to get big like they are.
Quote:
Also, products with highly volitile pricing like CPU & memory; if you can turn as quick & much as NewEgg, you can be more up-to-date with your price offerings. Often, our cost even going direct with various manufacturers, are higher than what NewEgg is offering direct to end-users. I can complain all I want to manufacturers, it does us no good, if we can't hand them big enough PO to rec'd the same pricing.
Once again all the more reason to buy from www.newegg.com . And I buy all my memory direct from Crucial because Crucial works.

Quote:
Believe me, I would love more than anything, to be able to compete price-wise against companies like NewEggs, Buy.COM, OutPost.COM, etc.; but the reality is that we can't, if we want to stay in business. The only reason that we are still alive & kicking today, is that we offer top-notch products & services for 6+ years (not many computer resellers on the net survived that long), only offer products we tested & believe in, and have a good customer base who appreicate the personal touch/care we offer. [/b]
Thats all good. I hope you the best and hope you can get larger with time and be able to offer your customers the price and continue the good customer support. www.newegg.com does both now and that is where I will go untill that changes. I see no reason to pay more for no reason. I can get stuff locally for the same prices you charge over the net. Defeats the purpose of buying on-line IMO.

In any event I am glad this site picked you up as a sponser and is dropping OCWC. Prices are debatable but poor customer service is not!!!

This is all my opinion so I hope Joe or you do not take this to personally.
Unread 01-27-2002, 04:40 AM   #18
Brad
Thermophile

Realnut, Headnut, PCNut, either way, it still equals Humphrey :P

those specials you have on your front page are damned good though I have to say.

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 01-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #19
Lonely Raven
Cooling Neophyte

Humphrey is a great guy and has always been a friend to the
overclocking community.

Welcome my friend!

Jack of All Trades,
Master of None

IT Samurai
Lonely Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2002, 06:12 PM   #20
Joe

I just realized this... the KT7A I am using for all the WBtesting was one I bought in a 1.2Ghz @ 1.4Ghz Package deal from The Nut about a year ago... or maybe 8 months ago, I dont remember anymore

Also one of the mod'd 1.2Gh @ 1.4Ghz cores on my Thunder K7 are the AXIA I got from the Nut back then.

One thing I would dig seeing is PCNut carry some Tyan gear, or AOpen. In all honesty those are the only boards I will use in most of my personal machines simply due to quality and success I have had. But I do love thos Dragon Soyo's hes got.. almost makes me want to get a P4! ( anyone will tell you, thats a feat in itself )

Unread 01-27-2002, 06:20 PM   #21
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Yeah those northwood 1.6 ghz Chips are lookin' pretty sweet, but SOYO boards have always sucked for me in the past. Die faster than enron employees. Maybe I should give 'em another chance...
-kev
Unread 01-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #22
Joe

ROFL... I love enron jokes

I love Soyo boards, I cant remember where I got it from, but I had a Soyo 6BA+ back in the day, and I LOVED that board!! ( I think I may have gotten that from the Nut also... cant remember though)

Unread 01-29-2002, 09:54 AM   #23
SpeeDj
Cooling Neophyte

Nice to see you involved with another great site Humphrey. Always enjoyed the wisdom you have shared with others as well as the open invitations to come and meet you at a show. Unfortunately for me not being out that way leads to that not being a possible thing. But that is alright, as a lurker to this site for quite some time I can honestly say you found yet another high quality site to sponsor.

J

"Don't Contemplate Peace... Create it." - SpeeDj 1994
SpeeDj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:06 PM   #24
Brad
Thermophile

Joe, I agree, the soyo P4 boards are awesome, 6 channel sound, lan, usb2, ata-133 raid, 6 pci, just everything http://www.soyo.com.tw/product/p4s-dragon-ultra.htm

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:31 PM   #25
Joe

Dont forget the SmartCard reader it comes with also