Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-27-2001, 12:45 AM   #1
mkosem
Cooling Savant

Default AquaStealth Jagged Edge WaterBlock

I just ordered one of theses biotches(AquaStealth Jagged Edge WaterBlock). The reviews seem good. It looks like it will have better flow than my old leufken block and it's copper instead of aluminum(this allegedly makes no or little difference). Does anyone here have one? How is the performance in real world applications? I have one of the AquaStealth 120mm radiators with a 108cfm extra thick 120mm fan on it and a rubermaid container with a rio 600 in it. I'm plannin on putting this on an Athlon 1gig with the 266mhz FSB. I havn't gotten the chip yet but it's a guaranteed AXIA so I hope I at least get 1.4g from it if not more!

--Matt
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:23 PM   #2
Butcher
Thermophile

alu vs copper makes no difference? not quite true, copper is better than alu given the same design. The main place this come from is that alu is so much easier to work you can form a better design with it then copper.

As for an AXIA, 1.4G is possible with air, mine does it, although not very stably
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:54 PM   #3
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Cu is Much better then Al. for water blocks, as you are concerned about spreading the heat rapidly over a big surface area and conducting it to the water as fast as possible. Al. can radiate better, but Cu can conduct better.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:27 PM   #4
mkosem
Cooling Savant

alright, I got my nice jaggededge yesterday, along with the lexan clamp I must say, this block performs quite a bit better than that leufken block. Temps seem prety good(about 5degrees farenheit lower) but at least now I am able to hit 1.5gig instead of only 1.4gig as I did with the leufken. I think the clamp makes a big difference too. Those 4 screw holes let quite a bit of pressure get on the cpu(just like AMD says).

--MAtt
Unread 06-01-2001, 02:48 AM   #5
Perwa
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
Cu is Much better then Al. for water blocks, as you are concerned about spreading the heat rapidly over a big surface area and conducting it to the water as fast as possible. Al. can radiate better, but Cu can conduct better.
So a Cu waterblock and a Al radiator is the best config?
I orderd a DD Waterblock this week and now I must get a radiator, Cu or Al?
Perwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2001, 07:59 AM   #6
Joe

Many of the CU radiators are performing better then Al.

just FYI

Unread 06-01-2001, 09:07 AM   #7
Perwa
Cooling Neophyte

Oki, I was at my local scrapyard today and got me a Cu radiator
Now I must wait for DD to send me a waterblock...
Perwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #8
mkosem
Cooling Savant

hmm, since aluminum radiates heat better than copper but copper conducts heat better shouldn't an aluminum water block with a copper plate under it spread heat better?

--MAtt
Unread 06-01-2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Joe

Matt, that debate has happened. I think its pretty clear its all about the same. I think Cu works better as its able to spread the heat around the entire radiator easier then just the Al. types.

Unread 06-01-2001, 03:09 PM   #10
mkosem
Cooling Savant

very good!, thank you

--MAtt
Unread 06-01-2001, 07:04 PM   #11
Butcher
Thermophile

Radiation is more or less irrelevant in computer cooling anyway, the real heat transfer is conduction to the air then convection of the warm air away from the heat source.
Unread 06-02-2001, 01:01 PM   #12
dijinn
Cooling Neophyte

Matt-

I was debating getting one of those jagged edge blocks or one of the DangerDen Maze1 blocks. Reason was it was goin gon my PIII and not for a T-bird.

Anyway, I opted for the Maze1 because although the sizes of the two blocks were the same (roughly 2x2x5/8) and the jagged edge block has those neat jagged channels, the fittings on the jagged channel used 1/8"NPT on the threaded end. The Maze1 uses 1/4"NPT on the threaded end and since my system is 1/2", I can order the Maze1 with 1/2" fittings as an option.

I spoke with someone over at Becooling about their block (can't recall the name) and they said that it would be possible to replace the 1/8"NPT with 1/4"NPT but they wouldn't do it and it definately would require some boring out of the old hole.

So, that's why I opted for the DangerDen block because I would rather not have the 1/8" bottle-neck in my 1/2" setup.

Anyway, that was probably more than you wanted to know...

- J.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote