Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 01-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Dysfunction
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 1000 - Can't complete fsck

Model: 1000
Software: 4.0.824
Hardware: 3.1.1
BIOS: 2.1.364
120GB

I bought this used with a new upgraded drive, and it worked fine for about a year, then the disk developed a problem.

Fsck can't fix it, evidently due to insufficient heap. This is the end of the error log:

E - File System Check: Bad state 0 for inode I=-1072168960
E - File System Check: FSCK fatal error = 39
W - System Initialization: Not enough heap for additional bio bufs

There are some irreplaceable photo jpgs on the drive that I must recover, what are my options? Will upgrading to 4.0.860 possibly fix it?
Dysfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Snap 1000 - Can't complete fsck

Greetings, I had the same error and upgrading to the newest SnapOS and it did fix the problem. When I say problem I mean it let me fix the errors on the HD and mount the hard drive. Any time you "fix" a problem on a hard drive you run the chance of losing data. The upgrade worked for me , but that doesn't mean it will for you. I would try it because you only have two options at this point and the other is a data recovery option. Snaptech does this type of stuff here and he is reasonable if you decide that this is your better option.

best of luck,

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Model: 1000
Software: 4.0.824
Hardware: 3.1.1
BIOS: 2.1.364
120GB

I bought this used with a new upgraded drive, and it worked fine for about a year, then the disk developed a problem.

Fsck can't fix it, evidently due to insufficient heap. This is the end of the error log:

E - File System Check: Bad state 0 for inode I=-1072168960
E - File System Check: FSCK fatal error = 39
W - System Initialization: Not enough heap for additional bio bufs

There are some irreplaceable photo jpgs on the drive that I must recover, what are my options? Will upgrading to 4.0.860 possibly fix it?

Last edited by bitor; 01-26-2009 at 04:02 PM.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Dysfunction
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I understand the 4.0.860 upgrade is free, how do I get it? Seems like I saw an article/faq/post on this site about that, but I can't seem to find it now...
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
bitor
Cooling Savant

I've heard of the SnapOS 4.0.860 upgrade version for free, but that was Adaptec and they sold SnapServer division to Overland Storage. You might try and email Overland and ask them if you can acquire the full or upgrade SnapOS 4.0.860 for free. Either version will work with your present SnapOS version I believe. OR Do a search on the web and see if you can find the image.

You will need..
1.) Assist program for connecting to your Snapserver for the upgraded SnapOS
2.) SnapOS 4.0.860 upgrade OR the full version. Either one will work with the current version SnapOS you have installed now.

Best regards,
bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I understand the 4.0.860 upgrade is free, how do I get it? Seems like I saw an article/faq/post on this site about that, but I can't seem to find it now...
Unread 01-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Dysfunction
Cooling Neophyte

Overland tech support blew me off, suggested I inquire from sales about a support contract that may or may not even be available on this model anymore.

If someone has an alternative suggestion, please let me know. All I want to do is get my family photo jpgs of of it, then retire the device.
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
blue68f100
Thermophile

What size HD and what brand. May run SpinRite and see if it can repair it. If Maxtor see if you can recover the boot tracks. Then throw the junk away and get something else.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
bitor
Cooling Savant

Dave, do you know for sure if Adaptec offered the upgrade Snap upgrade to 4.0.860 for free at there website at one point in time? I remember that they had a place to download it for anybody who went to the download page. IF you remember this then would it not be legal to distribute the upgrade SnapOS version? Just wanted to know your thoughts on this.

bitor

After thought.... I guess it would be legal for Adaptec themselves to give it out, but not anybody else. Would that be a correct statement?
Unread 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
blue68f100
Thermophile

At one time Snap Appliance allowed the v4.0.860 updater ONLY. Adaptec has never allowed.

The owner of the Copyrighted Material (OS) is the only one allowed to distribute it, either direct or through jobbers. The only exception is if it has been Labeled as Public Domain, or Freeware, which it is not.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
bitor
Cooling Savant

Sounds correct, but I could have sworn I saw it at Adaptec's website for download I believe before they did the website overhaul. But anyway, It's to bad they will not allow the upgrade to be given to owners of the older SnapOS units.

Off topic here... Do you know if there was a service pack release for GuardianOS 5.0.133 ?
Do you know what it fixed?

Thanks ,

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
At one time Snap Appliance allowed the v4.0.860 updater ONLY. Adaptec has never allowed.

The owner of the Copyrighted Material (OS) is the only one allowed to distribute it, either direct or through jobbers. The only exception is if it has been Labeled as Public Domain, or Freeware, which it is not.