Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 11-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #26
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

By the way, I just noticed that Linksys has a network storage appliance that supports two drives via USB 2.0, and the OS is Linux. There's even articles on the web describing how to hack the box. It's only $80 at NewEgg (doesn't include the hard drives). Tell Adaptec to go screw themselves.
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #27
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

It also has wireless, right? I saw this at the computer store the other day and was moderately interested. I'll check out the hacking and seriously give it a look
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:55 PM   #28
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

I did play along BTW, I just wanted an answer

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 01:37 AM   #29
Davesworld
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmons
By the way, I just noticed that Linksys has a network storage appliance that supports two drives via USB 2.0, and the OS is Linux. There's even articles on the web describing how to hack the box. It's only $80 at NewEgg (doesn't include the hard drives). Tell Adaptec to go screw themselves.
Not quite a worthy replacement. You still have to supply external usb drives to it which makes it rather cumbersome and 2 drives does not raid 5 make. At the end of the day, you'd have a snap replacement that comprises 3 devices and the total bill would be 300 or so dollars US plus. When you use usb drives, you are really just using a usb to ide bridge and a case. There are plenty of good alternatives to Adaptec that would be more like a replacement to a snap server. BTW, Snap's Guardian OS IS Linux based as well. If there was enough interest, somebody could certainly make a small Snap OS replacement based on Linux. I wish I was talented enough to do it myself. I'd still like to know if SnapOS's proprietary license violates the many Gnu or Bsd licenses with programs such as Samba and so forth. Any changes they made have to be published and at least the source code would have to be available with the purchased SnapOS4. I'm very sure that they did NOT come about Server 2003 capability by using Microsoft code but rather recent improvements to Samba. I think the questions need to be raised since it may just be that THEY are in violation as well. Imagine upgrading Samba in SnapOS and then charging a fortune for the new capability. Hmmmm..........
Davesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #30
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Well, I never said the Linksys was an optimum solution, but it *is* an affordable alternative.

While I'm just guessing that many of the folks here are home users on some kind of budget, that point should not be so quickly discounted in favor of the "gee-whiz" factor that RAID provides.

The cost is directly proportional to the size and number of drives you attach, and it's NOT an Adaptec device (which was the whole point behind the suggestion).

As far as licensing of their own OS, I'm sure Adaptec has a sufficiently thick bullet-proof shield covering their collective asses. )
Unread 11-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #31
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
It also has wireless, right? I saw this at the computer store the other day and was moderately interested. I'll check out the hacking and seriously give it a look
I don't think it's wireless (but I could be wrong).
Unread 11-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #32
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

These are 2 linksys nas:
http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...?idProduct=134

&

http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksy...?idProduct=136

But they are damn expensive in the uk.
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #33
breadtrk
Cooling Neophyte

I hate to admit this in public, but I know JSimmons from another internet world. He is right, for the sake of this community it is not worth playing this game. Glad to see that those involved have done the right thing. Moving underground in situations like this is always prudent.
breadtrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #34
resago
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Attention : Snap Posters Please Read Asap - Legal Notice!!! (11/08/04)

heh, just give china the file, they don't give sh!t either way!

still running 2000!!!!

Help with Coding
www.resago.com
resago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #35
Ramjam
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Attention : Snap Posters Please Read Asap - Legal Notice!!! (11/08/04)

Why don't ADAPTEC concentrate on selling hardware? The software is of little use without the hardware.

As an IT professional I agree with software licencing but if the software drives/configure/maintains hardware then what the hell, give it away? The easier it is to get support from budding enthusiasts the fewer people will go bothering the supplier, the supplier learns from a wealth of free thinking experts testing the hard and software from every conceivable angle.

ADAPTEC shame on you !!!! Make fantastic products that bear no improvement and nobody will seek to make your support software available !!!!
Ramjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #36
poma5
Cooling Neophyte

I just recently needed a new drive for a 4100 and a 4500 snapserver and found that they are now owned by adaptec. They Suck for service.
No more free server os upgrades and only paid support after 90 days. we have 5 of their Snapservers onsite. It cost us $128.00 just to talk to Support on our 4500 Snap that was still in warranty. We just wanted to get a drive replacemnet for a drive that is still under warranty.
I work for a local County Government in Southern California and I will never buy another Snapserver again because of the Adaptec service policies.

Poma5
poma5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #37
blue68f100
Thermophile

Joe,

This needs to be the first thread. It is being rotated toward the bottom.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #38
oshar
Cooling Neophyte

Personally, I think Adaptec suck.

How can they charge for software to make their product work as they should in the first place. Surley, If it doesnt work like it says it should on the tin, then the product is "not fit for the use it was intended" and you should be able to get a refund (if you so wish).

My $0.02
oshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #39
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshar
Personally, I think Adaptec suck.

How can they charge for software to make their product work as they should in the first place. Surley, If it doesnt work like it says it should on the tin, then the product is "not fit for the use it was intended" and you should be able to get a refund (if you so wish).

My $0.02
Well no

They are not designed to be upgradable....

And the old version weren't built to support 2003 AD, and therefore, an OS update at a cost is feasible

And they offered free os v4 to people buying it around the time of OS v4 release, as they were advertised as such

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote