Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
madmaxx
Cooling Neophyte

Default modding a mcp-650

wondering if there are any mods out for this pump as id like to maybe get a little extra out of it.

thnx
Unread 10-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: modding a mcp-650

That pump should have enough power to run a couple restrictive blocks pretty efficiently. What are you running with it?

I don't know of many mods for it. The only one's I remember are over volting them.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
madmaxx
Cooling Neophyte

i know i saw somewhere a mod for the inlet or outlet that increased performance?

im not up to overvolting, id like them to last

im redoing my loop (have all parts) which will consist of 2 mcp-650's, swiftech storm G4 rev.1, maze4 GPU, modded chevette H/C and 1 mcr-220.

was also thinking of putting a mcw-30 on the N/B (this id have to buy)

currently im running 1 mcp-650, swiftech storm G4 rev.1 and the chevette H/C. all internal (antec plusview 1000)

my idea is a single loop all internal.
Unread 10-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx
i know i saw somewhere a mod for the inlet or outlet that increased performance?

im not up to overvolting, id like them to last

im redoing my loop (have all parts) which will consist of 2 mcp-650's, swiftech storm G4 rev.1, maze4 GPU, modded chevette H/C and 1 mcr-220.

was also thinking of putting a mcw-30 on the N/B (this id have to buy)

currently im running 1 mcp-650, swiftech storm G4 rev.1 and the chevette H/C. all internal (antec plusview 1000)

my idea is a single loop all internal.
That sounds like some serious overkill as is. I don't think you need to mod the pumps at all. One of those pumps should run that loop pretty good.

As for the mod the only things I remember seeing are for the little DDC/MCP350 pumps. Lot of inlet/outlet mods. Many even made aftermarket tops for them. The MCP650 though already has large inlets and outlets and a ton of power.

Might try and hit up http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php? They might have more info on the pump.
Unread 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
madmaxx
Cooling Neophyte

i want max cooling. 2 of these is similar to md-20 isnt it?

ive tried looking at xs, havent seen anything yet.

im 100% shure that there was a mod done on these pumps just cant remember where i spotted it. the person made some mods to the inside housing around the impeller area and/or the inlet/outlet.
Unread 10-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
i want max cooling. 2 of these is similar to md-20 isnt it?

ive tried looking at xs, havent seen anything yet.

im 100% shure that there was a mod done on these pumps just cant remember where i spotted it. the person made some mods to the inside housing around the impeller area and/or the inlet/outlet.
Adding to much pump is making your cooling worst. Adds more heat to the system.

Here is a good thread on the subject: http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10825
Unread 10-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
madmaxx
Cooling Neophyte

thnx. like i said from what i see in that thread 2 x mcp-650's are about the same as a md-20, am i missing something?
Unread 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
thnx. like i said from what i see in that thread 2 x mcp-650's are about the same as a md-20, am i missing something?
There is a MD20, MD20R, MD20RZ and a MD20RZT. All different outputs. Not even sure they are all still made.

Anyway you have plenty of radiator capacity so I don't think it matters to much. Just note the temp difference between 1 MD20RZ and 1 MCP650 was .9C.... So adding a lot more flow is not going to help after a certain point and can be negative if to much power is added from watt dumpage into the water.

However looks like you got 2 rads. So you have plenty of cooling there. 2 pumps may not help temps (maybe try it with one and then 2 to see) much but you will have a redundancy if one pump fails if nothing else.

Anyway I searched google using everything I could think of and didn't come up with a mod for it other than the voltage mods.

Another interesting thread on it: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=384735
Unread 10-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
madmaxx
Cooling Neophyte

i found a little bit of a mod thread @ XS but the pics are shoddy and it isnt very descriptive. its kind of what i was looking for. this thread tells of modding the impellar itself (i wont do this) and un-shrouding the outlet on the inside housing.

the thread i came across was much more detailed with better pics, more explanatory and best of all some real testing. it covered the un-shrouding part and also enlarging the inlet/outlet (not shure of which 1)

thnx for the link jaydee imma check it out now.-->nice find there ive got a 50mm x 50mm fan/hsf thats roughly the same size as the back of the pump, i could mount it directly to the rear motor housing? might not work for me as im kinda cramped for space as it is, might give those "breather" holes a go as they look more compatible with my setup.

my pump(s) are in direct flow of the air coming off of the H/C so i think if i drill some holes in the rear case panel where the pump(s) is/are it would allow the air to pass over the pump(s) and out the case instead of passing over the pump(s) and stagnating(sp?) in the corner of the case.

is it safe to assume that unshrouding the outlet (on the inside part of the housing) and slightly increasing the i/d size of the outlet itself while also increasing the i/d size of the inlet would net more performance? both flow and pressure?

Last edited by madmaxx; 10-07-2007 at 02:37 PM.
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
madmaxx
Cooling Neophyte

thnx for your help jaydee

i found the thread which i was looking for.

and a few others along the way