Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-29-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
Serpico
Cooling Neophyte

Ac4g...???

so... i was browsing the web for geeky news (like i do every 10 min =P), and i came across these guys...

www.activecool.com

they are introducing a cpu cooling system that supposedly provides near the performance of vapochill/prometeia at a fraction of the price ($120?). anyway, im a newbie to extreme cooling (finished my first w/c setup today! w00t!), so i have no idea what this will actually perform like. they say it can cool a 4 GHz p4 down to 26 degrees C. that is not prometeia or vapochill. someone who knows more about this, please shed some light. all they say on the website is that they use 'solid state' cooling. what does that mean?

like i said earlier, 26 degrees is not prometeia, but for $120 and a normal-looking easy to install heatsink, it might be a good deal. but i need to know, will it really cool any current cpu to 26? thx for the info, anyone...
Serpico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 05:33 PM   #2
Serpico
Cooling Neophyte

btw that was my first post here! i graduated from gamershq (lol)...

and this is my second. schweet.

ok ill stop spamming now haha.
Unread 10-29-2002, 05:43 PM   #3
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I'm sorry for bearing the bad news, but the site says that 26 C temp is in typical system, not P4 on 4 GHz...

More info, anybody???
Unread 10-29-2002, 06:18 PM   #4
ambient
Cooling Savant

Its gotta be a tec. The card thingy looks like a mini psu, at least it has a little plug for an external power source. Notice Thermaltake is the distro, sup with that? And THIS page has a few coolers that actually look like the HSF. Could be kindda of fun to play with though. Slap a 80mm 50cfm fan on it with at shroud.
Unread 10-29-2002, 09:02 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It's a TEC all right. The PCI connector looks like it's got a few pins, so there might be an accompanying software to go with it.

Swiftech just released a TEC/heatsink, 226Watt, air cooled. Are they nuts? Oh well.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2002, 04:18 PM   #6
Serpico
Cooling Neophyte

yeah i read about the new swifty thing... they say a 40 cfm fan is REQUIRED, and 70 or more is recommended - LOL... anyone interested in a TEC will not like a vantec tornado in his case...

i feel sorry for the poor soul who buys into swiftech's marketing, which will probably emphasize the benefits of a TEC without telling about the dangers, or the noise of that massive fan you would need.

and dammit, i just realized u were right. they don't say 26 for a 4 GHz P4. oh well, there goes that...

i guess ill stick with my "normal" "old" "regular" "reliable" watercooling =P.

just kidding about the quotes and sarcasm btw. as far as i can tell, it really is all of those things!
Unread 10-30-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

They call it a heatpump but is just what looks like to me a teac-heatsink sandwich with a small footprint power supply. The claims of low speed fan usage are interesting. They talk about a processor running a word processor program (not much load there). No mention of 100watt heatloads which we would be interested in. Big name heatsink companies have tested it.

Would Dell type manufacturers risk this in their off the shelf systems?
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote