View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Resync orphaned drives in RAID 5?

The bigest mistake is that most get impatient and power the unit down during the fsk. Snap and very few raid system allow you to reinstall without resyncing. This is why looking at the drive config, logs and led help diag which one is criticle. It does not help the way snap number there drives just makes it harder. Now someone who does raid diaster recovery on snapos servers have utilites and knowledge to force the drive in the array.

This is one reason I use spinrite and shut the server down and test the drives out of the unit. As long as the unit is off you can remove and test at will.

I really think what may had happen is if your MB is a rev 1 without the mod the extra capacity drive made the array unstable. Causing the failure. Apparently it tollerated 1 large dirve but the 2nd one took it over the edge.

4100's nornally do not have problems reporting drives to the front panel, 4000 do. But this only applies to units with Good Power Supplies and a mb rev of 3 and higher. Larger HD also require more Power to spinup and operate.

The 4500's are good units, but are server class equipment with server noise. Not what you normally want next to you. I had to put mine in a rack and add a window unit to accomidate all of my equipment. The Guardian OS is more polished, OS resides on HD. So if you get a blank unit you need a working one to get it started up. Plus the OS is over $600+ the reason some are using alternate/free NAS software. Which is a shame because these units are nice and the sotware is what makes the unit. But can be very expensive since they require a service policy to get the os.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote