Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 02-16-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
acuba
Cooling Neophyte

Default Design review

Hi all

I´m planning to make my first waterblocks. One for the CPU and one for my Gf4.
After looking around in this forum and trying to soak up any ideas and pro/cons I think I made twa quite good designs.

For the CPU I´m aiming for a jet block. The reason that the channels looks like they are is that the tools needed are available here at work, and the material is free . Copper 8mm bottom with acrylic top.

Because of some space regulations I tried to make the Gf4 block as small as possible. 4mm copper bottom with a soldered brass top (slightly transparent on the pics....).

Sooooo what ya´ll think? Is it a good design, what can I improve?

The first two is for the graphiccard and the others are for the CPU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wb_cpu_jet_per3.jpg (43.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg wb_cpu_jet_per8.jpg (49.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg wb_gf_jet_per6.jpg (36.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg wb_gf_jet_per12.jpg (39.9 KB, 41 views)
acuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
rundymc
Cooling Neophyte

ok, this is a swiftech mcw462 design
get rid of the two things on the top and bottom- water is going to flow towards the outlet one way or the other and the furthermost outlet from the dimples isn't going to get alot ofwater anyway- the gains in flow rate are greater than the gains in distributed cooling
make the holes smaller, and put alot of them in the center- for inspiration look at BillA's work with the swiftech mod- you can do something similar with a drill press
I'd say make the base thin- about 1mm and drill very small and shallow dimples in there- decrease the size of the inlet barb
rundymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
acuba
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for your response, however I don´t quite understand what you mean. Both blocks uses one inlet and one outlet. The block for the CPU is using nine holes as jets above the core. Then the water is forced around and back to the outlet (as shown in my GREAT illustration called wb_cpu_flow)

The Gfx block is basicly a chamber with a tube in the middle, directing the flow near to the core.
And just to make the Gfx block a little more easy to understand I made one even GREATER illustration called wb_gf4_flow)

Please give me more feedback, since it is my first (stolen) design I want to use all your gathered knowledge....if I may.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wb_cpu_flow.JPG (14.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg wb_gf_flow.JPG (9.5 KB, 22 views)
Unread 02-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
DOHCrazy
Cooling Neophyte

What program did you make that in?
AMD 2500+ @ 2342 Mhz 213 x 11 @ 1.75 VCore:: Asus A7N8X-Deluxe w/ Uber 1007 :: Corsiar pc3200 DDR400 matched 2x256 :: ATI 9600pro @ 480/320 - 3858 3D'03:: WD 80 gig 7200 :: Modded Thermaltake X3 :: Thermaltake 420watt Sleeved and Modulated PSU
L30 - Chevette HC - WW - 2 120mm Evercool Alum's
Heat-wur
DOHCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
rundymc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCrazy
What program did you make that in?
good question
anyway, I'll go further
the two things enclosing the dimples, don't do much
I think you expect water to hit the dimples then redirect to the closest outlet, but water, like- electrical current-, always takes the least restrictive route, which would be the outlet closest to the exit barb, while the other outlet will hardly get any
you could either get rid of them totally, or replace them with a C shaped thing that surrounds the dimple area, and the outlet barb placed on the other side- I don't think the latter is worth the effort though
and don't forget- you need more dimples, concentrate them in one area and make them smaller
also, the water chamber in your block looks a little high- lower it or alot of water will get reused
rundymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
acuba
Cooling Neophyte

Ok thanks, for the explanation rundymc. (and for the drooling )
I think I get your point, but again to clarify the blocks has only one inlet and one outlet.

For the CPU I have a C shaped barrier to force the water around and back to the outlet, maybe I´ll add that to the Gfx block to...

The program is called TrueSpace3 and is freeware, check it out at http://www.caligari.com/products/truespace/ts3/
Unread 02-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
Boli
Cooling Savant

Seeing the results of the cascade project I don't think the C barrier is even needed, the water will swirl around and up the outlet easily enough.

~ Boli
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
acuba
Cooling Neophyte

oki thanks Boli

I´ll post the real picures as soon as I´m finish