Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Default My Current External W/Cing Project

Here are some pics of my current project. The components are:

Iwaki Md-30RZ
2-342 Rad
Criticool Waterplant Res
4 120mm Panaflo M1A's
Tygon 1/2'' ID tubing
No Blocks yet (Waiting on Cathar's Storm)

I have some Cold Cathodes, UV blue dye and the plexiglass top with the dragon emblem is UV reactive also. Should look pretty cool when it's done.

Here are the pics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (18.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (25.1 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (36.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (14.9 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Moony; 07-27-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

You really should try it with just 2 120mm fans and not the 4 in push/pull. VERY little performance bost and LOTS of extra noise as you have it now.

Is that res now working to trap air, or is it still giving you problems?
Unread 07-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Talked with Cathar. Basically, the pump just needs some restriction to function correctly or else it will be extremely loud. Air wise, I just had a small air leak at the input of the res (had to tighten the clamp), that's why the air wasn't bleeding. Yeah I figured I'd install the push/pull and just take it off and try temps without the 2nd set of fans after I have everything setup.
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
scooterfl
Cooling Neophyte

Moony, I like your setup so far. How is the res attached to the pump?
scooterfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Well, originally I had a tube going from a barb on the res. But I realized that it was restricting the inlet so I dremeled out the hole where the barb was in the res to fit the pump inlet and put a ton of aquamarine epoxy on the area.
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Taking your advice pH. Going to move one set of fans over to a second heatercore and run the 2 hc's in series. Same noise, better performance. Got the pump for it anyway.
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

have you run this thing yet (I asume you have...) how is the vortex situartion in that res?

SenC.
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #8
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
You really should try it with just 2 120mm fans and not the 4 in push/pull. VERY little performance bost and LOTS of extra noise as you have it now.
Haha! Then I guess you think this is totally rediculous;

But then again, I have these:

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #9
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

do the castors lock ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
firtol88
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
do the castors lock ?
You're thinking about it as a racing case aren't you?
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I've run it, but the pump is cavitating due to lack of backpressure (no blocks/second rad yet), so I can't really tell. When I did get the res bubble free I didn't notice much of a vortexing problem, but I can't be certain yet. Nice case btw...push/pull isn't ridiculous if you don't have the space, it's just that in an external case if I have the room for a second HC why not just run 2 HC's pulling with the same noise as a single rad with push/pull.
Unread 08-07-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Okay update on the project. I haven't had that much time to work on it but I've made some progress. Here's a couple pictures to give you guys an idea of where I'm going. I've added a second heatercore, moved fans around so that they are not in a push/pull anymore and just pulling, made a box around the pump which will have a 120mm fan on top, and added sound absorbant foam to the box. Tell me what you think, I haven't added water to the system yet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0048.JPG (90.6 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.JPG (79.3 KB, 178 views)
Unread 08-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #13
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

for what is that canister off the end of the pump ?
Unread 08-07-2004, 09:25 AM   #14
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

It's a Criticool Waterplant res gooped onto the inlet of the pump.
Unread 08-07-2004, 09:49 AM   #15
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

have you fired this thing off ? (before building the boxes ?)
Unread 08-07-2004, 11:06 AM   #16
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I've run it in a loop before adding the second HC. Now I'm just waiting on the 120mm fan for the pump enclosure and Cathar's new block to finish this project off.
Unread 08-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
Hansfragger
Cooling Savant

Looks great so far. You should get some serious temps out of that bad boy! Good move using the foam to dampen the sound. If you still get any noise from the large cabinet resonating, you can use what Audiophiles do for speakers. There is a thick, heavy, pliable putty called "Duct Seal" that HVAC people use to seal vent ducting. Take a golf ball size chunk and roll it in your hand to the shape of a cigar. Then press one diagonally against each side of the enclosure, or at least in the "pump room". You can squish it flat and it will adhere by itself. The best part is a 1 pound block is 2 or 3 bucks at the hardware store. You must be getting stoked as close as you are to completion! Thanks again for the help on my external kit.
Hansfragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 05:25 PM   #18
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the tip. Should I use it instead of foam on the pump enclosure or? I know the noise reduction coefficient of the foam is 0.8, so apparently that's pretty good. Or should I use a layer of putty and then foam on top of that?
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #19
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Not sure where you are getting your noise foam, but www.mcmasters.com has a seleciton of noise foams at reasonable prices. A couple of them are pretty good for our use.

That is one powerfull pump. It will be interesting to see how see works for you with Cathar's new Storm CPU block. Is the Storm the only block you'll be running or will you have GPU & ???

With dual rads & 2 or more blocks it should be plenty of resistence for ya.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:20 PM   #20
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I got the absorbant foam from mcmaster-carr. It was only like 20 bucks for a 54x24'' sheet of the stuff.

Block wise, I'll be running a GPU block in the loop as well. I just installed the fan over the pump enclosure. It's a thermaltake 120mm with manual speed adjustment. I'm going to do a small experiment when I get the system up and running to see how much of an effect cooling the pump itself changes CPU temps.
Unread 08-10-2004, 02:08 AM   #21
Hansfragger
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
Thanks for the tip. Should I use it instead of foam on the pump enclosure or? I know the noise reduction coefficient of the foam is 0.8, so apparently that's pretty good. Or should I use a layer of putty and then foam on top of that?
You should still use the foam, that is what will muffle the noise from the case. The purpose of the putty is to absorb the vibration(resonance) of the pump. When the pump operates, it vibrates. If the vibration is strong enough, it will cause the wood case to vibrate, the same way a string of a guitar works. On small pumps, mounting a small rubber pad between the pump and the mounting surface will stop the vibration from transferring to the case. As pump size (and usually vibration along with it)increases, vibration from the pump will overcome the ability of the pad to stop the vibration. Then the wood vibrating will add a different noise to the sound coming from the pump and fans, effectively increasing overall sound levels. And even though this resonance from the wood is quieter than the pump or fans, is usually is the part that is the most irritating. Kind of like when you add a high performance exhaust to a car and at a certain idle speed you notice a really irritating sound, but goes away as you increase the speed of the engine. That is the little Demon known as resonance.This is where the putty comes in to play. The putty does not reduce overall sound levels like the foam, but absorbs the vibration emanating from the pump. So you don't need to cover the pump box, just place a strip diagonally on each panel of wood. For example, if you measured one side of your box diagonally, the same way you would measure a monitor, and it was say 12", press a line of putty against the wood until after you have sguished it the final dimensions are 9"L x 1"W x 1/4"Thick. This should effectively dampen any resonance from a pump that size. Some people also use a product called Dynamat(expensive), which is like spreading out Duct Seal paper thin, applying a sheet of aluminum foil, and covering the whole surface. Different execution, similar results. Looks nicer, but a lot more dough. Hope this helps.
Hansfragger is offline   Reply With Quote