Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
DDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Default Wall mount pump pics

Nothing original here, but thought some of you might like to see the mighty piss-ant pump configured in an interior/exterior wall mount config. Let me know if anybody wants any more detail. Pics should be self-explanatory. Cost for pump (19.95) and all the parts is slightly less that a total of 30 bucks USD.

Pump is rated 10 watts/126 GPH/4 ft shutoff, but cooled my system on high VCore very well when I was using an external rad box with a 343 single pass core.

I have two of these in series since I added the 40 feet of ground loop. One worked quite well, but two really got things moving. Bought me a couple of C. That is a total of around 60 feet of tubing since my computer is around 8 feet from the wall where the loop pipes come in. I was surprised than just one of these did so well with that much tubing. It does a lot with just 10 watts.

Notes:

1> Most of the time I use these as an in-line and don't use the third fitting shown in this pic. I was playing around with using it as an air-bleed.

2> Tested pump at 6 inch head - Did one US gallon in ~21 seconds. Shutoff was ~ 4.5 foot.

3> Those fittings are thin walled and flow well with a 9/16 ID. A 1/2 ID will fit over them with only a little stretching. When drilling the hole for the fitting, use a 3/4" paddle bit, and wiggle it a fair bit, or a 7/8 paddle bit (better).

Notice that 5/8 OD will slip into the bottom of those fittings to a depth of around 3/4 of an inch.

4> The pump is held by compression between the rubber feet and the small piece of 5/8 OD tubing carrying the output into the fitting. Works well and is secure. Shake it and bang it all you want, never moved a bit for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001.JPG (57.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00002.JPG (39.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00003.JPG (29.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00004.JPG (38.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00005.JPG (42.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007b (1).JPG (45.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007b (3).JPG (47.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007b (4).JPG (58.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007b (6).JPG (33.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007b.JPG (28.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by DDogg; 10-23-2004 at 09:11 PM.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

WebMedic showe me a similar setup a couple years ago. He used a little RIO pump. Worked ok.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #3
DryFire
Cooling Savant

interesting.

finished picks of the whole setup are a must.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

Curious as to the fittings. They look like they are liguid tite fittings for non metallic sealtite conduit, and the box is a pvc junction box. Does the lid have a urethane gasket or oring secured inside in a channel?
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 09:20 AM   #5
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Busy
Curious as to the fittings. They look like they are liguid tite fittings for non metallic sealtite conduit, and the box is a pvc junction box. Does the lid have a urethane gasket or oring secured inside in a channel?

Yup, it does. I used one for a res inside my case for awhile. It was just to big for me though but worked great. Those fittings are awesome. They have a gasket seal too that won't leak at all. Tygon fits great over them. Cheap vinyl tubing isn't so good with them though. Takes a little more force to get it on the fittings.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
DDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
WebMedic showe me a similar setup a couple years ago. He used a little RIO pump. Worked ok.
Yep, like I said, I don't think this is particularly original. I do like the low flow resistance and the fact that these can be used outside and are 100% weatherproof. I don't think this pump is actually made by Little Giant. I think this is an Italian pump that is OEM'ed. I've come across duplicates with other brand names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
interesting. finished picks of the whole setup are a must.
I added a couple of pics to the 11th post in this thread.

Quote:
Fittings and box or made by Carlon. Some more info here. 3rd page I think. /add: Home Depot or Lowe's electrical dept. - about a $1.50 per.

Gasket on the cover lid is black dense foam, don't know if that is urethane, or not. Should have shown a pic of that. I've not had any leaks.

I like these CarFlex fittings because of the large ID ~ 9/16. The 90 is especially functional for our uses with its broad sweeping turn. Coupled with the large ID, I think it provides about the smallest flow disruption one could hope for. I guess they are not too pretty, but I'm not in to all that bling thing. Just want good functionality that is not expensive. These fittings have a spiral thread type of thing that really helps get the tubing on all the way up.

/Add: another good thing is that 5/8 OD flex will fit deeply into the inlet of these fittings. A dab of PVC cement makes it completely secure. So, you can use these as a pass-through/panel mount on a case for instance. If you lightly ream out the base of the fitting with a paddle bit, 1/2 copper will fit into it deeply. A fillet of JB makes it completely secure. I pressure testing one at 100 PSI and it was OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00004c (1).JPG (48.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by DDogg; 10-24-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 10-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
2Busy
Cooling Neophyte

I work in the electrical wholesale trade and am well familiar with the carlon fittings and boxes. Seeing how trade sizes in electric do not correspond to anything in real life, I am curious as to what size fittings with what size tube you are using. I was thinking of making a res out of one of their pvc junction boxes, like an 8 x 8 x 6 or a 6 x 6 x 4. Since it is gasketed, and I would be mounting it feet down, did not figure I would have much problems with leakage. The thought of using the fittings never occured to me. Great idea, whomever it belongs to. I actually saw a post somewhere the other day that someone was using a pvc LB condulet for a res on the back side of their case.
2Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
DDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I work in the electrical wholesale trade and am well familiar with the carlon fittings and boxes. Seeing how trade sizes in electric do not correspond to anything in real life, I am curious as to what size fittings with what size tube you are using. I was thinking of making a res out of one of their pvc junction boxes, like an 8 x 8 x 6 or a 6 x 6 x 4. Since it is gasketed, and I would be mounting it feet down, did not figure I would have much problems with leakage. The thought of using the fittings never occured to me. Great idea, whomever it belongs to. I actually saw a post somewhere the other day that someone was using a pvc LB condulet for a res on the back side of their case.
I used the CarFlex 1/2 inch, which I agree doesn't seem to correspond exactly to 'our' stuff. Still, 1/2 ID and 5/8 ID clear will fit on it. 1/2 in ID takes just a little stretching. Not too bad if prestretched with a pair of long handled needle nose (nose in) and handles pulled apart. I don't even bother with warming it.