Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-23-2002, 07:12 PM   #1
oc192sonet
Cooling Neophyte

Default Cray SV2 Cooling video

http://www.cray.com/company/video/

Cray SV2 Technology Overview

Greetings,

I ran across this link from Cray Supercomputers which shows a 30 minute video of the SV2. Of importance is the manner in which they cool their chips. Should make for some interesting food for thought.

Thanks and regards...

Joe
oc192sonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
oc192sonet
Cooling Neophyte

Default interesting devices

http://www.exair.com/vortextube/vt_page.htm

More food for thought. Might incorporate these into video cards cooling. Sorry upfront for the links, just sharing ideas.
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:34 PM   #3
Bollocks
Cooling Neophyte

Compressed air spinning at 1 million RPM is going to be a tad noisy for ur average computer

not to mention the hot air jet from the other end at 240 degrees F

--------------
Celeron 466@525 stable
Plans for H20 setup in HX08
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:52 PM   #4
oc192sonet
Cooling Neophyte

Yes sir, i agree it would be a challenge to come up with ways to utilize the heat side of the vortex tube to some useful function. My guess would be to keep your coffee hot. On the first post, the Cray video starts to talk of the cooling system at about 10 minutes run time, but to be honest, the whole video actually gave me wood. Once again, thanks and regards.
Unread 01-24-2002, 06:09 AM   #5
gmat
Thermophile

OMG. I can't wait to see someone coming up with this kind of device on his PC. Think of it, it would spit out flames. Wow. I must have one...
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 02:39 PM   #6
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

the spray deal is cool, but totally impractical for our uses.

They are using a Liquid to Vapor multiphase system that took TONS of engineering work. Also the pumps you would need to move that kind of pressure would cost 800 - 1000$ at the least.

Its a cool idea, but a cooling system like that for a PC would run in the range of 2000 - 3000$ total in the end. I will just buy a faster CPU for 200$ and be done with it instead The Idea of spray/evaporation is cool, and much more effeicent than raw waterflow, just way out of most peoples reach ATM.

EDIT:

About Votex tubes. Another great idea... but where you going to keep a steady compressed air source? a big air compressor with a 100% duty rating?? Thats a few thousand bucks there alone. What about the TERRIBLE screaching noise those tubes make. They are NOT silent, they are louder and more annoying than anything I have heard in a PC ( I have seen them used at a local metals shop to cool a lathe bit). Both are awesome ideas, just not practical for our use.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
oc192sonet
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I agree, It was pretty stupid to post those links. I thought that this might be the right forum for it... you know liquid or phase change cooling...some folks have never seen phase change cooling in action, so I thought it might be useful. Sometimes we underestimate the caliber of folks we have in here, and it is just a matter of time before someone builds it...

thanks and regards...

joe
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:54 PM   #8
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Not stupid at all, it was VERY interesting, and is food for thought. THANKS!

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:14 AM   #9
Dix Dogfight
Cooling Savant

I found this article in a Swedish Techpaper.
It is basicly a refrigerator without a compressor.
http://www.nyteknik.se/pub/pub27_3.asp?art_id=19074
Look at the picture and i will try to explain how it works.

The round disk, CD-size, has thermally isolated sectors. In each sector there is a insert of Gadolinium. Gadolinium is a metallic element that is magnetocalorific. Which means it heats up when it's put into a magnetic field.
When a sector goes into the magnetic field it heats up. The heat is transferred away to a radiator. When the sector exits the magnetic field it cools down to a temperature below ambient.
When this "cold" sector reaches the "thing" that is supposed to be chilled it takes the heat from the "thing" and gets warmer. The "thing" has now cooled down a bit and the, now warm, sector continues to the magnet to dump this heat. And so the cycle continues.

The positive side of this construction is that the only energy needed is to rotate the disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnetic_cooler.jpg (31.8 KB, 105 views)

Setup:
Dual Duron 1100 | Voodoo 3 2000 | Addtronics W8500(WTX) | Eheim 1250
| Car radiator | 2 Innovatech WB |
Dix Dogfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:32 AM   #10
Dix Dogfight
Cooling Savant

I found this article in a Swedish Techpaper.
It is basicly a refrigerator without a compressor.
http://www.nyteknik.se/pub/pub27_3.asp?art_id=19074
Look at the picture and i will try to explain how it works.

The round disk, CD-size, has thermally isolated sectors. In each sector there is a insert of Gadolinium. Gadolinium is a metallic element that is magnetocalorific. Which means it heats up when it's put into a magnetic field.
When a sector goes into the magnetic field it heats up. The heat is transferred away to a radiator. When the sector exits the magnetic field it cools down to a temperature below ambient.
When this "cold" sector reaches the "thing" that is supposed to be chilled it takes the heat from the "thing" and gets warmer. The "thing" has now cooled down a bit and the, now warm, sector continues to the magnet to dump this heat. And so the cycle continues.

The positive side of this construction is that the only energy needed is to rotate the disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnetic_cooler.jpg (31.8 KB, 101 views)

Setup:
Dual Duron 1100 | Voodoo 3 2000 | Addtronics W8500(WTX) | Eheim 1250
| Car radiator | 2 Innovatech WB |
Dix Dogfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2002, 10:12 AM   #11
oc192sonet
Cooling Neophyte

That sounds pretty awesome. Is there a name for this device? I am going to try to translate the url tonight to find out more about it. Hopefully systrans works on it. I had a friend working on a similar setup for use as an energy generating device, but I didnt know the details. Thanks for sharing that.