Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-29-2002, 07:24 AM   #26
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Yeah, I can see what you're thinking, It's good idea but I wouldn't use any tubes at all, just bottom block and plexy top designed to be the tube, res and top, with inlet and outlet,the inside should be designed as round as posible so the flow would be as unrestricted as possible plus also the edge of the hole in the block with fins should be rounded to so the flow is directed to top more smothly, hmm interesting idea, I'll have to install ProE and try to model that.
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:33 AM   #27
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yeah, but I don't want to add a lot of weight to the actual block (with a big plexi top) and I would rather have the water flow out freely in a res sitting on top of the CPU, to which a barb could be fitted.

That way, there is no need for a plexi top at all. The waterblock's weight would be the copper and the barbs. That's it.

Also, the advantage of this design is that the center barb doesn't need to be secured very tightly, just enough so that it stays in the center.

I have thought about it a bit more, and was thinking about extending the fins towards the center, so that they could be tapped. This would hold even a cheap plastic barb, and allow the coolant to flow in all directions. If needed, the fins could have a copper plate (about 1") soldered on top, just to make sure that the coolant flows through the fins. Then, a few posts could be soldered on top of that plate, to hold the center tube, avoiding a barb altogether.

The insides of this block could be sandblasted (like the Maze 3) to increase the surface area. a 1 3/4 barb could be installed, to protect the thread (which is the hardest thing to do with this design) while it is being sandblasted.

I really don't know how I would tap a 1 3/4 thread in this thing...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2002, 10:00 AM   #28
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Plexy is actualy very light, and the overall heght of the block wouldn't be more than 5cm. And it's a lot easyer for mounting, to have everything in one piece, separate small res needs someway of mounting to.
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:29 AM   #29
Cieprus
Cooling Savant

Thats one sweet looking block man!
Cieprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2002, 07:49 AM   #30
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Plexi is light, I'm sure, but tubing is even lighter... the res at the end of the tubing, 2 inches away, could simply be suspended in the case, with a wire.

Anyways, I still am clueless about that 1 3/4 thread.

I was doing some reading last night and I've got something to share with you: your jet port may not be optimal:

In the pic below (excuse the crudeness of it, I just drafted it this morning) there are 3 different types of openings.

a) your opening (I am assuming).
b) another type of opening, which compresses the fluid to a focusing point (horizontal arrow), at a distance from the bottom of the opening equal to half the diameter.
c) a Nozzle design, specifically to focus flow straight out of the hole. The curve (in red) is calculated and is an ASME standard.

(plexi in light blue, water in dark blue)

I'm not saying that you would be better off with something like this, but you might consider it. I still believe that you might be better with no restriction at all, which would give you a better flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nozzle.jpg (8.0 KB, 234 views)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2002, 05:37 AM   #31
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Damn, now I know how Fixittt felt when he first saw gemini spiral block.

http://www.xcl-clan.com/

Anyway there are some important differences, especialy on final machined block, that I believe will make my block better
Unread 06-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #32
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

i like urs better lol
lotta cool blocks now, just need some good roundups and numbers. but it seems the blocks are comming faster than the reviews lol
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2002, 12:56 PM   #33
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

ok, IM gonna chime in on this one..... all I gots to say is (AND DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY)

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOLHAHAHAHAHAHHALOLOLOLHAH AHAHAHALOLOOL

Sucks dont it?

think of it this way...... great minds think alike....
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2002, 04:03 PM   #34
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

i guess, but some of these designs.........are just too damn alike. COINCIDENCE!!??

...lol
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2002, 02:01 AM   #35
Brad
Thermophile

regardless of fix's rambling, very nice block. now we just need to find a lawyer

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2002, 03:40 AM   #36
morphling1
Cooling Savant

LOL, but anyway we put ideas here for anyone to see it,and it's not like they are protected, so it's normal that one could use them, but if you adopt someone else's idea to the detail, you should at least mentioned where it came from.
Unread 06-10-2002, 05:36 PM   #37
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Yes morph, I agree.... looking at that block, I see a bit of morph and Fix in there......

But hey, Im getting used to it.............
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2002, 02:19 AM   #38
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Fixittt, I think you could help me with few q.
In the near future, I'm going to make my own desktop cnc mill, I'll make it just for milling up to 100x100 mm work pieces (waterblocks prototypes).
So I need some info of what kind of stepper motors do you have on yours (tech specs.), maybe some detailed pisc. ,which milling bits you can use (up to what diameter), how powerfull is your main motor, is it stepper or servo, do you have any gearbox.... all you can give me