Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-27-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
Jim
Cooling Savant

Default Any one using the HX08 case (by Aopen) for water cooling?

I am interested in the AOpen HX08 case, since it big enough (I hope) to get all my water cooling stuff inside and short enough to fit under the desk.

Has anyone got this case? IT has another brand name, but I forget what the heck it is at the moment.

Anyway I was wondering if there is enough room up top (inside) for a Chevette (6" x 6") heater core?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Jim; 06-27-2002 at 10:22 PM.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
FRAGN'STIEN
Cooling Savant

I have one jim, it's not watercooled, but it is a huge case. I don't think you would have a problem getting some W/C gear in it. The one I have is painted mettalic black, has a custom window, gold trims, blow holes, suck holes, the works, it's just sitting in my garage now

nevermind I just noticed you were looking for a HX80 sorry mines a HX08 the big full tower one oops

Last edited by FRAGN'STIEN; 06-27-2002 at 10:16 PM.
FRAGN'STIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
Jim
Cooling Savant

No!
You have the CORRECT number and I who should go to bed early and get off the web, has the INCORRECT number.

I will try to edit my post.
Anyway, is there space above the PS for a120 MM fan? Cause I would like to mount the heater core in there with a fan on it and possibly a fan on the back to push and pull the air. Not too thrilled about using case warmed air to shove through the radiator so I may put in a duct off the roof if possible to intake out of case air.

Also, how is drive mounting in this case, I got Antecs with the rails and cans so I am spoiled!
thanks FR
Jim
Unread 06-27-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
FRAGN'STIEN
Cooling Savant

Hey jim. I went out and measured it and it's right there for a 120mm. It would fit but it will be tight and it doesn't look like the heatercore would fit, you are talking about the top rear right? If your talking about just the top portion of the case then yes it will fit and then some, but there is a ton of room at the bottom front, You could fit 2 120mm there with some modification i.e. take out both hard drive mounts.
Unread 06-28-2002, 01:28 AM   #5
mkosem
Cooling Savant

I don't think a 120mm fan above the psu would work. you could put them on the lid tho!

--Matt

http://www.mattkosem.com
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 04:02 AM   #6
Gnozo
Cooling Savant

Yep, I've got one

Well....I don't really think that it's THAT big after all as some might say. It's quite "slim", so using a large heatercore in the front would be difficult. I've got dual 120mm blowholes in the front of it, so it won't be a problem with needing air for a heatercore/radiator. I'm selling mine soon, because I'm going Addtronics

Pic:

http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...1602/vand1.jpg

And yes, I know it looks like crap now, gotta clean it up
Asus V8420 TI4200
Eheim 1048 - Maze1 - AirPlex EVO240 - Lian Li PC-61
Gnozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 06:50 AM   #7
Jim
Cooling Savant

Gonzo-
They are about 1" tighter than the Antec I have.
The link didn't work for me.

FR and MK thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Jim
Unread 06-28-2002, 09:09 AM   #8
Gnozo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Gonzo-
They are about 1" tighter than the Antec I have.
The link didn't work for me.

FR and MK thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Jim
Hmm...but the case has a removable mobo tray that are fairly big. Therefore it get's quite tight inside the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watercooled.jpg (71.4 KB, 111 views)
Asus V8420 TI4200
Unread 06-28-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
Gnozo
Cooling Savant

Here are some from the HardForum(sorry for linking to another forum)

http://www.hardforums.com/showthread...8&pagenumber=7
Asus V8420 TI4200
Unread 06-28-2002, 09:31 AM   #10
Hellion_Prime
Cooling Neophyte

I own two Antec KS188s which is the same chassis as the HX08, different bezel design. You CAN fit a 120mm fan above the power supply where the 80mm exhaust fans are. I have modified one to this spec for a friend.. It wasnt a fun mod, and I wouldnt try it again, but it can be done. I removed the entire 80mm panel and replaced it with fresh metal with a 120mm cutout on it.

--HP
Unread 06-28-2002, 09:53 AM   #11
MeltMan
Cooling Savant

There is WAY more than enough room in there. Way more. I have an HX-06 or whatever model (the mid tower, not full tower) and it is a perfect tiny WC beast.

It looks a lot different than that now... I've cut and painted. I'll put up some more updated pics sometime.

This is the original loop. Its a tight squeeze, but i lose no drive bays or any functionality.
Unread 06-28-2002, 02:36 PM   #12
Jim
Cooling Savant

Hey guys
thanks for all the great info and the pictures as well.

Very interesting that a Antec KS188 is the same case, I like Antec cases so I got to dig around and see who sells it.

Once again thank you for you time and efforts.
Jim
Unread 06-29-2002, 12:13 AM   #13
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

ive also got the case (soon to be watercooled). you can fit a 120mm fan above the PSU (its a tight fit, but shouldnt require modification).

there is no way to mount a Chevette core (measures 6 1/8" x 7 1/4" x 2") there without mods to the metal chassis (which could severely decrease the cases stability in that area unless you brace it). you would have to mount the core sideways to fit it in there otherwise it would poke out above the top panel (and look like total ass).

there is however plenty of space up front to mount a heatercore (or 2 BIXs if you remove the drive tray there). it fits like a glove after you chop up a tab on the front part of the chassis (which gides the MoBo tray. you dont have to chop it off totally, you can just shorten it) . ive got a 120mm intake fan mounted under my core, with my pump mounted behind that fan. plenty of space.

you can also mount the core right under the top panel, which would also require mods to the top part of the chassis (this would be easier on the chassis since you wouldnt have to chop away as much of the top brace as you would have to if you mounted it above the PSU). also note that you will lose the top hdd rack (which sits above the PSU) if you mount the core in that area.

the hdds mount with screws just like most other cases (no big deal, unless you're always swapping out drives. in which case id recommend one of those Vantec ez-swap removeable hdd racks or something).

Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 06-29-2002 at 12:17 AM.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2002, 06:46 AM   #14
Jim
Cooling Savant

Cyco-
Dammit, I forgot that the listed dimensions don't include the "tank" on the top of the heater core so I was incorrectly assuming the Chevette heater core was 6"X6".

Arrrrrrr! I still can get it inside somehow.

Hey is the Fiero heater core smaller yet?
Jim