Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 10-21-2002, 08:24 AM   #1
dreamie
Cooling Neophyte

Mult-channel block

Comments?
dreamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

It's very pretty. However, I would recommend extending the fins around the first bend (assuming a center inlet) and over the core. That is where they will do the most good, IMO.

Bob
Unread 10-22-2002, 06:14 AM   #3
MadDogMe
Thermophile

The stuff on the right(specialy single outer channel, and the 'semi circle' thing) is'nt doing anything really, also have the channel the same width as the in/outlet 'circle'. I think you'd be better of with a multichannel 'spiral', I'm not into spirals myself, I think Cathars got the right idea putting fins over the core area, it's wasted elsewhere IMO:shrug: .
Why the three holes in each corner?, thinking of making it a TEC block?, if so fins everywhere over the TEC area is the way...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 07:39 AM   #4
dreamie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by utabintarbo
It's very pretty. However, I would recommend extending the fins around the first bend (assuming a center inlet) and over the core. That is where they will do the most good, IMO.

Bob
I wanted to do that, but i just dun have the skills in Solidworks to draw it out evenly.

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
The stuff on the right(specialy single outer channel, and the 'semi circle' thing) is'nt doing anything really, also have the channel the same width as the in/outlet 'circle'. I think you'd be better of with a multichannel 'spiral', I'm not into spirals myself, I think Cathars got the right idea putting fins over the core area, it's wasted elsewhere IMO:shrug: .
Why the three holes in each corner?, thinking of making it a TEC block?, if so fins everywhere over the TEC area is the way...
the semi-circle thing at the center is just for filling up the empty space. I was actually thinking of a multi channel spiral before i set off designing this, but my "leet" SolidWorks skills really is restricting my designs alot
The 3 holes in each corner is not for TECs. The middle hole is for the Socket A's mounting holes, the 2 outer holes are for mounting the lexan on top of it.

Any more comments?
Unread 10-23-2002, 03:14 AM   #5
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

The only comment I can think of is that I dont think it's going to be too effective in cooling a CPU.
Lot's of hotspots in that design!
Keep it up though......its bound to come to you
LiquidRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 03:46 AM   #6
dreamie
Cooling Neophyte

Presenting a new block, the side passa block! This is a small block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sidepassa.jpg (45.0 KB, 104 views)
Unread 10-24-2002, 04:24 AM   #7
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Why different thickness fins?, I'd like to see some fins over the core too, and not so much 'bulk' around the inlet. By having twin paths for the water you're making a low restriction block, but you're not gaining anything velocity, unless you make the two paths added the same diametre as the tube bore. what kinda pump are you aiming at?.

I think it's a good improvement on the other though. I like 'compact' ...

Are there any 'free' 3D modeling proggies out there?, that are'nt too large?(56K'er )...

Last edited by MadDogMe; 10-24-2002 at 04:35 AM.
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote