Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 03-07-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Default GeForce 4 Water Block

I have an old P3 based celeron clocked at 1100Mhz. no water cooling but it has a thermal take volcano 9 which is enough for this celeron to be overclock upto 1320Mhz (20%).

But the real problem is that the computer is not stable at that speed, but not because it is not being cooled enough, but because of the graphics card.

I am sure that the problem is the graphics card because the computer supported more than 17 hrs of prime 95, but when i tried to access the internet, the screen goes blank and when the windows restart, then an error report is generated (picuture below in the second post).

So i decided to water cool the graphics card. I made this design (see attechment), #rotor design (thanks #rotor) and I am going to cut it in al.

I have a rad that can take up to 6 x 80mm fans. Do you think that this is enough cooling for the geforce? Maybe once I will add another water block for the NB, but for now that is my project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #rotor.jpg (28.8 KB, 137 views)
Balinju is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 03:45 PM   #2
Balinju
Cooling Savant

The error report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error2.jpg (32.9 KB, 136 views)
Unread 03-07-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
Axle
Cooling Savant

*cough* A GF4 MX440? Maybe 8w TOPS? Umm, yeah.

But I don't know that it'll help. If the GF isn't OCed at all, then your FSB is up too high for your vid cards comfort (although I don't really know). Try a different card, or put a huge sink/fan on yours/ try ram sinks.

Seriously, though, just cooling your MX isn't really very common/ nessiary. Nor is cooling a cele. But if you were to, by far, yes, I'd be suprised if you needed a rad at all for just an MX series card. Occasionally spiting at the card would cool it enough.

I don't mean to put you off WCing, though, if you havn't already on another system (which it sounds very much so like you have); its great, but I don't think it's do any good in your system.

Cheers
Unread 03-07-2003, 04:27 PM   #4
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

One thing about the block, you have too little space between the grid and the four holes. Maybe to lose the four corner holes (do not drill them) to make some more space for sealant...

Or maybe the pic is deceiving me...
Unread 03-07-2003, 04:57 PM   #5
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

this strikes me with disbelief. you can trust me as i work for an OEM that is known to the budget ppl (anyone know MEDION - through Aldi outlet). so no surprise that half a year ago they extensively used that MX. the MSI card we used then i succesfully modded by glueing a retired moderate P3 heatsink on. with no fans that thing only got lukewarm after hours of 3dmark looping. (no overclock at 1.5V).

the block you are about to make looks really fun and cool to make, but in my eyes could be put up in the standard english oxford dictionary as the explanation for the term "overkill"
Unread 03-07-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
hydrogen18
Cooling Savant

unless u plan on upgrading soon, grab tt crystal orb for it.
hydrogen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 03:50 AM   #7
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Quote:
with no fans that thing only got lukewarm after hours of 3dmark looping. (no overclock at 1.5V).
The real problem is that when the pci bus gets up to 38 Mhz, 3dmark won't run on my computer, But prime 95 yes. 3d mark will hang the computer when arriving at about the 4th test and when the pci bus is overclocked up to 40mhz, then 3d mark won't even begin the first test (my motherboard does not support the pci lock) and furthermore, when i tried to overclock the fsb to 133Mhz (so that the pci bus gets down to 33mhz) the computer do not even start

Quote:
One thing about the block, you have too little space between the grid and the four holes. Maybe to lose the four corner holes (do not drill them) to make some more space for sealant...
you are right
Unread 03-08-2003, 03:51 AM   #8
Balinju
Cooling Savant

What i forgot to say is that when the cpu is overclock to 1276mhz (38mhz pci bus, 115 fsb) then the gpu supports even some overclocking (at which speed the system is perfectly stable), but when i overclock to 1320 and then downclock the gpu, i still get the same error and the compter still hangs for the same reason

Last edited by Balinju; 03-08-2003 at 04:09 AM.
Unread 03-08-2003, 04:24 AM   #9
Balinju
Cooling Savant

another thing, on this celeron, i have this shit of a motherboard link which the only voltage that i can adjust is the vcore. someone can give me a link where i can learn how to volt mod this shit of motherboard. i need to change the vagp for sure and mabye the vdimm
Unread 03-08-2003, 05:12 AM   #10
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Take a look at the northbridge heat, if the heatsink is cool it's probably got a bad contact, lapp the NB~HS and use some white silicon heatpaste, I've had better results with it compared to AS2 & AS3 on large area chips/cores...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 07:25 AM   #11
Balinju
Cooling Savant

Thank you, i will try that i will even try to lap the celeron itself, and even maybe the gpu itself, but not for now because the exams are just in 2 weeks time