Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-24-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
nleahcim
Cooling Neophyte

Default Design of O-ring grooves

Hi - I'm working on designing my northbridge block - and i've run into a bit of a,w ell, stumbling block. How should I make the grooves for the o-ring? I'm using a two part design - a top and a bottom. So should I just cut a sort of half pipe design into each with the same diameters (cross sectional and actual) or I have seen some blocks that didn't seem to even have grooves on the upper piece. Or should I make the groove a little smaller in cross sectional diameter to put a little more tension on the o-ring? Thanks for your advice!
nleahcim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
Balinju
Cooling Savant

ok here you will find the standards of the o ring groove.

now you will need to mill this channel in only one part of your block, either on the top or on the bottom only, but not on both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oring2.jpg (8.1 KB, 166 views)
Unread 05-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
nOv1c3
Crazy Stupid

You could go with just a plain old gasket

Be so much easier than trying to mill a O ring grove
nOv1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 04:09 PM   #4
nleahcim
Cooling Neophyte

Oh, I'm not worried about the milling part - my friend will take care of that for me with his CNC milling machine. So, the groove should be square, not round? That is insane!
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
hara
Cooling Savant

It's not. The pressure required to deform the O ring to a rectangular cross section will ultimately seal the block tight.
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
Balinju
Cooling Savant

it is not insane, it will seal perfectly, but you could also opt for a rounded groove done with a ball nose if you do not like the square groove. but always follow the standards.
Unread 05-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #7
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

This is what I went off of for designing the O-ring groove for my REV. 5.0. http://www.quadion.com/factbook/4-10.htm

jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 04:48 AM   #8
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Quote:
you could also opt for a rounded groove done with a ball nose if you do not like the 'square' groove.
I'm not sure if that would work. Basicly you need a flat area top and bottom for the O~ring to 'flatten out' into. I think the standard/formula would be different for a rounded channel :shrug: . I'd be easier to get a good clean smooth finish on the 'square' channel...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
nleahcim
Cooling Neophyte

I think I'll just stick with the squar groove design. Less hassle anyways.
Unread 05-26-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by nleahcim
I think I'll just stick with the squar groove design. Less hassle anyways.
Rounded groove is just as easy to mill. Just need a ball ended endmill. They actually make just as nice a groove as a flat ended endmill. But it is really irrelevant. As long as the groove has the proper depth it is good no matter which way you go.
Unread 05-27-2003, 06:35 AM   #11
MadDogMe
Thermophile

What about width for distortion?, O~rings 'oval' out under pressure don't they?, and they're not supposed to touch the walls?(as far as in it interferes with the O~rings 'distorting' freely?)...

I'm sure it would work with a bit of trial and error to get the dimensions right, but then again I've never seen it used comercialy with any O~ring application I've seen...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #12
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
What about width for distortion?, O~rings 'oval' out under pressure don't they?, and they're not supposed to touch the walls?(as far as in it interferes with the O~rings 'distorting' freely?)...

I'm sure it would work with a bit of trial and error to get the dimensions right, but then again I've never seen it used comercialy with any O~ring application I've seen...
Just has to be wide enough for the O ring to fit in, you will probably want to go deeper because there will not be as much room for the O-ring to squish. And it can certainly hit the sides of the channels. All the cars I have worked on that used O rings for the water pumps and thermostats all hade the O ring squish against the sides of both walls. Remember this is a PC not anything high pressure. You don't have to be perfect with it.