Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-26-2003, 03:16 AM   #1
LordSmack
Cooling Neophyte

Default Swiftech mcw 5000a problems

I noticed something when I switched over from my venerable swiftech mcw462(non anonodized) waterblock to the mcw5000a. My temps went up by a few degrees!! I reseated and fooled with the block but to no avail. The temps were still unusuly high. While I was examining the block after I had removed it I noticed that the AS3 imprent was not in the center of the "drop plate" but in fact located near the botom left. I checked the instructions and saw that I had indeed installed the block correctaly with the arrows pointing towards the cam arm. Then it dawned on me that the "drop plate" is in fact in the center of the block which would make it off center because the socket mounting clip on the cam side is further away from the core than the other side. I checked the website and the block looks like the one on the site. My main problem is if the "drop plate" is not offset so the core sits at it's center then when you tighten down the rentention screws you will have uneven pressure on the core. I wonder if this is why my temps seem a little off. Any help would be appreciated

here is a photochop image of what the contact area looks like.

Last edited by LordSmack; 09-26-2003 at 12:01 PM.
LordSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
ndtinker
Cooling Neophyte

Hey! small world, eh? I still love that cube case of yours...

I've got the same block and if I remember right, the die imprint was always centered smack-dab in the middle of the base plate. I never really looked at that little sticker they put on there, but at the indentation of the copper base that is out of the way so the socket "hump" has room under it is how I orient my block. I may just be confused by your description.

Got any pics of it while it's mounted?

Jackson, TN's ONLY LAN Group
http://www.jacksongamingleague.com
ndtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
LordSmack
Cooling Neophyte

wow hey bud! I will work on pics but I will most likey just photochop a lineart image to show everyone what I mean..
Unread 09-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #4
LordSmack
Cooling Neophyte

image up.
Unread 09-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
HMB
Cooling Neophyte

You have probably turned the waterblock 180 degrees too much.
Unread 09-26-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
ndtinker
Cooling Neophyte

Those were my thoughts, too. I've got pics but our host is down for a few more days for upgrades...

so I'll try the upload image thing. This help any?

Sorry about the crappy quality, couldn't be more than 75k.

Well, now that I look at your drawing it looks alot like mine... I don't remember my proc being so off center though.

What temps are you getting exactly?

Mine were skyrocketing the other week, so I pulled it off to find only 1/4 of the CPU was even getting any contact, so I reapplied AS3 and all's been good since.

Mine hover around the mid to high 90's (*F) when the room temp's about 72*F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg block2.jpg (54.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by ndtinker; 09-26-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
LordSmack
Cooling Neophyte

If the waterblock was turned 180 degrees the core would have cracked. The block tells you how to align it on the side of the block. Not a bad suggestion though. I have found out in amdmb.com's forums the reason they do this is one retention clip has a longer spring and therefore more pressure. The only reason to have done this would be to hold the block down with even pressure since the block does not sit center. One person even took his block off to see if I was correct and infact I was. His sat off center also. My temps with a xp1700dlt3c(1.47v) sits at around 50deg celcius! That is with prime 95 running in maxium heat mode under the torture test setting. I am beginingto wonder if the temps are not just a board issue since my old board and setup never got over 38 deg celcius.....ever..... and i was running a pally at 1.85v
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Cptn. Foo Foo
Cooling Neophyte

I have the same block and the same problems...off center die BS and extremely high CPU temp BS. I am gonna ditch the block and get something better (such as a White Water).

Warning: to any AMD user thinking of buying a CPU block DONT get the Swiftech MCW5000a because it is not worth it !!! Take my word for it.
Cptn. Foo Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:08 PM   #9
dogbait
Cooling Neophyte

Can anyone tell me if they've noticed any problems with the anodized finish inside the block? ie. imperfections or areas of exposed aluminium?
dogbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #10
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

read, understand, and follow the instructions

the only thing demonstrated here is that you have not done so

and are your hoses applying a bending force on the wb ?
if you are having difficulty with 2 hoses, how much better are 3 going to be ?

all 'problems' have a solution, think on it
the many thousands of users of these wbs did figure it out,
you can too if you assess critically each step to identify the actual source of the 'problem'
(which is your inability to properly mount the wb)

foo foo indeed !
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #11
winewood
Cooling Savant

welcome to the Swiftech CUSTOMER SMACKDOWN!!

try tightening the screws and getting a greater clamping force. If your hoses are tight at all, they will put that sideways force on it. If you cant get your hoses to be nice to the block, recut some new ones.
Attempt a remount to get even pressure. I have mounted/unmounted some of my blocks and found big temp differences. You must "completely" remove, don't forget the thermal grease.
Unread 09-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #12
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by winewood
welcome to the Swiftech CUSTOMER SMACKDOWN!!

Quote:
Originally posted by unregistered
jd
it would seem that neither you or lr are much concerned with customer relations/satisfaction
if so - you are both 1st class fools

- when you learn how business works, you WILL realize that your customers ARE your business

hehehe. I however agree with unregistered in this case, but as a Swiftech employee he might want to "lighten" it up just a bit and explain in detail what the problem is. That's how customer service works for the business I am in charge of. No matter how stupidly easy the problem is they shouldn't have to "work" to hard to find an answer about the question. After all thats why they bought a pre-made block instead of making one.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #13
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

touché

but when he pulled that recommendation from his ..., a response was warranted
trust me, that was light

Swiftech has a tech support number, (562) 595-8009,plastered all over,
and we are well known for helping even those with hair on their plams and tails
but he chose to consult the procooling experts, all of whom ignored his difficulty
'cept whinewood, after the fact

BTW, I still have no real understanding of just what the 'problem' is; most unclear
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #14
Cptn. Foo Foo
Cooling Neophyte

Another problem I have with the Swiftech MCW5000a is that the "top" screw (the one that goes over the cam box) comes fully out of the block when I unscrew it to tension the spring. And I am fully aware of what the instructions say to do Mr. "unregistered."

The instructions say to loosen the screws until the screw's heads are 1/16" off the tops of the mounting clips. The problem is that the top screw is too short for that too happen. If I loosen the top screw to get that recommended 1/16" the screw comes right out of the block (and the block almost falls off the socket!!!). The other "bottom" mounting clip/spring assembly does not have this issue. I don't know if I got a bad block or what but the mounting system on the MCW5000a is pure crap as far as I'm concerned.

I used to use the earlier Swiftech block which is now discontinued (the MCW370 I believe is what it was called) and I never had any problems whatsoever with the mounting system on the block. In fact that block gave me WAAAAY better temperatures too! That block was designed so that the CPU die was right in the center at least. Plus it had a center inlet right over the die too.

I currently use the Swiftech MCW50 GPU block and have no issues with it at all. Plus I am planning on getting the new Swiftech chipset block to replace my crap DangerDen “Z” chip block.

The bottom line is that the MCW5000a just doesn’t impress me at all. It has too many problems/issues for AMD based systems in my opinion.

EDIT:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if they've noticed any problems with the anodized finish inside the block? ie. imperfections or areas of exposed aluminium?
I haven't opened up my MCW5000a as I have had no need to...but I did open up my old MCW370. After years of use I thought I would take a look inside and clean it up if necessary. What I found was that the block had a small spot of corrosion on the inside (right where the exit barb was screwed in). The copper base was 100% fine and the sealing gasket was OK too.

Last edited by Cptn. Foo Foo; 09-26-2003 at 05:40 PM.
Cptn. Foo Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
ndtinker
Cooling Neophyte

I have no complaints with the MCW5000 at all. It's given me none of the troubles you've had, not that I'm saying you're doing anything wrong, just that mine's been great.

And LordSmack, I'm really miffed on your temps - although, did you also get a new board at the same time you got this new block, or is it on the same board? I'm asking to see if the readings you're getting could just be off on a different board. If it's the same board, there has to be something funny going on.