Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 01-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

Default Please Help Me with My School Project (making waterblocks)

I have a school project of watercooling my computer and I am making my own waterblocks for my Asus Radeon 9800XT, P4 3.0Ghz(Prescott core), and the chipset on my Gigabyte motherboard GA-8KNXP.

I am thinking of using freon or some other liquid instead of water so I can get better performance, any ideas?

I have an idea for my CPU waterblock but I dont know much about it, nor do I have the dementions, it is a modifyed version of the WW waterblock, if any of u could help me in obtaining these blueprints I would greatly apreciate it. As for my GPU and chipset waterblocks I have no ideas, do any of u have some thoughts?

I would apreciate any help given, Laney

Last edited by spartansith; 01-18-2004 at 03:27 PM.
spartansith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Onlypro
Cooling Neophyte

You are not using freon, sorry dude.

If you havent made a waterblock before, I suggest keeping the project simple.

If it were me doing a school project, I would have data showing the temps of stock cooling vs watercooling, or waterccoling noise temps vs watercooling noise temps. Something that has purpose, things that can be useful if posted on this forum.

I have made a few waterblocks for the AMD platform, but I havent yet been comfortable enough to peal off the radeon heatsink and replace it with a DIY.
If I were you, I would focus on just one waterblock.

Seriously, thinking about doing all this stuff is great, but actually doing it is a pain in the butt.
Here is where you can find some mounting hole dimensions.

If you are making a rotor or WW style block, 7.5cm x 5cm is roughly what u want in regards to the dimensions.
Onlypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

yea well my dad can make anything out of metal (he is a tool and die man and where he works is alot of equiment that is used to make industrial quality things) that i need i just need the blueprints, this project is for a computer class where i teach myself, so could someone get me the WW blueprints, as soon as i get to it i will get my design onto here.

thanks, Laney

oh and my email is spartansithacad@cs.com and my aol IM is ssalaneysse incase u have some detailed dementions!!
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Onlypro
Cooling Neophyte

Lol! who is doing the project here!? Instead of asking for dimensions, I suggest you do a little research on the forums. There are so many threads here full of useful information.
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

ya, i have been looking on this forum for about a week and cant find the WW blueprints!! the project includes making a whole water cooling system and overclocking my computer!! o and what is wrong with freon?
Unread 01-16-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Freon is a refrigerant like R134 R404 etc...) , it will evaporate fast under normal open air pressure and temperature... It is to be used in a hermetically sealed heat exchangers...(refrigeration units) also called phase change cooling. If you really want honors for a project, then would it not go over much better, if you came up with our own Blueprints....
Unread 01-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartansith
ya, i have been looking on this forum for about a week and cant find the WW blueprints!! the project includes making a whole water cooling system and overclocking my computer!! o and what is wrong with freon?
Well for starters its not a liquid at STP which would make it an interesting liquid coolant to say the least.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

so what liquid do u suppose i ues, i am actually combining 4 different designs so i would say im making my own design, i just need the dimentions for the WW and the dimples used in cascade and how to make jets to go into the dimples.

im planing on haveing one chanal in for water and four going out.

so im not copying, i just need help

and if yall have any ideas please give them i need as much imput as i can get

thanks,

Laney
Unread 01-16-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
Blackeagle
Thermophile

One in and 4 out, with WW fins & Cascade dimples.

hhmmmm..........

Could you post a drawing giving more of a idea of what you wish to do?

As your father will be helping you with this, is he going to use a CNC mill for the metal work? Other machines he'll use?

While asking for help & info, you need to provide enough details of the basic idea to allow others to get a grip on what's in progress in order to offer intelligent advice & design concepts.

I myself would urge you to make a pin grid on a base of copper, then make a plexi or copper top, with your fathers help. A CNC mill can do a very nice job of such a design.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

k well i dont know how to put pics up on this thing but my dad will be doing it by hand, where he works there are industrial equitment and he can make everything percise, i do need to know how to make the injection jets.
Unread 01-16-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
superart
Cooling Savant

what exactly are you testing with your project?

If you just make a really cool block and get a high overclock, and just show that, you will get a really shitty grade. I'm not saying that to be mean, but thats just how science fairs and science projects work.

The best science projects pose one specific question, and then try to answer it through experiment. But before you start thinking about the experiment(s) you will do, think about what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to stick with the watercooling theme, brainstorm of a couple ideas that pertain to watercooling. And then form a question based on one of those ideas. Then design an experiment that will answer or prove that question. Then make sure to lay out the data from that experiment in a clear way, so that it is easy to understand and interpret.

For example, you could do something pertaining to materials used in waterblocks, or coolants, or flow rate, or optimal radiator configuration, or whatever.

Then say, out of those ideas, you picked coolants. Now pose a question or hypothesis, such as, "What is the best coolant for cooling microprocessors?" or "Is vodka a better coolant for cooling microprocessors than water?" or "Would additives to water make it a better or worse coolant?".

Then say you chose "Would additives to water make it a better or worse coolant?" as your topic. Now you have to design an experiment to answer your question. Remember, a good scientific experiment has to have a control, something to measure against. So your control would be pure distilled water. Then you would think of a couple additives. Perhaps different types of commercial antifreeze, you could try adding water-wetter which is a common water cooling additive, whatever.

Then you would design a way to test them. Perhaps a simple water block hooked up to a die sim or (to keep it accurate, this is a scientific venture after all) and a way to measure the values accurately.

Then, you would compare the data collected from your experimental with the data collected from your control (in this case pure water), and analyze it. If the data showed that additive X performed better than pure water, then your conclusion would be that "Adding additive X to water yields a more efficient coolant than pure water." If the data showed that the pure water was better than all the additives, then you would say something to the effect of, "Pure distilled water proved to be a more efficient coolant than all of the additives tested."

It also wouldn't hurt to add in a little about some applications for your research. something short and sweet, like "The data and conclusions obtained from this experiment may prove to be useful when deciding on what coolant to use for a small scale cooling system."

Thats the jest of it.

P.S.
I have been a judge at 2 science fairs, one on the middle-school level, and one on the High-school level. The thing that gets you the most points is the process you followed. I'm sure your teacher gave you guys a handout telling you about scientific method, and how the projects will be graded, and the process she wants to see. (S)he gives you that to help you. Follow it, and your project will be a lot better.

Also, the people who grade/judge these projects can tell if you did it or if your dad did it. Its great that your dad is willing to help you, but you should be doing the vast majority of the work, like I said, the judges can easily tell when the parents are doing most of it.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:00 PM   #12
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

well its not a science fair project or anything like that i have done those for years and always won in my class, the situation is that i go to a small private school and im in the 10th grade, there are a few advanced people in my school that would like to have a computer class, i am one, we have asked if we sould have one and they said next year, then a teacher sypathized with us and is watching over the class but we have to do the teaching to ourselves. the only requirements were that we do a group project for the school (making a tutorial for program usage(word, powerpoint,ect.) on computers for the teaches who dont know anything of them) and then we have to do an individual project, this is where this comes in, i asked if i could make my own water cooling system and overclock my computer and she say it would be a great project and that she is surprised to see me want to do something so large. so as u can see there are no requirements acept that it works and i get it done.
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:33 PM   #13
Onlypro
Cooling Neophyte

Get a pic of the AMD WW. If cant get a good relative guess to the dimesnions of the block in relationship to the AMD mounting holes drilled into the block, you gonna have problems designing it. :shrug:

I would say half a cm from the centre of each AMD mounting hole judging from the pictures I have seen. Add half a cm to the each side of this chart.
Unread 01-17-2004, 03:49 AM   #14
superart
Cooling Savant

ahh, I see. That sounds fun. I was in something like that when I was in highschool. We caled it tech-team. We were like the IT people. If there was a problem, we would have to fix it, otherwise we had a free period to do nothing.

You mentioned you wanted a block with 4 pipes out and 1 pipe in. Check out BladeRunner's threads. He did that. He also has some verry nice graphics cards blocks, which I think you mentioned also.

P.S. Sorry for not replying to your IM, I didnt get home untill like 430 in the morning. And its now 450, so if this doesnt make sense, sorry.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #15
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

here is my plan but it is not as symetrical as i want it cause its on MS Paint

blue is in and red is out
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

srry here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wb.JPG (19.7 KB, 340 views)
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #17
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

there will be 1/2 inch going in and something smaller going out and then into one 1/2inch tube! i just dont know what size to make the 4 outs or how to make them come into one, any suggestions?
Unread 01-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice.

I'd recomend going with a #rotor style water block, because it's easy to make, and it'll give you a very good performance, which should prove your case.

Stick to water cooling though: you still have to pick a fan/radiator and a pump. That'll take up more time than you think.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2004, 04:13 PM   #19
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

i have a heater core out of a car and its made of metal, i think ill make an external box to put all this stuff in and mount fans to push air though the heater core and some to pull the air though.

i need sugestions on the pump, ill have a wb for my CPU, GPU, and chipset which i dont know the dimentions of, so any ideas for a pump that can handel that but one thats not expensive, i cant go over $40USD and i would greatly apreatiate it if anyone could find one cheaper! any sugestions?
Unread 01-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #20
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

o and what is a #rotor style block?
Unread 01-18-2004, 01:39 AM   #21
kibbles
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
o and what is a #rotor style block?
Look here: http://3rotor.homelinux.com/

For a really easy to make block, you can't go wrong with the copper cap (I have made 3, similar to what is described on this webpage):
http://www.overclockers.com/articles678/
Unread 01-18-2004, 02:21 AM   #22
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Heh, you're getting a crash course in procooling. On the #rotor block though, if your dad has access and time on the equipment and wants to help you, make him some designs (the above one is the r0x!) and get some peices made - no point in making something that's been done before - it's no fun. Sometimes it's the best you can do, but you're working on a project, just try whatever out - it will be cool, even if the performance isn't right up there it will still be fun, and a learning experience.

On a side note, I saw (and touched ... ehehe) an original #rotor block, it was pretty damn cool, some great craftsmanship #rotor!

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2004, 06:12 AM   #23
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

From e-mail:-

Quote:
does ur water cooling setup do good? would it not seem that the heat coming from the cpu would not cool the other components?

i am doing a cpu wb too and was wondering how ur setup worked, im gona run cooling for as many components as i can, take a look at my tread and tell me what u think at http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8757

thanks,

Laney

I think my answer to a similar question by MSV HERE covers it without posting it again in this thread
Unread 01-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #24
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

i think i will go with this design but im open to sugestions, im not going to do a #rotor block cause i want something that i made up, well its morelike inspired from 3 wb designs.

o and i need some help in which pump to get, i need a inline pump that can handle 3-4 wbs, and i dont want to spend too much money, around $30-40 USD, and also ill get a final design up on here for critcizam.

thanks for the posts,
Laney
Unread 01-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #25
spartansith
Cooling Neophyte

another thing, any thoughts on what to name this block design?