Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
netwraith
Cooling Neophyte

Adaptec sells SnapServer line to OverLand Storage...

http://investor.adaptec.com/ReleaseD...leaseID=318856
netwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Morpheus256
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Adaptec sells SnapServer line to OverLand Storage...

This could be a very good thing!
Morpheus256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Thats too bad
EDIT: Or is it?
Unread 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
bsmith
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah I got the email this morning my self. I wonder what my clients are going to do?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

I wonder if this is why v5 GOS was pull after just a few days, or was there a major bug. But Adaptec is keeping the Guardian OS rights by that release.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
bitor
Cooling Savant

I wonder too. I was thinking before I read your post about the rights that maybe the new company was going to insert there logos etc..in it and make it there own. But knowing that Adaptec still owns the rights I would guess a major bug. That's why I always stay one OS behind the newest version. I tried to go and download the version 5.0 fast , but Adaptec had it removed. Maybe the new company will be more user friendly towards customers and not try and nickel and dime everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
I wonder if this is why v5 GOS was pull after just a few days, or was there a major bug. But Adaptec is keeping the Guardian OS rights by that release.

Last edited by bitor; 07-01-2008 at 06:04 AM.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
blue68f100
Thermophile

It would be nice to see them release the SnapOS v4 to the public.

Unread 07-01-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
MaddMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
I asked about GOS 5 today... (My terminology may be a little out)
* It will be made available again quite soon probably by the end of the week if not early next week.
* It was pulled because although it worked on most systems "in some cases" the upgrade process failed...
* Even the full upgrade was effected
* All new systems that leave the factory since the release are all being shipped running the new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith
Yeah I got the email this morning my self. I wonder what my clients are going to do?
Its all business as usual for at least 1-2 months, Your customers warranties should all continue unaffected by this change. - I have been through 4 previous changes like this and not once as a unit not been supported by the new owner... as long as it has a valid warranty & if you can prove when you purchased it... keep the TSID number handy and register your clients units for them, it will make it easier for them to get support when they need it.
MaddMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
bitor
Cooling Savant

Interesting delay in the re-release of the GOS 5.0.125. There must have been some MAJOR rootamental bugs in the GOS otherwise they would have released a patch or OverLand Storage is putting on there personal graphic touch. MadMatt stayed he said it would be re-released 5 days or so from his original post dated 07-01-2008. Well, I've check quiet often and no re-release as of today yet. I should have downloaded it while It was up, but I had no clue it would be removed that quickly. Oh well, looks like when I do get a chance to download it.... It will be filled with OverLand's graphics I suspect. I've read different reports on if Adaptec sold the GOS to OverLand or not. I find it hard to think that OverLand would buy Adaptec's servers and NOT have the GOS included with the purchase, but then again for 3M what do they want.

bitor

P.S. OverLand purchase SnapServer side for a total of 3M. Wow, what a bargain. Considering it was purchased not to long ago for 100M by Adaptec according to what I read about it.

You are correct on the 100M perchase. My bad.

Last edited by bitor; 07-29-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
MaddMatt

Hi Bitor,
- It is very strange, I do not have all of the answers and I was mislead regarding the re-release but I can tell you that my mates at Adaptec have given me the formulated a process where the original GOS5 release of the update will work, it involves a few actions and initiating the update from the CLI... I have not tried it yet but apparently All new units are still shipping with a fresh install of GOS5.

I think it was just coincidence they found it had a bug but during the time after they stopped it they saw the news and held back as they decided to wait until they could put Overland on it... The actual sale involved Adaptec handing over the Keys to the "SnapServer Building" that houses all of the Snap R&D Guys, the majority of whom (were included in the sale) would have been last to know about the sale they probably would not have known at the same time as they sent out the email to the snap support d-base...

The GOS OS was definitely included in the sale... I also heard that it was not but when I asked the guys I work with laughed their A's off... the hardware is insignificant, it can come from anywhere that makes a solid hardware system to run it on, the actual value is in the OS.

In that sense the hardware currently used is all 3rd party... I believe the 520/650/s50 come from SuperMicro and the 110, 210 & 410 come from a different Manufacturer... in reality they are not Adaptec's servers, if overland wants they can very easily add GOS to a modified 48 port chassis presto 48TB... but how many will they sell?

I was told that Overland paid 3.6M and you say that Adaptec Paid 20M? Adaptec told us/ or I read on the press release at the time, that they paid 100M for snap from Quantum but It was a while ago so may be totally wrong?
I would love to hear back from you if that was true or not... or let me know where you find old news items/press releases because I really need to know why I have the 100M figure as my recollection...

Adaptec may have paid 20M but said 100M on the press release because the leaders at the time may have had "little willy syndrome" what ever the reason... My interpretation is that they saw the sales of the 4100m and thought "if we put the Adaptec name on it we can charge what we want....".

Remember, I was selling 22Mbps Wifi and 54Mbps was just about to be released and Adaptec brought out an OEM Wifi 11Mbps range (that was twice the price of the 22Mbps I was already selling) Adaptec OEM'ed it from somewhere and expected it to sell because it had their logo... it lasted for about 3-4 months... I also sold the Firwire HBA's, they did sell ok retail wise but I was charging $60 for what my SI's were getting OEM out of tw for $10...
MaddMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Yes I agree - every aspect of SnapServers has improved for us.

Price, Inclusions, Support have all improved & Development has continued probably all due to the fact that Overland is a little more forward thinking and the Core of the Snap Team transferred across at the time of sale and must have been given the opportunity to keep going forward.

Since the start of this post in DEC 07 where the question was asked was the sale to Overland Storage a good thing or a bad thing?

I think we can well and truly say now that it has been;

Fan-FN-tastic!

From a 1st customer (original purchaser's) point of view it is awesome.
From a Current Customers (owners) point of view it is awesome.
From the home users (most of the people on this site) point of view it is awesome.

1st customers & Current owners; why?
  • Pricing has halved or more than halved, easily.
  • Pricing of services has halved or more than halved, easily.
  • Warranty has gone from 3 to 2 years but upgradeable to 5 full years if required either at time of purchase or per year.
  • All new units include two full years of software maintenance including access to updates
  • The cost of software maintenance including access to updates is now a fraction of what it used to be, A snaop410's has gone from several hundred dollars to $110ex.

Home users; why?
  • If you want access to software maintenance for any GOS snap it is now much more affordable and as an example Snap4500 12 months is $150 approx a snap210 is $65 and a snap410 $110
  • In the future there will be many more second hand SnapServers around for home user once they finish their tenure for the businesses that purchased them

But how did Adaptec get is so wrong?

- the guy at the top at Adaptec mucked it up... -who was he? lets call him Mr "A"
I wonder if he got a golden handshake?

Mr A paid $100,000,000 for Snap, to another guy Lets call him Mr X who only paid only $10,000,000 to get it from Snap Appliance...

From there it was penny pinching, over-charging & ripping everyone off blind to try to get back the $90,000,000, they didn't go close...
Then they sold it for $3,600,000 to Overland where Mr X, who sold it to them in the first instance, is on the board.
- Mr X, he made 90M for himself then Saves 96M for Overland! what a sales person!

I used to sell hundreds of Snap4100's, people loved them, I hope the new changes can see those days return...

The latest products that have been so much better have been hobbled by Mr A's mistake, he though he didn't have to to the checks on such a massive company purchase then he could put the Adaptec Logo on anything and charge anything!

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com....d?topic_id=614

Mr X must be one charming dude...

Max8

Last edited by Max8; 10-24-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max8 View Post
[*]If you want access to software maintenance for any GOS snap it is now much more affordable and as an example Snap4500 12 months is $150 approx a snap210 is $65 and a snap410 $110[*]In the future there will be many more second hand SnapServers around for home user once they finish their tenure for the businesses that purchased them[/list]
I would love a link to these prices. When I recently priced the software maintenance contract for my 4400 it was $700/year.

That was going through Overland to a service provider.
otoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

I will send you the part code and details on monday
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
tia
Unread 11-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
blue68f100
Thermophile

Max8, Can you post the code for others?

Unread 11-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
Max8, Can you post the code for others?
No Kidding... I paid a bunch more than that for mine...
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #17
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
No Kidding... I paid a bunch more than that for mine...
And I refused to pay the quoted amount from Overland's designated supplier. Even after going into direct discussions with Overland about the pricing. My point to them was I could buy a cheap new unit and have access for a couple of hundred bucks. But for my, actually your, old 4400, I had to pay close to $700 simply to upgrade the OpSys.

I'm salivating in anticipation for news of a policy change...
Unread 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
bitor
Cooling Savant

Max8 cannot wait until Monday!!

Quote:
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
blue68f100
Thermophile

It would be best to find a Distributor doing snapservers and working out who the Product manager or the best contact is who looks after Snapserver Sales.

Then telling them that you want to buy; e.g. 1x SWMAIN1E-S4000 and that you are a home user so they can advise what the best way is for you to buy it...

They will give you a link to buy online or the details of a reseller that they use for supplying updates... just let them know you are not a business and they will not waste your time getting you to buy a new unit...
- As the product is geared for Business they have not focused on supplying to Retail/home users at all... so they will always be thinking recurring sales if they think you are a business...

Pricing is in USD
12 Months Phone/Tech Support any unit at any age + Software entitlement;

SWMAIN1E-S600
1-Yr Software Maintenance, Snap 600 Series
$98.00

SWMAIN1E-S500
1-Yr Software Maintenance, Snap 500 Series
$98.00

SWMAIN1E-S410
1-Year Software Maint, 410
$77.00

SWMAIN1E-S210
1-Year Software Maint, 210
$41.00

SWMAIN1E-S110
1-Year Software Maint, 110
$41.00

SWMAIN1E-S4000
1-Yr Software Maintenance, Snap 4000 Series
$98.00

Anyone can register themselves for access to the customers support portal…

There is also a quote request section apparently where you can email them for a support quote

http://support.overlandstorage.com/touchpoint/login/

Those who have SnapOS units Overland has released it and can be downloaded here.
http://ftp.overlandstorage.com/cm/tm...OS_4_0_860.exe

Unread 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

thanks again. email sent to the reseller I last spoke to this past December.
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #21
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

WOW. Verified --- I now share Max8's excitement and extend further thanks!!!

$92 retail for the 4400 software contract. A far cry from the $695 quoted almost a year ago.

I am so glad Overland rethought the pricing structure and now see a company that is reversing the terrible attitude of the previous owners and has leveled the prices for the same software upgrade across different hardware lines. There is nothing to find fault there and much to applaud.

Excellent! I am truly impressed.
Unread 11-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #22
huispan
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the info chaps. I'm guessing this only applies if you own a copy of the software already and not a blank snap server?

Cheers
huispan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #23
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by huispan View Post
Thanks for the info chaps. I'm guessing this only applies if you own a copy of the software already and not a blank snap server?

Cheers
If your Snap has no OS on it, you need someone (like me) to get the OS on it for you first.
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Thank you for the info!
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoc View Post
WOW. Verified --- I now share Max8's excitement and extend further thanks!!!

$92 retail for the 4400 software contract. A far cry from the $695 quoted almost a year ago.

I am so glad Overland rethought the pricing structure and now see a company that is reversing the terrible attitude of the previous owners and has leveled the prices for the same software upgrade across different hardware lines. There is nothing to find fault there and much to applaud.

Excellent! I am truly impressed.
correction due to this response when ordering...
Quote:
Because the Hardware *warranty is expired now, a recertification inspection of the unit is required to confirm that it is operational and can be placed back onto a support agreement. The remote inspection is $100.00 (p/n INST-RECERTX) and if repairs are required to complete the recertification, they are not included in this fee.

Thank you for your inquiry. *This email contains a budgetary price quote to extend/renew service coverage. *

Thank you for choosing Overland Storage.

*Quote valid 30 days*

OVERLAND STORAGE WARRANTY RENEWAL QUOTE
edit:
disregard this as this hardware check is not needed for the software contract. Apparently someone made a mistake.

Last edited by otoc; 01-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.