Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-22-2002, 02:37 AM   #1
Volenti
Cooling Savant

My new evaporative cooling design

The goal was to achieve similar results to "traditional" bong's without the bulk and especially noise that they have.

this is the assembly almost ready to go;

The water enters via the short pipe at far right, and is distributed to all the pipes and overflows out the top of each pipe. Since the water flow is shared among so many pipes, (27) it doesn't exactly gush out, a feeble trickle is as much as any one pipe manages to achieve, this is where the next step comes in;

I have used a synthetic chamios, cut up and wrapped around each pipe, this ensures that the water completly surrounds each pipe and also increases the surface area exposed to air (I intended to cover the bottom feed pipes too but ran out of zip ties, job for later)

This is an over view of it in action (yes ghetto I know), the 6 8cm fans are low speed panaflows, and are pretty quiet even at 12v.

closer look;

currently averaging 3 degrees below ambient temp, one day I'll get around to putting all this lot into a case
Unread 09-22-2002, 04:52 AM   #2
ChrioN
Cooling Savant

Holycrap...whats that?!
ok its a alternative to bong and it seems to work good.

Last edited by ChrioN; 09-22-2002 at 04:59 AM.
ChrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

You seem to have a real knack for this stuff! Good work!

Bob
Unread 09-24-2002, 06:23 AM   #4
Gilhooley
Cooling Neophyte

Overkill

Hmm, a bit late now but I would try it without the 'synthetic chamios' and just 2 fans
blowing lengthwise instead of on top.
It's real fun to clean chamios from all dust and grime that you cant escape with an open system.

In my experience evap cooling is so effiecient that you easlily reach catchment area
of the surrounding air. Only thing that helps then is to exchange all the air in the room.

Im cooling a thunderbird at 1600Mhz with 1.85 v. - with an simple open reservoir.
It's just big - 40 liters, 5 degrees celcius over ambient.

Last edited by Gilhooley; 09-24-2002 at 06:29 AM.
Gilhooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
asx
Cooling Neophyte

I dont see a means of recollection, well i do, but it looks like the water would just fall out onto the table.

Last edited by asx; 09-24-2002 at 08:59 PM.
asx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2002, 06:20 AM   #6
gmat
Thermophile

... and your 6 fans are quieter than a single bong with 2 fans ?? I missed something here.

This point set aside, this is awesome. Don't you lose too much coolant though ?

(insert mad scientist joke here)
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2002, 06:59 AM   #7
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Overkill

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilhooley
Hmm, a bit late now but I would try it without the 'synthetic chamios' and just 2 fans
It's real fun to clean chamios from all dust and grime that you cant escape with an open system.

What about using scotchbrite instead of the chamois? At least it would take a long time to look dirty!

Bob
Unread 10-16-2002, 06:39 AM   #8
Gilhooley
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Re: Overkill

Quote:
Originally posted by utabintarbo
What about using scotchbrite instead of the chamois? At least it would take a long time to look dirty!

Bob
Yeah, but probably harder to clean with its hollow fibers. A nice big aquarium filter somewhere before the WB would probably catch 98% dust and miniscule bugs.

As long as its easy to move the 'evap' part of the bong to the bathtub and give it a hot shower - cleaning isn't much of a hassle.
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:02 PM   #9
dantheman
Cooling Savant

you could always duct the fans in from the sides, and seal it off. so have fans pushing in, and pulling out. Put filters on them, and that would reduce the mess on the medium quite a bit.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:32 PM   #10
Volenti
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by gmat
... and your 6 fans are quieter than a single bong with 2 fans ?? I missed something here.

This point set aside, this is awesome. Don't you lose too much coolant though ?

(insert mad scientist joke here)
6 very quiet low speed fans with no "shower in a drain pipe" sound, my single sunnon 12cm fan at 7v is still louder than all 6 of these fans at 12v.

I loose coolant equlivant to the cooling that happens, about 3-4L a day, depending on humidity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilhooley
... Hmm, a bit late now but I would try it without the 'synthetic chamios' and just 2 fans
The waterflow out of each pipe is so low (especially now with the reduced flow from my direct die block) that without the chamios there the water just "beads" down the side of the pipe in a thin line, doing buggerall for cooling.

The layout of this assembly is similar to a swiftech pin heatsink, would one of them perform better with a fan blowing through the side rather than on top?

Now that it's been running for some time I've been surprised by the lack of grime and gunk that isn't all over the chamois, it all seems to be staying in the water, happy about that.
Unread 10-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #11
Gilhooley
Cooling Neophyte

3-4L seems a bit excessive. Your could try running on fever fans - and see if you'll get higher temps. My guess would be 1-5 deg. higher but down to 0.5-1L instead.

Damn nice anyway :-)
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:38 AM   #12
peregrine
Cooling Neophyte

I'm thinking you should put a shroud around the top part of the pipes. (like on the alpha 8045 HS) That way the airflow travels along the full length of the pipes.

Wouldn't hurt to try, just line the top with some paper.

Last edited by peregrine; 10-30-2002 at 11:00 AM.
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote