Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 06-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
RedViper
Cooling Neophyte

Default Quick release valves

Hello;

I'm in the process of putting together the parts for my first WC system. While considering the configuration I remembered my days with marine aquariums. When I used cannister filters I quickly realized that it was much easier to no-flow valves on the intake and exhaust of the filter. What I'm wondering is whether such a configuration would work well on a WC system? I'm using 1/2 inch ID hose, so would such a device (positioned between the pump and radiator) restrict flow too much?
RedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You mean that gizmo that prevents backflow?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
RedViper
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
You mean that gizmo that prevents backflow?
Yeah. Male and female couplings with twist valves on both.
RedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
Nicepants42
Cooling Neophyte

I'm a complete idiot, but I've never heard of anyone using a flow-switch to prevent backflow in a WC setup. No one ever worries about it, because the only way you'll ever get backflow is if your pump dies (if then), and you'll have other things on your mind when that happens, I guarantee.

The only place it might come in handy is if you were to make a WC system using two pumps in parallel, so that if one pump were to fail, you could prevent backflow through it (this backflow would be caused by the 2nd pump). Maybe there's another use for it, I don't know.

Of course, the only way you could possibly build a WC system using two pumps in parallel is if you were someone with no grasp of physics and no tolerance for criticism, who is also prejudiced against New Zealanders. You don't seem like that type.
Nicepants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

lol

I think you probably mean something along the lines of stop valves, so you can move things around easily; disconnect for, ie, an external setup? Ive been looking for something like that which doesnt reduce flow much, but its hard to find whilst keeping the restriction small... If i find anything, ill let you know.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 03:19 AM   #6
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

Is this for a filter you'd like removable?
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Hansfragger
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
lol

I think you probably mean something along the lines of stop valves, so you can move things around easily; disconnect for, ie, an external setup? Ive been looking for something like that which doesnt reduce flow much, but its hard to find whilst keeping the restriction small... If i find anything, ill let you know.
I have been searching for a pair of quick disconnect fittings with valves in each side, bulkhead fittings on the case side, barbs for 1/2" ID hose, and 1/2" flow through the valve body. Omega and Colder make some, but only with 3/8" flow through the valves. They make a few configurations with 1/2" flow, but only for 3/4" ID hose. Colder also makes a beautiful aluminum 5/8" flow FL series which they state is their "highest flow, lowest pressure drop, valved couplings offered by CPC", but it is in-line. Good Luck!
PC P&C 750, ASUS DVD R/RW,
Velociraptor 300, Raptor 74,
Storm rev2, modified Laing DDC,
modified HL BI2 Extreme, 7/16 ID Tygon,
modified DD res, PC ICE, TT liquid temp monitor
Hansfragger is offline   Reply With Quote