Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
harveybham
Cooling Neophyte

Default snap server failed?

hi guys im from the UK and have got a snap server 2200. I was getting the "disk failed" message before and i wanted to fix that problem. I then formatted both disks in the snap server and now it just restarts.

It starts up and the status light flashes and then the disk light flashes twice!!

After reading many forums I think it needs a OS (if im right) as the OS is stored on the hdd rather than flash memory on this snap server

my question is if im right how do i get this working again, i know the data is lost but i need this device up and running assap

cheers
harveybham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
harveybham
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: snap server failed?

can anyone help me? even a comment to tell me what is wrong with it?
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
achapman
Cooling Neophyte

If it is a model where the OS is only stored on disk then you need to get a disk from a working snap 2200 (which will have the OS on it) to get your one going again.

Overland (the owners of the Snap brand now) do not make the OS available for owners of old models except on payment of a (considerable) fee. So there is nowhere you can (legally) download the OS you need.

You might be able to possibly buy a disk that had been in another 2200 if you could find one. Or you could buy another working 2200, get the OS, then sell it on. See http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...highlight=2200 for a similar case.

However you might be OK. Looking on the wiki (http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php...r_LED_Patterns) double flashes means a check operation is in progress. You need to wait while this completes, then you hopefully will find that the unit can be connected to and is working properly. A check operation can take some time, depending on disk size, the slowness of the CPU etc, the Raid configuration, number of disks etc. If you are impatient it won't complete and each time you boot it will restart the disk check. Give it a few hours or leave it overnight and try connecting the next day.

Whether you have bricked it depends on exactly what you did. The snapserver would keep copies of the OS on both disks. As long as you didn't remove both disks at the same time and wipe them both away from the snapserver the OS should still be there. If you left them in the unit and formatted the disks as you say then this only formats the data area; the OS is on a separate hidden partition and shouldn't be affected by this.

Andrew
1 Snap 4500 - 4 x 250gGb, GuardianOS

Last edited by achapman; 11-30-2010 at 11:17 AM.
achapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
harveybham
Cooling Neophyte

hi mate cheers for the reply

I cant believe that the company would charge you for the os! iv looked everywhere i cant find it on the net. I mean why would you store an OS on the disk for anyway!!

Basically what happened was, i was getting the disk failed message, so before i went to replace the disks i put them into a windows pc using a caddy, Windows then must have initlazied the disks and deleted everything for me! or i must have formatted them to work in windows!

Now the problem is that i start it up and then what i get is the system light flashes once and then the disk light flashes twice and then it stays with both lights on for a spilt second and then redo's the cycle!

I cant even view the config page or anything at all. Iv left it on for half a day thinkiing it will rebuild itself, but it wont.

I cant get access to another drive like this at all.

So have i completey ruined it by trying to save the data on it?

I still cant believe why a company would store the OS of a device on a disk!
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

If you would have read the FAQ's you would find your answer. You will need a 2200 image file to get you server back up and running.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
harveybham
Cooling Neophyte

hi mate,

Iv read all over the internet, my only problem is where do i get it from? I cant believe it that you have to pay for it. Their is always a way to solve these problems,

If anyone knows can they please let me know
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
blue68f100
Thermophile

Search the rapidshare sight for snap2200.bin and see if someone has it. The 1100 image may work too. I'm away from my servers for next 2 months. So I have no way of up linking it for you. There are other here that have it.

Overland has released the OS Free (EOL long time ago), just requires you to register. If you do not have the latest version go ahead and get it. I recommend reloading the OS after a image file load to correct any missing files. They have been sending users with SnapOS problems here.

Unread 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
harveybham
Cooling Neophyte

cheers for the updates.

Iv got hold of this file:

snap_sys_34805.sup its 30mb and Iv been told it will work with the snap server 2200.

THe question is how do i go about installing this??

any help will be great please
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
blue68f100
Thermophile

What you have is the SnapOS not a bin/image file that can be loaded onto a raw disk. Keep looking for the img file to reload the HD. That is the only way to reload a HD with out the special software used by the factory.

V4 is free from Overland but again you need to get a raw image file to boot your server.

Unread 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
harveybham
Cooling Neophyte

sorry guys, can anyone send me a PM link for the download file if possible as i need to get the drive up and running again.

Also where is the V4 from overload? where can i get that from??