Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
MarlboroMan
Cooling Neophyte

Feedback on enhanced 4000 PSU from Phoenix32

I think that it is important to post feedback on experiences on deals that we make with users that we have met through the forum. Reason being... I think pretty much all of us have been burned by on line deals that we have made on places like Ebay, which makes us some what less likely to want to take a risk and make a deal with someone over the Internet. When things fall into place and a user does a great job he should be recognized for the work that he has done.

Recently, I had the pleasure of working with Phoenix32 on the issues that I was having with two Snap 4000 servers that I purchased on Ebay. While I did not know of the existence of this forum prior to my purchase of these two Snap 4000 servers or the possible problems that I might face, I figured that since I was able to upgrade my Snap server 1100 twice, once from 40GB to 120GB, and then again from 120GB to 320GB, I figured that moving to the more powerful Snap 4000 with the RAID 5 was really what I was looking for, but little did I know that I would be facing some challenges in getting these two Snap 4000 series servers up and running.

Phoenix32 spent a lot of time answering my questions, even if they seemed stupid or off the mark. In the end I came to the realization that I over paid a little bit too much for both of these Snap 4000 servers and worse yet, in order to upgrade them I was going to have to replace the power supply in these units if I was going to put them into production with larger hard drives in them.

I looked at the other power supply option that was available, but I didn't really like the way that it was configured or the way that it looked. The additional power switch was also a big turn off. In the end Phoenix32 offered to sell me not one, but two of his replacement power supplies, which I first I felt was kind of pricy. After all the quoted price of $75 plus shipping seemed kind of steep to me considering that most power supplies in this range normally retail for much less. The reality however is that there are no more power supplies for the Snap 4000 series being made and other than the Northwest Technical option which costs even more than Phoenix32's quoted price with shipping, it was hard for me to swallow considering that I just laid out the cash for these two 4000 servers. I left the servers sit for a couple of months, while I pondered my options.

I had a few more discussions with Phoenix32 via Email and after these I felt like the replacement PSU option that he was offering was much better and more robust than the Northwest Technical options and in addition, it would run off the original power switch on the 4000 which was an important factor to me. I was still a bit worried, but I put my faith in Phoenix32 and ordered the two PSUs.

The PSUs arrived on time and they exceeded my expectations in every way! The PSUs were professionally modified and retro-fitted to fit the 4000 series Snap server which the kind of board level old world craftsmanship that we don't normally see very often in electronics today. The unit fit correctly into the Snap server and bolted in the same way that the old PSU unit did. In addition, the connections were well made and fit just like the original PSU that Snap provided. It was easy to install and it gave my four 250GB hard drives the power necessary to handle the load at boot up.

I am more than satisfied with the PSU units that I purchased for my 4000 series Snap servers and the quality of these units is simply outstanding. It works well, it was easy to install, and worth every dollar that I paid. It is a shame that he is no longer offering any additional PSU units for the 4000, as I would sure like to have an additional spare on the shelf should either of the current two units give up the ghost down the road like all power supplies do. (I am sure that there are some of you that have 4000 series units that could also benifit by buying a PSU from him as well!)

If you are considering doing business with Phoenix32, I can tell you that he is stand up guy who does high quality work and delivers what he says he is going to deliver. I can recommend him as authority on the Snap server 4000 who really knows his stuff and the PSUs that he sold me were great! This guy is NOT just some fly by night type who is looking to make a few bucks.

I want to publicly thank Phoenix32 for all of his help in getting my Snap 4000 servers up and running. I could not be more thrilled with the results. I look forward to getting a lot of service out of these Snap server 4000 boxes and I could not have done it without your help!
MarlboroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Feedback on enhanced 4000 PSU from Phoenix32

I uh, um, uh...

I don't know what to say for sure. I am a bit stunned to wake up on a Saturday morning to such a glowing report. To be honest, I am not used to it. Most people do not take the time to recognize someone who has helped or done good work anymore. I guess the best thing I can say is, thank you, but it just doesn't seem to cut it. I am grateful for such a glowing report on my work and to be appreciated. And I must admit, I am just happy I was able to help out, which is the only reason I do it in the first place. Thank you!

Old World? LOL Yeah I guess at 48 years old, that would be what I am alright, so fair enough. But to be fair, I am an (was, now retired) electronic engineering technician and retired US Navy Submariner, both of which have high standards to meet. Anything less than quality is an embarassment, and should be so.

To explain the price of those PSU, it is not for the hardware itself, it is for the time involved in making one. I figure at that price, minus pars and supplies, I get about $5/hour for my work and I feel that is as fair as it gets.

For others who contact me, and I do not want this to tun into an advertisement, I share my knowledge freely, but if you want large chunks of my time or parts etc, it aint free to me, so it won't be to you. I get a lot of PM's and e-mails from people wanting this or that, and I don't mind at all. I try to help those I can, but I have to be honest when I tell you, some people want everything free, and get upset when you won't "give" them this or that or fix it for them for nothing. If it costs me nothing, then I do it for nothing if I can. But if it costs me, it is going to cost you. I am not paying for someone elses units or repairs. Simple.

As for doing some more of those power supplies for you. I had not planned on doing any more, but I will do a couple more of them for you. However, I will need one of your 4000 units to test them with. I no longer have a 4000 unit to do the verification testing. I am anal about making sure something is 100% before I put it out there.

MarlboroMan, thank you. I truly did not expect to receive this. And I admit you made my day. Not because somenone made me sound good, but because I know I was able to truly help someone out who needed it and they appreciated it. That warm fuzzy feeling is worth plenty to me. Thank you again.

Now let me try to slink off, get my head out of the clouds , and try to get back to feeling humble (as we all should).

WARNING, Advertisement ahead...

I am selling off a few SNAP Guardian units on eBay if anyone is interested. Turns out I didn't need them or what they were purchased for. But I went through them top to bottom, upgraded them etc, and they are top notch units, ready to rock and roll.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
blue68f100
Thermophile

Andy,

It's about time someone (besides me) give you the reconition your deserive.

You have always done a lot of testing, that most do not have a clue on how much time it takes to fully test a unit. As normal, you do a Great Job.

David

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Thank you David.

Okay, you guys can stop now, I am blushing already...

But I mean it, thank you...

And David, the same goes for you. I do not know of anyone who has helped more people on this part of the forum than you. Period. Good job... Well Done...

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 09-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
tje
Cooling Neophyte

Just to add my thumbs up to the glowing recommendations of Phoenix32
He was still happy to do business with me, even though I'm in the UK.
A top guy, and a real asset to this forum.
tje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
rpmurray
Cooling Savant

Phoenix32, in your message you say you have no more 4000's to test with, but your signature has:

1 x SNAP 4000

maybe time for an update?
rpmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Happy?

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 09-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
rpmurray
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32
Happy?
Well, I was thinking you could spif it up a bit, maybe add a nice animation, color code the different models, and add a link to a video on YouTube of them all in action, possibly ending with you sheding a tear as your last 4000 sails into the sunset.
rpmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Phoenix32
Thermophile

This just goes to prove, "There is no pleasing some people"...

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067