Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
raydawg
Cooling Neophyte

Default 4100 - died, help with recovery please

our 4100 unit seemily died. we couldn't access the web config anymore and when we went to check out the system because we figured it was a bad disk we noticed that the LED panel wasn't even lit.

when the computer is plugged in the PSU fan starts and never stops. pressing the power button seemingly has no effect since the nothing happens. no led lights or anything.

when we plug the machine in with the HDD"s unplugged the PSU fan spins for a second then dies. with the HDD's plugged in and no RAM installed i get the first behavior as well of spinning PSU fan but nothing else.

can anyone please help me figure out whats wrong with this unit? i dont care about the data, we have a full backup unit. i just want this unit back up and running.

thanks
-Ray

*PS*
also the CPU fan seems to randomly come on for a minute or two then die out

Last edited by raydawg; 03-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.
raydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: 4100 - died, help with recovery please

It sounds like you have either lost a PS or MB. If this is the case do not install the HD in anything. The data is still there, nothing is lost. So once the unit it replaced/repaired you will be able to access the data.

Do you have access to another 4100 you can use for parts? if so start with the PS. Or you can move all of the HD over to the backup machine, maintain order of the HDs. I have seen HD's fail and overload the PS, as well as cpu fans fail and the unit shutdowns due to over heating. The cpu fan is controlled by the cpu if it is plugged in to the right port. Some like it to run 24/7 and connect it up so it does. As far as buying parts your better off buying another used unit. You can get a complete 4100 for around $100. This will give you a MB too. The last time someone checked the PS were around $50+. The MB is > $120..

Do you by chance remember what SnapOS version you were running? This may come into play if the MB is replaced. Since the OS resides in flashram, if newer will do an update to the HD's. But if older, it should try to update the flashram, which does not always work.

I have a 4100 for sell (in Signature) as well as some listed in out clasified section. Your other source is eBay.

Do not innstall the HD in a windows pc or it will wipe it clean. Windows can not read the snapos file structure. You can check the HD with SpinRite.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
raydawg
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: 4100 - died, help with recovery please

wow thanks so much for such a detailed response. when we bought this unit we bought a batch of like 6 of them back in the day for various purposes. another one had died a year or so ago so i will check what parts on that one are still good and maybe ill get lucky.

ill let you know what happens.

thanks again
-Ray
raydawg is offline   Reply With Quote