Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-16-2004, 02:55 AM   #1
vuieeuivnzpi
Cooling Neophyte

Default Overclocking Problems

Hey guys, I am currently having a problem with trying to overclock my CPU. For some reason when I set the clock speed in the bios, it has no effect on the actual clock speed as tested using Sisoft Sandra. I'll list the relevant components in my system here:

2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB Pentium 4
DFI LanParty Pro 875
1024Mb Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel Ram
GeForce FX5900

I've read reviews about my exact motherboard and CPU combo being used to overclock to 3.0Ghz+ so I know it should work... it just doesn't. Anyone have any ideas why?
vuieeuivnzpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
Tempus
Cooling Savant

What are you setting the FSB to?
Unread 08-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
vuieeuivnzpi
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
What are you setting the FSB to?
As far as I know, 800Mhz... I don't know how to set it to anything else?
Unread 08-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Perhaps you should read up on overclocking, as you clearly need to

To overclock a p4 you have to up the front side bus. Your ram doesnt give you much head room though, not at 1:1 anyway.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Actually, I was trying to figure out how you were overclocking. If you were just trying to reset the multiplier, then nothing will happen - the multiplier is hardware locked.

If you are upping the FSB and still nothing in changing, then you are probably doing something wrong - perhaps you are exiting the bios without saving changes.

The Lanparty mobo should have a genie menu (I think thats what is it. I'll recheck mine when I get home - its the far right meni in the bios) that gives you some easy overclocking options. You might want to try those.
Unread 08-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
vuieeuivnzpi
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
Actually, I was trying to figure out how you were overclocking. If you were just trying to reset the multiplier, then nothing will happen - the multiplier is hardware locked.

If you are upping the FSB and still nothing in changing, then you are probably doing something wrong - perhaps you are exiting the bios without saving changes.

The Lanparty mobo should have a genie menu (I think thats what is it. I'll recheck mine when I get home - its the far right meni in the bios) that gives you some easy overclocking options. You might want to try those.
Yes the multiplier is locked, and there is no option to change it. I have been resetting the FSB speed, but i was just unfamiliar that it was referred to as the FSB speed matter of fact. Default is 200, i have tried changing it in increments of 3, and even setting it to 300 when i was very frustrated at one point. I know that I am saving it because the number I enter is saved after restarting.