Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-12-2003, 11:51 PM   #1
mrobsidian
Cooling Neophyte

Default Hydrothruster 500 setup questions

Hey guys, I am building a water-cooling rig for my P4. I have a hydrothruster 500, but I am not sure how to properly install it in the water cooling system. In some of the articles here that use this pump, it appears PVC pipe was fixed onto the intake and exhaust. I was wondering if anyone could provide instructions on what to get and how to install it.

I have 3/8" tubing (good stuff) for the water cooling sytem, but I was going to get some 1/2" for the intake on the pump.

Also, any suggestions on resivoirs would be great... I have the stuff to make my own, but I am not sure if I am going to get around to it anytime soon

-Robert
mrobsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
koslov
Cooling Savant

Wow, what a rarity! I thought those were discontinued! You'll have to tell us where you found it.

Try to keep your intake hose as big as possible, this will cut down on flow restriction and noise. Better yet, attach your reservoir directly to your pump intake, this is what I did with mine. And depending on your other components, it is probably better to run 1/2" tubing throughout your system.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 02:21 AM   #3
mrobsidian
Cooling Neophyte

Default Thanks, but I need more instruction :x

I actually bought it a year or two ago, but I never got around to putting together a water-cooling rig. Now that I am actually putting the rig together, I have some more specific questions about the pump...

1.What do I hook onto the intake/exhaust. The intake is just kinda a hole and the exhaust is just a little plastic nipple (or something). What do I need to buy for it, and how do I assemble it? (I am a complete newbie)

2. What is your suggestion for the 1/2" tubing? I have some good stuff from McMasters, but its 3/8" ID.

3. What would you suggest for the resivoir? I have some model airplane fuel tanks, but I haven't decided if I should make my own or just buy one.

I hope you guys don't mind helping out a newbie... If I have missed any instructional articles on the website that would answer some of my questions (specifically about the Hydrothruster), then please post links

-Robert
Unread 01-13-2003, 02:54 AM   #4
koslov
Cooling Savant

1. I'm not familiar with the Hydrothruster fittings but... Are the holes threaded? If so, you can pick up some threaded plastic barbs to screw in there at Home Depot, with some teflon tape to seal it.

2. The de facto standard currently is Tygon( http://becooling.safeshopper.com/28/164.htm?805 ) tubing, but it is quite expensive. Supposedly Clearflex( http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant...ategory_Code=H ) is just as good, but significantly cheaper.

3. Reservoirs... seem so simple, but a lot of people have different views on what they should be. I believe they should be a low pressure area connected to the pump intake where the pump can suck water from without much restriction. Also, they should be able to trap air from the coolant loop quickly. If you run your pump continuously, it doesn't matter physically where it is located, but if not, it is best to have a part of the reservoir occupying the highest point in the system. A res should also have a fill point.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 03:08 AM   #5
mrobsidian
Cooling Neophyte

Default Hydrothruster

The intake is a smooth 7/8" ID, 1" OD, hard plastic tube that sticks out about an inch. The exhaust is a 1/2" ID, 6/8" OD hard plastic tube that extends from the top about an inch and is not barbed. It tapers just a bit at the end (from the OD to the ID).
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That's good news: You can pickup a standard 3/4 fitting (socket to thread adapter), and it will fit nicely over the 1 inch OD pump intake. You can then screw in a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer, to screw in a 1/2 barb. It's a good configuration.

As for the pump outlet, a 1/2 fitting should fit over a 3/4 OD, in the same fashion as above.

You'll have to use a good glue (and Goop to seal it all, if necessary). The glue is going to be hard to choose, especially if your pump housing is glass-filled polypropylene...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 03:32 PM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Joe used the same pump in some of his tests...

It looks like he used a pressure fitting, on the inlet.

I'm googled out: what's the plastic on the housing of the HydroThruster 500? Is it an acrylic, or a polypropylene? Can't pick a glue without the info...but could try a few: Devcon's "Plastic Welder", superglue, PVC primer and cement (probably not) or our ole'time favorite: Goop! (but I prefer to keep that for sealing leaks).

Otherwise, Joe's "mechanical" joint will work well.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
hmale
Cooling Savant

Follow the link below to a setup I made with the hydrothruster
here

Cheers!
hmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #9
Axle
Cooling Savant

Good gawd that's a huge pump!!