Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 06-29-2001, 07:12 PM   #1
Petrus
Cooling Neophyte

Default MAZE2-2 good enough for two 172W peltiers?!

I kind of doubt it. It's designed to provide the best cooling in the middle and less at either end, not optimal for cooling two peltiers(?).
From the pictures the cold plate also looks a bit on the thin side for two 172W peltiers. I'd rather have it being 10-12mm thick (~ 7/16"-1/2") so it can disperse the heat more evenly to the peltiers.

What do you think/know?

I'm thinking about making my own two-peltier waterblock, and I'm planing to copy the exterior design of the MAZE2-2, but with a thicker cold-plate and perhaps a bit bigger block.

But how do one mill the grooves to get optimal performance with two peltiers?

I'm thinking about a MAZE1 style block, with the grooves going along the length of the block, or perhaps a dual MAZE1 design with two intake and two output 12.5mm (1/2") fittings.

What are your thoughts on this?
Unread 06-30-2001, 04:09 AM   #2
hielko
Cooling Savant

You are correct.

I'm also going to use two 172W peltiers and I also came to the conclusion that the Maze2-2 isn't the ideal block.

The coldplate is to thin and there are to many turns. Therefor i'm going to use a 6mm thick coldplate and a square spiral maze design:

Code:
0------------------|
                   |
|----------------| |
|                | |
| 0--------------| |
|                  |
|------------------|
hielko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2001, 11:56 AM   #3
Petrus
Cooling Neophyte

Not bad, looks like a good design you got there. How wide are you going to mill the grooves (is that what you call them in english?)? Im thinking 10mm with...say 2mm of material between them. That would give you a block thats 4*10+5*2=50mm wide. Mayby that's too small, 12mm / 2mm => 58mm might be better. Are any of these dimensions resonable?
Unread 07-01-2001, 04:27 AM   #4
hielko
Cooling Savant

Brian from Be Cooling has created the waterblock for me. It's on it's way to me right now. The waterblock itself is 3/4" thick. The channel width, 5/16". Depth is .64". The channels have the same jagged edge's as the jagged edge waterblock from Be Cooling.

And about the width of the block: remember the pelts aren't bigger than 40x40mm so most of the channels should be in an area of 80mmx40mm if you are going to use to pelt. So a block with a 50mm width is enough, more isalso a problem for most mobo's.
hielko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2001, 09:42 PM   #5
mkosem
Cooling Savant

how much did you pay brian to make that block?

--Matt
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote